Surveillance Camera System - TME

My landlord and I are having some problems. We have someone stealing our mail and packages. He asked me if I knew a good camera setup; he's going to pay for it. There are so many options out there.

-We want to be able to access it from our phones/pc
-night vision
-discreet
-easy setup
-it's for outdoor use. Monitoring front door way and a few other entrances.

Any experts on this?

I would make sure that the bathroom camera is set down low, by the floor, at an upward angle. That is if you want the best shot at a "package".
With tasteful lighting and the right setting, you'll have some quality video in no time.

Interested in this as well.

I don't necessarily need the night vision, but something simple with a couple of cameras that I can access via app or web would be great.

in

Squirrel, Blue Belt - I would make sure that the bathroom camera is set down low, by the floor, at an upward angle. That is if you want the best shot at a "package".
With tasteful lighting and the right setting, you'll have some quality video in no time.

First post nails it once again.

Neighbor setup a nest camera to catch his neighbor messing with his trash cans.  Ended up catching some black dude at 4 am checking people's front doors.  The night vision quality is excellent and based on my nest thermostat, it should work flawless with your phone.  It slides require a juicy wifi signal though.  

I was thinking poe (power over Ethernet) wired cameras with a Dvr in the attic, but I may go the nest route after seeing his video footage. 

Helping a buddy set set up a ring pro doorbell this weekend (don't have to run a power cable) - hoping to compare the two. 

CCD chips are significantly better than their cheaper CMOS counterparts, especially at night. Unless you have a lot of ambient light, you won't get much more than a fuzzy image at night with most CMOS chips.

In for research. It's time to upgrade my cameras. 

TrickedYa -

CCD chips are significantly better than their cheaper CMOS counterparts, especially at night. Unless you have a lot of ambient light, you won't get much more than a fuzzy image at night with most CMOS chips.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDpp2_w3XA

Ttt

Sub

What is a decent budget for a four camera system, to cover the entrances to a house?

Arlo system made by Netgear. Completely wireless and sets up in minutes. Looking to buy it myself. You can buy a two or five camera system. No fee for the cloud or monitoring.

I think my co-worker has the Arlo..he seems to like it

Just make sure you don't mind changing the batteries every few months...the batteries might be expensive too, I don't know

In

tjmitch - What is a decent budget for a four camera system, to cover the entrances to a house?

Decent CMOS system, about $300-$400. Decent CCD system, about $600-$700.

With the CMOS, if you have an issue at night, you'll be able to see what happened, but you aren't going to be able to definitively identify anyone. With the CCD system you have a decent chance of being able to make the person out.

Supercircuits.com is a good site. They sell everything from cheap homeowner stuff through professional grade. Good sales support also.

(Back when I had my own business I used to sell and install security camera systems - mostly commercial)

caseman - Arlo system made by Netgear. Completely wireless and sets up in minutes. Looking to buy it myself. You can buy a two or five camera system. No fee for the cloud or monitoring.

I have one Arlo on my front door. It's just OK. Obviously, the best bet is a professionally installed system with a DVR with a large hard drive to hold several days. Problem is you're looking at $2000-3000 for a 3 cam, HD, night vision setup. 

Arlo will probably do what you're looking for, OP but bear in mind that it's only motion activated. If they don't trip it, no vid. 

Damn, I created a thread after you. Didn't see this. Sorry OP!

pfsjkd -
caseman - Arlo system made by Netgear. Completely wireless and sets up in minutes. Looking to buy it myself. You can buy a two or five camera system. No fee for the cloud or monitoring.

I have one Arlo on my front door. It's just OK. Obviously, the best bet is a professionally installed system with a DVR with a large hard drive to hold several days. Problem is you're looking at $2000-3000 for a 3 cam, HD, night vision setup. 

Arlo will probably do what you're looking for, OP but bear in mind that it's only motion activated. If they don't trip it, no vid. 

Nope. You can get what you described for anywhere from a few hundred bucks on up. Obviously the more you go up, the better the cameras, but nonethelss you could get a complete, decent system with networked DVR and hard drive for about $300. The DVRs are not that expensive anymore.