Taking a landlord to court.

Is this like trying to fight a traffic ticket where you almost always lose?

My wife and I and our 2 kids moved into an old house 2 months ago.  Its been one thing after another every couple of days.  The worst thing being an infestation of     fleas.  They paid for an exterminator, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  2 year-old daughter is getting bit every night.  Another problem along those lines is a rodent problem that could easily turn into a mess because the landlord hasn't properly sealed the house.  Smaller problem would be a hole in the side of the kitchen faucet that took the guy 5 days to come fix.  There have been about 15 other things besides those. I guess that's what you get for 3k a month in the bay area.

Shit has already come to a head and am just wondering what the best route to take is.  I don't really want to part ways without being compensated because this has been complete bullshit.

Move?

in liberal CA i've been told tenants have a lot they can do against landlords. in a situation like this you may be within your rights to stay without paying rent. you should go over your lease agreement.

War op! I'm a father of young kids myslef and I can only imagine how pissed you are about the fleas biting your daughter let alone the other nonsense. Is there an attorney you can look up to help you out? I don't know..I've had a few tonight. 

missed the part where you said bay area, you should definitely look into it especially with a 2 year old. i'm not a lawyer but i'd say your chances are way better with this compared to a traffic ticket.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/repairs-maintenance

?????

With my experience, landlords don't want to have anything on their tnent record and are willing to come to agreement before it gets to court.

If you're in a lease, give the landlord a list of repairs and cite the law that applies to your locale that covers rental standards that force him to make those repairs. Then, offer him the option of letting you out of your lease. That's business. 

I know people will say, "just move!"... thats easier to type than do. The landlord i'm sure has you under a written lease, right? So moving might get you in trouble. You're in a tough spot op, its going to cost money to fight and sue him but either way we're rooting for ya. 

If you didnt sign an actual lease, you have good options. 

You know that sweet deal you thought you found?

$3k for a rodent and flea infested house? Surely there has to be better options even in that area let alone outside of it. My mortgage is half that. Just don't understand what is worth paying that much for rent not even a mortgage that's insane. No area to be lived is worth paying that type of money. $36k in rent a year is absolutely ridiculous.

baj54 - $3k for a rodent and flea infested house? Surely there has to be better options even in that area let alone outside of it. My mortgage is half that. Just don't understand what is worth paying that much for rent not even a mortgage that's insane. No area to be lived is worth paying that type of money. $36k in rent a year is absolutely ridiculous.

I pay 440 a month and don't have any fleas or rodents... another reason that cali blows ass ... but but we live by the beach....

Ummm.... Get your own house and stop crying.

Op I assume the place is carpeted ? Doesn't matter either way . Get several cans of iodized salt sprinkle on the floors (liberally ) let sit for several hours and then vacuum up . This will help get rid of the fleas.

I don't remember the exact explanation of why/how it works . We had a rental that the tenants had fleas (cats) the exterminator sprayed several times and no dice . Had another exterminator tell me to do the salt trick and it cleared it right up , then he sprayed again and never a issue again . It was crazy bad when I was in there to repaint /clean /make ready . Like having my ankles and socks coated in fleas . So trust me this shit works . Good luck .

what state are you in?

Your 1st step is to call the Board of Health. If this were Massachusetts, they'd come out and do an inspection. If any violations were found, they'd write a report, give you a copy and send one to your landlord. They'd then tell you that you don't need to pay rent until the violations were corrected.

My 1st college apartment in Boston was a shithole so my roommates and I did this. The landlord took us to court and when we showed up with that report from the BOH, we won. Landlord didn't make any repairs, he figured it was cheaper to let us live there for the rest of the year and then we'd be gone. that's what happened. 1 year lease, we paid a total of 3 months rent. we were college kids though so who really gave a shit? If I had a family and kids, I would have also sued him for not making the repairs or I'd leave obviously.

ltr

Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord. Watchdog barking, do he bite? Kill my landlord.

myKingdom - 
baj54 - $3k for a rodent and flea infested house? Surely there has to be better options even in that area let alone outside of it. My mortgage is half that. Just don't understand what is worth paying that much for rent not even a mortgage that's insane. No area to be lived is worth paying that type of money. $36k in rent a year is absolutely ridiculous.

I pay 440 a month and don't have any fleas or rodents... another reason that cali blows ass ... but but we live by the beach....

Lol

If you have pets of your own good luck blaming the fleas on the landlord.

Yeah op should complain about the building, not pay rent, live for free, and make the landlord fix the building.

or you can be a decent human being and move your family to another place.

my wife runs into so many people like you. Complaining about the building and staying in place and then not paying rent. Then refusing to move out. Just leave if you don't like the building.