Sword duel--Schlager damage!

This is a photo (circa 1900) of the aftermath of a mensur (duel) with schlagers (narrow cutting swords)--a popular method of fencing in Germany that is still done today. You wear iron goggles to protect your eyes, and the neck, shoudlers, and sword arm are covered in mail and kevlar. The idea is to cut the opponent on the face (cheeks, forehead, chin, etc). It's all hand technique--no footwork is allowed. Bizarre.This poor guy took a pretty bad cut--quite a bit of blood...

damn...

the guy on the top left looks like a young Pee-Wee herman

They still do that in some fraternaties in Germany. To get in, you have to participate in a certain number of duels (I think it's 3). Basically, you have to stand perfectly still & defend yourself - if you move, you lose, and it's considered cowardly.

Those are probably his frat bros smiling while the doc sews him up.

is that the blade sticking in his forehead - damn

I think it's a clamp or something.

I saw an article on this a couple years ago. They actually stand on a small box, this is to ensure you stay where you are suppose to.

that's a screwed up pic!!

My wife's grandfather participated in these when he was a young lad in Germany. Took two on either cheek, and one on top of the head. The worst cut was behind your head, as it meant you ran for your life. The best cut was above the head (or so he said) as it meant that you didn't budge or flinch even if the blade was coming at you.

The women then thought those scars were sexy too.

sreiter,is that the blade sticking in his forehead - damnNah, I think Danger Dave is correct--it must be a clamp of some sort... Dark Knight,I saw an article on this a couple years ago. They actually stand on a small box, this is to ensure you stay where you are suppose to.I believe that they only make you stand on a box if the two duellists are not of the same height--the box is to even things up. I've also read that, in some fraternities, they put martini glasses behind your feet--if you back up, you knock the glasses over, and they kick you out of the duelling corps. 4 Ranges,that's a screwed up pic!!Yeah, that's why I posted it--I couldn't pass it up. :-) My wife's grandfather participated in these when he was a young lad in Germany. Took two on either cheek, and one on top of the head. The worst cut was behind your head, as it meant you ran for your life. The best cut was above the head (or so he said) as it meant that you didn't budge or flinch even if the blade was coming at you.Dude, that's fascinating! The women then thought those scars were sexy too.That's what I've heard, yes. For all you FMAers out there, you should check out the 1st volume of the Deadly Duels video series--it shows schlager fencers training, and their bladework is really fast and really smooth--6 cuts every 2 seconds, I think.Here's a collection of various types of schlager--the thin ones are the modern type (though it should be stressed that these blades are still far heavier and stiffer than any modern epee or saber blades)--whereas the broad-bladed weapons look more like old broadswords or backswords, swords which were used in a similar fashion, but could cause more damage. TFS

interesting - about the glasses -

the filipinos so something along the same lines you have to stand on coconut halves -
although if memory serves i think they use 3 in a triangle - but you cant let your feet tough the ground - dont remember if 2 were used or not

I guess that guy should have tapped sooner.

TFS-

Is that pic of the swords from your basement?