I just got a sweatsuit and would like to know if
anybody here has any opinions on whether they are
good for losing weight/burning fat. I know they
temporarily reduce excess water weight. Is that all
they can do , and does this mean any loss in weight is
only temporary? If I compared my results after a
month of running with one on and without one , would
there be much of a difference?

They work for me. When I have to cut weight for a tournament, I usually wear a sweat suit and sweatpants/sweatshirt and a t-shirt.

"I know they temporarily reduce excess water weight. Is that all they can do , and does this mean any loss in weight is only temporary?" Yes, the weight loss is only from the fluids lost through sweat. There is a minimal increase in caloric expenditure just from increasing body temp through external sources.

",...but is extremely dangerous and can't be good on your kidneys." In what way does excess sweating harm the kidneys?

Best in Health and Training, J. R.

JRSFITNESS1, you are an authority so I will look to you to back up what I am writing as correct or incorrect.

Obviously you should make weight without having to resort to using a plastic suit to make weight. Its best to make weight the right way and that means slowly, a 2-3 lb. (in fat) a week loss is optimal from what I understand.

That said, there are dangers in plastic suits. They promote severe dehydration which, if you are trying to make weight you are already most likely experiencing. (I remember seeing guys trying to make weight by sucking on jolley ranchers, spitting in a cup, not drinking water and eating nothing but dry salad for two days.) the result was that they were incredibly weak and lathargic. Cutting that much water weight is dangerous and people have died from it in wrestling. Besides that you don't have fat stores to burn off so you'll be that much weaker.

buddie

Buddie, I'm no authority, I just use big words and people believe me. Part of my charm is the ability to seem ubiquitous while at the same time appearing introspective and quietly self assured. *snicker*

Anyway, I agree with what you say about the sweatsuits being almost evil. However, I don't think that the original question was about quick weight loss for making weight. Rather I took it as wanting to know if just wearing a suit while exercising leads to an increase in actual fat loss along with the water weight lost. Hopefully antoniomontana will clarify.

Best in Health and Training, J. R.

Thanks for the responses.

"Rather I took it as wanting to know if just wearing a suit while exercising leads to an increase in actual fat loss along with the water weight lost"

Yes , this is what I wanted to know. If it doesnt then
I am a little confused as to why someone would use
them other than in an emergency situation like the
day or so before a fight/tournament. Unless of course
they are simply uninformed?

you're only going to lose water weight from a plastic suit. The box on most of them is pretty misinforming anyway.. "helps trim away unsightly waterweight" with most people not realizing that it's just a quick method of dehydrating.

Is there a limit as to how much weight you should cut at one time? I usually get around to within 10lbs cause I know that comes off quick and easy.

People don't use them constantly, it would just dehydrate the crap out of you. I have enough problems staying hydrated without wearing rubber suits.

There is a definately a limit to what you should cut at one time.