Tao of B = best training book I've read in a while

Anyone else read this? Some of the more innovative training ideas I've seen in awhile. Particularly with regards to hypertrophy in the context of powerlifting.

For those of you interested:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2600

I haven't read it, but heard it has some good ideas like triceps death, beekers, etc.....

I'll Pass...

TAKU

Taku -  I'll Pass...

TAKU

Care to say why?

I haven't read it btw. But now wondering if it is worth reading.

Hey Jeremy,

For many this book may seem like a great resource. I have not read it either. I am basing my comments on other material produced by the Elite FTS crew. For me there is nothing special or new of magic about what they do or how they do it. So I am really just taking an educated guess that I would not find anything that would really stirr things up in how I go about training myself or others.

TAKU

One of Dave Tate's books has a section on how his teachers thought he was 'learning disabled' or dyslexic, and it has has a few spelling errors. I got a good laugh at that. Can't vouch for any of the other Elite FTS stuff.

Taku -  Hey Jeremy,

For many this book may seem like a great resource. I have not read it either. I am basing my comments on other material produced by the Elite FTS crew. For me there is nothing special or new of magic about what they do or how they do it. So I am really just taking an educated guess that I would not find anything that would really stirr things up in how I go about training myself or others.

TAKU

I don't think this book is even written by an EliteFts crew member. They also do sell a lot of books and manuels by a lot of different people including guys like Issurin and Verkhoshansky.

There has to be a book that Elite sells that you would recommend no?

Hey Jeremy,

Honestly not sure. Have never explored thier offerings. Did not know that they sold other peoples stuff.

I'll take a closer look.

TAKU

Oh yeah I amost forgot...LOL@ arnanderson...swing and a miss!!

Okay,

Went to ELITEFTS web-site and looked through the books they sell. There is a lot of books in there. 

I did see several books that I have owned over the years. Only saw one that I would highly recommend and that is the interval training manual by Tom Kelso. That (along with all of Tom's other books) is one worth having.

TAKU

EFS doesn't really re-invent the wheel, but then again they don't really say they are.

Perhaps the most "original" book they could write would be "Dave Tate's 10,001 Ways to Say FUCK in Daily Life."

That being said, I like the site for the same reason I re-read my books by Bompa or others. It reminds me of things that I will sometimes forget, and serves as a reminder to focus on the important shit in the workout, and not get overstressed about my intercostal contraction levels while doing TRX suspended wheeled roll-outs. With kips.

C.S.,

funny you should mention Bompa. I find he is one of the worst for over complicating things. I read his first book years ago. Talk about dry. I choked it down and periodized all of my workouts using his formulas and basing everything of 1RM % etc...IMHO total waste of time.

I have made far greater progress on programs that are far less complicated and with far less time spent crunching numbers and testing and re-testing RMs etc.

TAKU

^^^^ I agree with this. The only thing I got from Bompa was great naps.

Taku - 

C.S.,

funny you should mention Bompa. I find he is one of the worst for over complicating things. I read his first book years ago. Talk about dry. I choked it down and periodized all of my workouts using his formulas and basing everything of 1RM % etc...IMHO total waste of time.

I have made far greater progress on programs that are far less complicated and with far less time spent crunching numbers and testing and re-testing RMs etc.

TAKU

Oh, I agree that Bompa overcomplicates shit, I think partially intentionally (hey, look guys, I'm an expert! Just try to understand all the shit I'm writing!), partially because coming from a Soviet based sports system, they went to the trouble of doing all that.

I guess what I meant with him as an example is that he was really the first to turn me on to the idea of cycles and periodization. Not overcomplicated let's do a shit-ton of math before even starting my workout periodization, but the idea of ramping up, ramping down, etc.

Before him, I was a gym warrior. Hell, my off-season high school football workouts looked exactly the same in lifts, etc whether they were in December, March, or June. Same reps, same sets, same exercises. Now, I use different sets, reps, and even exercises depending on my cycle's goals, or even how I'm feeling that day. Has made a hell of a difference, I can say that.