Taught my first children's class

Last night was the first night of my children's program.  I've had my own academy for 4 years now, but always shied away from teaching kids- as my own three kids give me more than I can already handle on most days.

However, I finally took the plunge, and it was a really fun experience.  Not going to lie- I took a lot from the Gracie Bullyproof series, as I think those crazy Gracie brothers teach some awesome stuff, and I love their games and curriculum for the kids.  The series is also really useful as it is fun and engaging for all ages, and does not require a gi (I'm letting all of my child students train for the remainder of July for free- so many don't have gi's yet).

We had 15 children and 2 adults participate, which was awesome, as it's hard to be so excited about teaching and only having 1-2 people show up (I've been there plenty of days when I first started the school).  

The only bummer was that I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the kids class.  However, late last night, one of the parents (who is a student of mine as well), sent me some pics he took.

I will always be grateful that he did- as he was able to document not only my first children's class, but the first time I taught my own children (in a class setting).

Here's the awesome pic- I'm teaching my oldest son, Dominic, how to maintain the mount position.  (In case you were wondering - we have a very multi-cultural family- I'm Chinese, my ex wife is White (Irish/Italian), we adopted Dominic at 4 days old, who is part Black/ part White, and we have two biological twins (who are also in the picture).

I already ordered dodgeballs for the next class- I think the kids were more excited about the possibility of ending class with dodgeball than learning the single leg X guard.

Awesome! Phone Post 3.0

SidRon - Take those frames off the wall before you play dodgeball. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks- I'm usually in a daze when I'm done teaching class and I totally would have forgot!

if you can teach kids,you can teach anyone.

Total random question - and feel free to ignore it or else PM me the answer - do you have an older brother named Ray?

Yes! I love him- I wouldnt ignore your question!

When I teach kids, I do short warm up, 45 minutes of drilling and 30 minutes of rolling. 

When I teacha dults, I do 45 minutes drilling and 45 minutes rolling. 

Kids get a warm up to practice technical stand up, shrimping etc. 

Good for you!

I hate teaching the kids.

I did too, in for tips teaching kids classes Phone Post 3.0

Once those dodgeballs come out, those kids are going to have a blast!   You should take a road trip up to Richmond to watch some of our classes (and steal ideas).  The instructors are good at keeping the kids engaged.

I love teaching kids. For me it's much more fun than teaching the adults. Phone Post 3.0

From our second children's class (tonight). We had a lot less people, but it was still pretty fun:

That feeling you get when you try to impress your youngest students, and get tapped out instead.

(My youngest son is the one clapping enthusiastically as I get double legged- that traitor!)

goatfury - 

Once those dodgeballs come out, those kids are going to have a blast!   You should take a road trip up to Richmond to watch some of our classes (and steal ideas).  The instructors are good at keeping the kids engaged.

Thanks for the offer! I might have to take you up on it someday! (I'm just really lazy about driving or I would have visited a long time ago)

goatfury - 

Adults like dodgeball too! We've had way more injuries in dodgeball than we ever did training BJJ.

kying418 - Yes! I love him- I wouldnt ignore your question!

Oh, no biggie - he and I were roommates at Harvard a looooonnnnnggg time ago.

I don't recall him having any interest in martial arts stuff.... and yet, when we connected on Facebook a ways back, I noticed he posted a number of BJJ-related things, esp. pics from a Marcelo Garcia-based school in Florida (and he was from Buffalo or s/w in New York, so that was odd).

I just put two and two together that his posts were about you ;-)

And back on topic - yeah, I love the Bullyproof stuff too, I teach it to my kids and have bought 3 extra sets for various friends and family for them to use with their kids...

kying418 - 
goatfury - 

Thanks for the offer! I might have to take you up on it someday! (I'm just really lazy about driving or I would have visited a long time ago)

Running a gym has that potential to make you marginally less lazy.

Theoretically, I mean.

kying418 -

I already ordered dodgeballs for the next class- I think the kids were more excited about the possibility of ending class with dodgeball than learning the single leg X guard.

Where you get these?

Kids throw the ball at the head so I'm worried Phone Post 3.0

whats a good age to get kids started in BJJ?

endochokedme - whats a good age to get kids started in BJJ?

Whenever they are ready. I have taught attentive 7 year olds and unfocused 14 year olds, so each kid is different. I did some spot teaching of a 4 & 5 year olds class....Didn't think I would make it to day 2 the way day 1 went,  but luck and attention-getting strategies were on my side. Fun times!