Swimming - Anybody swim regularly for exercise?

Ever try night time swimming?

Get coaching. Swimming is mostly technique driven provided you’re aerobically fit.

1 Like

I’ve definitely shown some improvement since practicing my breathing with help from this thread. Instead of a breath like every stroke to feel like I’m not suffocating I am able to calm it down some to about every third. Still suck, but improving.

Nice to see this thread still getting some traction. I just did the 2 hour round trip into the pool for some laps. I’m not setting the world on fire, but I’m still getting in there regularly and putting in the work.

Sor some reason, this stupid fitbit always skips my first lap. I end up at the same wall I started from so I know it’s an even number of laps, yet it always reads one lap short, with the odd number. Nonetheless, I put in my 40 laps this morning, and a good 15 minutes in the sauna, with 10 to follow in the hot tub. Cold shower, and an awesome drive home through the mountains, feeling like a million bucks.

Also noteworthy, when I go out on the lake with the paddle board and jump in for a swim, I find I am feeling so much stronger than I ever have felt swimming on a lake before. I was blown away with how good and strong I felt out there. That was rewarding.

4 Likes

Ya, I’ve been practicing the three stroke breath technique as well. It’s coming along, but every once in a while I have to say fuck it, and start breathing with every stroke again.

2 Likes

When I did it was the best exercise by a country mile. It also helped my grappling cardio - took it to highest level. There is no impact on joints and it’s calming- going back to the pool this week

It’s all about the rhythm and stay calm. Keep your flutter kick constant and your pace at a level that works for you. When you are going and you turn your head for breath don’t try to inhale the world be calm.

1 Like

Ha yep same. You’re better than me though.

1 Like

I would definitely hire a coach to learn proper technique. Swimming is all technique. Once you learn proper form you can relax and can swim for a very long time. Global Triathlon Network has alot of good instructional videos on swimming form and technique. Sounds odd but slow and smooth is fast.

2 Likes

Also breath what’s comfortable for you in the long run. Most long distance open water swimmers breath every stroke or two. Everyone is different. Some bilateral breath and some don’t. It’s all about finding what’s most efficient for you.

3 Likes

^ That’s reassuring. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

Nice job.

For motivation: here are a few pics I took during one of my recent open water swims in Chicago (Lake Michigan)

2 Likes

Been swimming for 17ish years

Got burned out running and was hooked on swimming after a month when I woke up one day and nothing hurt

4 Likes

That’s awesome. Do you participate in open water events? Always wanted to do one. Nothing crazy but a two or three mile swim event.

No competitions yet. I just swim for enjoyment. However, I’m Thinking about doing the Chicago triathlon later this month.

1 Like

Question for you guys, as it didn’t come up yet: what are you guys wearing when you swim? Several years ago, I surrendered to wearing proper swimwear, and I find that it makes a difference in terms of drag. I also wear a swim cap.

Ive been wearing an edible G-string while swimming, cuts the drag down to almost nothing

1 Like

merman GIF

2 Likes

Could never bring myself to wear a cocksock. I wear board shorts, cap and goggles.

1 Like