Synthetic oil changes

who here used synthetic?  Is it worth it? I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with 33k miles that I try and take care of, I have no problem paying more for synthetic oil if it will really help the life of the vehicle 

I run full synthetic in my ecoboost Explorer sport. I change anywhere between 6 and 10k. Mobil one. There is no other choice.

In some cases it is actually cheaper. Regular oil change is about 30 bucks and is suppose to be done every 3000 miles, synthetic costs me about 60 bucks and should be done every 10k miles. 

Oil is the life of your engine. No reason to not use synthetic unless you want your engine to not last as long. 

Depends on your vehicle. All brand oil is pretty high quality now, but if you're running a high performance engine you def. need to be running a full synthetic. I won't run it more than 4k miles in mine, even though its supposed to be good for twice that. A do-it-yourself oil change still costs me $100.

Synthetic all the way. I change it and the filter every 5k or twice a year, whichever happens first.

Mobil one every 10,000 miles and you are good to go.

I only use syntehtic because my car requires it.  I wouldn't use it otherwise.  Just follow the owners manual service interval religiously and you are good.

Don't forget to upgrade the oil filter.

Full Synthetic here. every 10k

My car requires it.

I've been paying $79 for a full synthetic oil change for years. Just this weekend I found a place that does full synthetic for $49. All that $ wasted :(

On the flip side.... I have a clean 2000 jeep tj Sahara in great condition, it's had only conventional oil changes . I'm told it could cause leaks at the main seal if I switch
.129k miles

Tommy Gunnz -

who here used synthetic?  Is it worth it? I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with 33k miles that I try and take care of, I have no problem paying more for synthetic oil if it will really help the life of the vehicle 

Pretty much what I read was Moble 1 every 10k and you motor will not die from wear. Some dude drove his Tacoma 400k with this oil change interval and that was with offroading. I do the same.

I have a 2015 ram hemi and I feed her nothing but synthetic royal purple at every 6500 mi 

I use amsoil in my truck and my sled and I have not had any motor problems ( knock on wood).

Banchan - 

I dont think it prolongs life of your car but rather the times between oil change.  Especially good if you do lots of freeway travel and your oil is not getting that dirty to begin with.  As someone said above you can save money and time using synthetic.  

Also what i learned is not to bother with for synthetic oil filters.  I was told they are exactly same as regular oil filters only like 1 or 2 dollars more expensive but a filter is a filter there is nothing different required of your filter for synthetic oil.  

Then you had better stick to 3000 miles.

Not all filters are created equal.

I have a 97 gmc 4x4, bought with 30,000 miles, always use mobil 1 it now has 415000 and runs great...

Banchan -

I dont think it prolongs life of your car but rather the times between oil change.  Especially good if you do lots of freeway travel and your oil is not getting that dirty to begin with.  As someone said above you can save money and time using synthetic.  

Also what i learned is not to bother with for synthetic oil filters.  I was told they are exactly same as regular oil filters only like 1 or 2 dollars more expensive but a filter is a filter there is nothing different required of your filter for synthetic oil.  

Lol. A filter is not just a filter , they are not created equal . Buying a quality filter is very important

I use full sythetic and change between 10-16 k.  My wife's mechanic, who used to be my mechanic first and whom I really liked tells me there is no reason to use synthetic and he uses regular oil in his bimmer.  I am a member of the society of tribologists of lubrication engineers and and I prefer sythetic, so who knows. I figure it is a wash anyways if I go 16k between changes instead of 3-5k with standard oil.

Pennzoil Ultra platinum