Taking an online psychological test for job, TME

What started as a massive group of people for a very sought after job (firefighter), I am now in the final 20, they plan on interviewing 10. I have to do a 3-4 hour online "psychological test" while on camera and land in the top 10 to get an interview. This is my dream department and I cannot put into words how important this is to me. In an area where this field is EXTREMELY competitve regardless of department, this is one of the most competitive departments. I have never done anything like this and do not know what to expect, any advice would be extremely appreciated. There is a personality section and a critical thinking section, I don't know anything outside of that other than people seem to fail these things a lot.

Change my life OG <3

Do u even know what they are looking for? If it is 3-4 hours then it will uncover your traits for sure. Just be truthful I guess and don't try and game the system trying to figure out what they want. 

If u are the right person then u will get the job I guess

MMPI?

Dougie -

MMPI?

TAD

Pay someone who's not retarded.  

MarsMan -

The personality tests I did a decade ago were a series (like 120) questions where you chose from "This describes me perfectly" to "Most of the times this applies to me" and then on to something like- "This does not describe me at all".

They tested several "dimensions", like Affiliation, Aggressiveness, Order, Loyalty, Perseverance (off of the top of my head) and had some control questions to see how much you lied...those were pretty obvious like "I once stole something when I was a little kid".

If you have time to google some tests use the above info to get started... I`m not going to tell you to answer questions based on what they'd like to hear, because sometimes that can be misleading... I remeber Aggressiveness, for instance, had to be something like  < 20 percentile (for a LEO job)

Hmm that is interesting. This sounds along the lines of what I'll be seeing

I posted a thread about the jordan peterson personality test at understandmyself. Com

The test is part of the big 5 personality aspects and it was pretty spot. On for me. 

Drink 5 beers first, to loosen up

OGT -

What started as a massive group of people for a very sought after job (firefighter), I am now in the final 20, they plan on interviewing 10. I have to do a 3-4 hour online "psychological test" while on camera and land in the top 10 to get an interview. This is my dream department and I cannot put into words how important this is to me. In an area where this field is EXTREMELY competitve regardless of department, this is one of the most competitive departments. I have never done anything like this and do not know what to expect, any advice would be extremely appreciated. There is a personality section and a critical thinking section, I don't know anything outside of that other than people seem to fail these things a lot.

Change my life OG <3

Be as relaxed and confident as possible. Your answers themselves aren’t as significant as your demeanor (unless you give bad answers). I mean yes, your answers are important, but it usually comes down to the decision of the higher-ups in the department, so you want to be as calm, cool and confident on camera as possible. I know, that’s probably not as helpful advice as you’d like, lol, but it’s important. What city are you applying in OP? I was 190 on a list of almost 4,000 back in the early 2000’s (I live in a decent sized Midwest city). Never got the call and, years later, got contacted by a law firm as part of a class-action lawsuit against the city. Turns out they were skipping lots of people on the list for hire and instead going full-on nepotism and hiring almost completely immediate family of those already with the department. I ended up getting a decent little payday out of the whole thing. Enough to buy a sweet ass new truck anyway (I was early 20’s at the time, lol). The cool thing was I had long forgotten about applying with the FD and had moved on with my professional life, so that money I got from the class action was a nice little surprise.

Good luck man and I hope you kill it in the interview and get on with the department!

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it! Going to eat and fire it up here in the next hour, will report back with results

Pablo Duke -

One of the biggest factors that employers are looking for in those tests are people high in conscientiousness...

Yeah, my results showed I was high in conscientiousness, which is true as it is a big predictor of work ethic

Well that was pretty brutal. Personality was somewhat straightforward. Critical thinking was bs. How heavily you interpreted one word in a paragraph would determine the outcome of your answer. Seemed very subjective. Wish I could explain my answers. I hate that my dream job could be denied over something like that. Going to be pretty upset if I don't get an interview. Thanks again for the insight og

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you brother!

ABCTT Dos -

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you brother!

<3

It's not a lie if you believe it.