Sweep I Hit in Comp - Rev Berimbolo/Spiral Sweep

Hey everyone...so I'm just going through my vidoes and pulling out some moves I hit in comp and then following it up with some detailed instruction.

This one is of what "I" call the Reverse Berimbolo (I know I know some people may not agree)...I've been recently calling it the Spiral Sweep.

The video shows me hitting it in comp and then right after I give detailed instructions on how I did it.  I know more and more people are using it and it's high percentage sweep but very energy effectient as well.

Hope you enjoy,

Jason Scully

Here's a solo drill I like to do to help with this sweep, Berimbolos, Spinning Sweeps, Inverted Guard Recovery, etc...

I really enjoyed this. Thanks Jason.

I will begin practicing, and I think it will make a nice addition to my game.

it think it's called "beijo do dragao" or "kiss of the dragon".

This is called the "Kiss of the Dragon"

Ok...Kiss of Dragon...never knew what it was called...Looks like a Spiral to me haha..but Kiss of Dragon sounds cool too.

If Jeff Glover and Ryan hall had a kid it would look like Jason Scully.

Thanks! I've been starting (or trying) to implement this and berimbolo to my game.

i love this tech.

I like the sweep. I have a counter I use to this that works perfect that ruins the attempt for the sweep.

dcvillain - I like the sweep. I have a counter I use to this that works perfect that ruins the attempt for the sweep.

Yeah...I'm aware of some counters too...theres always a counter to everything :-).

I know Jason, I was just saying I appreciate the technique and it just made me think of the counter. Good job on the sweep in competition, it was really smooth.

dcvillain - I know Jason, I was just saying I appreciate the technique and it just made me think of the counter. Good job on the sweep in competition, it was really smooth.

No doubt....we were drilling counters to this yesterday...they are actually important for me to know cause a lot of players in my division at the Pans and Worlds are playing this type of game.

What kind of counters give you guys the most trouble when doing this technique? I find that a lot of the typical counters that are effective in shutting down the back take open the opponent up to the single leg instead.

Shemhazai - What kind of counters give you guys the most trouble when doing this technique? I find that a lot of the typical counters that are effective in shutting down the back take open the opponent up to the single leg instead.

Hi Shemhazai (I recognize you from mginaction)-

I don't personally have counters to this, however:

A couple of times when Ryan Hall played a similar type game on Marcelo on MGinaction, MG would grab the outer foot and prevent the spin from happening.

I spoke to MG last weekend, and he also mentioned how he likes to pull his leg straight up in the air, to detach himself from leg entanglements.

Yeah, Marcelo is amazing at just stepping out of all of those single-legged entanglements, be it spiral guard, 50/50 or 1LXG. His deep half counters are pretty sick as well. Poor Ryan must get so frustrated. :P

Popovitch covers a pretty good approach to countering the spiral guard here:

http://youtu.be/5kJOQXbRf-w

As you can see, he controls the outside leg much like Marcelo does, while sitting to prevent the opponent from getting underneath his hips. When people do this sitting counter to me, I usually try to get rid of the grip on my outside leg (arm drag, leg work, whatever), then either come up for the single leg or maybe switch to the berimbolo.

Art Corvelay - OP's recent videos have made it readily apparent which training partners are on "the forums." Will worlds collide? Will independent forum identities be destroyed?

Cool instructionals, nice length to pique interest in techniques for further exploration.

Hahaha....for some reason the first part of this thread confused me. Phone Post

I meant to say "post" not "thread" Phone Post

Art Corvelay - Your last two videos have inspired a few people o know to try these sweeps, thus I know they read this or another forum you've posted them on.

Ahhhh makes sense now. Thanks. Yeah I posts pretty much everywhere. Phone Post

Bugsy0088 -  Awesome Phone Post

Thanks