Tankless water heater?

3BR town home needs new 50 gallon gas water heater. Looking at tankless 9 gpm for about $500 more. Any real savings? Does water take time to heat up?

Current 50G is 23 yrs old and works fine but home inspector said they recommend change every 10-15 yrs. Phone Post 3.0

Usually tankless is a lot more and sometimes there can be issues with wiring. But if it's really only $500 more, I think it's probably well worth it. I've not had one, but I haven't heard of their being any problems with them. It's supposed to heat instantly.

Instantly is a bit of a misnomer. But it's not like you get instant hot water anyway unless it's already been running. I personally would do it as long as it's gas. Some people swear by it, some hate it but I think it's generally regarded as a good system.

I would also wait until the one that's there dies. Your inspector tells you 10-15 years because he can't in good conscience not warn you of a 23 year old heater. But as long as the thing heats, ride it out. Phone Post 3.0

You have an option for faster hot water using a re-circulation setup. Basically, you can have it re-circulate a minute or two before you are ready to shower. It pumps water through the heater back into the cold side near the tap, so when you turn on the hot it is already close to the tap. Some have timers, some have remotes. Otherwise, it takes the same time that a tank heater would to get hot water to your tap.

If it's a new house do it for sure. If it's an older one the existing plumbing can cause problems such as the water coming out cold. We're putting one in our new house, was about $800 extra Phone Post 3.0

N0rman - Tankless killed the water pressure in my parents' house. I won't shit there because none of the toilets flush with any force at all. So if you go tankless, make sure you ask about proper water pressure, even in the cold water spigots like the toilets.
As a plumber what you said make no sense.

A toilet has a cistern attached that hold water that gets released when you flush it. Cisterns do not fill up that fast as they have flow restricters in them (newer units)

If the toilet does not flush well then there may be a build up of crap in the pan itself where the water comes out ( can happen with old toilets)

Instantaneous hot water unit are great and are much more efficient than storage water heaters Phone Post 3.0

Fair enough, how old are the toilets? May be an issue with internals not opening fully or cistern not filling fully.

Or maybe you just take massive shits that don't flush easy Phone Post 3.0

In for pictures of massive turds Phone Post 3.0

Had one in my previous house. LOVED IT. Hot water wasn't instant but once it got warmed up, you never ran out of it. It continuously heated the water as it came out. Phone Post 3.0

DC Phone Post 3.0

Why get a new one of your current one works?
Run that bitch into the ground Phone Post 3.0

I had a on demand hot water with my old setup which was a all in one oil water heater and steam. That shit took forever to heat up and would not be consistent.

We switched to gas just last week for heating and the plumber suggested a tank over tankless.

In loving the tank, always have hot water and I don't need to wait 5 min before it gets hot. Phone Post 3.0

N0rman -
Hauntedmemory - 
N0rman - Tankless killed the water pressure in my parents' house. I won't shit there because none of the toilets flush with any force at all. So if you go tankless, make sure you ask about proper water pressure, even in the cold water spigots like the toilets.

A toilet has a cistern attached that hold water that gets released when you flush it. Cisterns do not fill up that fast as they have flow restricters in them (newer units)

If the toilet does not flush well then there may be a build up of crap in the pan itself where the water comes out ( can happen with old toilets)

Instantaneous hot water unit are great and are much more efficient than storage water heaters Phone Post 3.0

Made no sense to me either. But there it is.
Are the valves open all the way? After they replaced the heater, they may have left some of the valves partially closed.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Best investment I've made Phone Post 3.0

Later. Phone Post 3.0

Plumber in the uk signing in I'd defo go for instantaneous water heater over tank aslong as you've got good water pressure to the property many plumbers on here? Curious Phone Post 3.0

Go with the tankless. JUST DO IT!

N0rman - 
Hauntedmemory - 

Made no sense to me either. But there it is.

Did they install a low-flow toilet at the same time? A toilet will not flush with any more or less power regardless of water pressure. You can turn all the water off to a house and drain all the plumbing lines and the toilet will still flush the same (but obviously only once).

Then its settled, run the current water heater into the ground then get tank-less. The current one looks fantastic. I honestly didn't believe the guy when he said it was 23 yrs old.

Thanks for the replies.

Water hygiene technician signing in

Part of my job is basically inspecting tanks,fitting them and cleaning them.

I would go tankless, in the future everything will be pressurised eventually, just make sure your property can handle a pressurised system Phone Post 3.0