taking fights on short notice; brave or stupid?

With Wes Sims saying he only had a week to get ready for this fight, I wonder about this.

It's brave for sure, look at Bang's last fight. Showed tons of heart/balls even to make weight. And he got paid, which is the bottom line.

But he looked terrible in that fight as he spent the week leading up to the fight focusing on weigh cutting. Plus I'm not sure getting pounded in the best thing for your career.

And this has happened over & over again with the guy coming in on short notice getting smoked. Smith/Tank, Sims/Kyle etc ...

What say you?

Sims is lookin for a pay day.

Does he believe he will win the fight... no.

The Realist - It's not brave it's just about money he knew he would lose anyways regardless of short notice.
but is it smart?

Not smart, but he is a pro fighter and has bills to pay

Since he would lose with long notice or short notice it's very smart because now he has an excuse for those who will "buy it"

it depends on how good his manager is...

its smart if the manager secures a long term, lucrative dealing considering the fact that its short notice, wes has a name, makes exciting fights and is non threatening

its stupid if its just a one off deal

goku -  it depends on how good his manager is...

its smart if the manager secures a long term, lucrative dealing considering the fact that its short notice, wes has a name, makes exciting fights and is non threatening

its stupid if its just a one off deal
interesting ....

I think it's a no lose situation for Wes.  One if he wins it's awesome for him.  If he loses Wes still gets his name out there for fighting Lashley on TV.  Better than sitting at home doing nothing.   

when you step up on short notice you usually get higher pay and its good to have that kinda repor with the match makers. Is Wes ever gonna be champ? No   It is definately a good move on his part win/lose/ or draw his stock goes up

The Realist - It's not brave it's just about money he knew he would lose anyways regardless of short notice.

Gotta agree.

AmericanPsychoMMA -  I think it's a no lose situation for Wes.  One if he wins it's awesome for him.  If he loses Wes still gets his name out there for fighting Lashley on TV.  Better than sitting at home doing nothing.   
Getting mangled & embarrassed on national tv is better than 'not getting your name out there'?

If you say so bud ...

tripped_on_a_left_hook - Not smart, but he is a pro fighter and has bills to pay

Stupid, and I've fallen for it quite a few times.

ttt

hopefully Wes is getting some big sponsor $ too, main card fight on showtime

LoganClark - Stupid, and I've fallen for it quite a few times.
please go on ..

Jack Skellington - 
AmericanPsychoMMA -  I think it's a no lose situation for Wes.  One if he wins it's awesome for him.  If he loses Wes still gets his name out there for fighting Lashley on TV.  Better than sitting at home doing nothing.   
Getting mangled & embarrassed on national tv is better than 'not getting your name out there'?

If you say so bud ...

Well think of it this way if Wes won like Seth beat Kimbo it would have done wonders for him.  Point is I don't know if Wes will fight again on TV for UFC or SF even before the Lashley fight took place.  

its good for Sims

why not?

what did he have to lose?

plus he got paid - thats always nice

It works if you're already training and are already ready to go.  Coming off the couch in a weeks time to fight someone, I tried that, and it didn't work out so good for me. 

AmericanPsychoMMA - 
Jack Skellington - 

If you say so bud ...

Well think of it this way if Wes won like Seth beat Kimbo it would have done wonders for him.  Point is I don't know if Wes will fight again on TV for UFC or SF even before the Lashley fight took place.  
But has Seth's career really 'taken off' since beating Kimbo?

Not really.