Taurus 627 v. Ruger GP-100

I recently received my pistol permit/carry license for CT. (Yippee!) My wife gave me a nice Single Six for my birthday, but of course I'd like something with a little more bang. I really like .357 revolvers for the ability to use cheaper practice ammo, their reliability, ever-readiness, accuracy, and power. This will be the gun I grab when I hear a window break at night. I don't intend to carry it out of the house except to the range.

Now, I'm torn. Both run about $400 in the 6" versions. The Taurus is a 7 shot and is already ported, which sounds awesome for the range. The Ruger I hear nothing but praises for the reliability and durability, and I confess I love the styling of the gun.

My local range does not have both on hand to rent for tryout, which sucks.

Does anyone have strong opinions about these two pistols?

ps: Please don't tell me to get a 1911. That will come later, and will probably be a Taurus 'cause that's what I can afford.

I own a GP100 and my buddy has a 4" ported Taurus. You really can't go wrong with either.

The Ruger had better finish, but that's not a big issue. Both were about the same accuracy wise, but it was easier to stage the Rugers trigger for long shots which made free ahdn shooting a little bit easier with the ruger. The Taurus' 7 shots were nice, but the porting not so much. We were both getting hit in the face with debris when shooting his Taurus using 357 ammo. Didn't happen with the 38spl ammo. Not sure how much you'd get with the 6" barrel though. Side note: I carry a taurus 85 titanium 38spl. The porting makes a LOT more noise. I don't think I'd want to shoot my 38 spl ported inside, much less a 357 inside. When I've shot my ported 38 outside, without hearing protection, my ears were ringing for quite a while. I wouldn't want to try that with a a 357.

Be careful with practicing with 38spl then carrying 357, they don't sound or recoil the same. If you get used to 38, then your timing won't be really on for the 357 until you practice with it a bit. I've heard old stories from my local LEO trainer about LEO's having problems when they had to shoot their 357's (not gun problems, but problems hitting, etc, due to not being used to the extra recoil, timng being off, and wondering if their guns had just blown up while they were dodging bullets themselves).

Also, one other question, if you're not looking to carry the gun and are looking for a go to gun when something goes bump in the night, why not look at a shotgun? More ammo, more damage done to targets, easier to aim, less felt recoil (with proper training), faster follow up shots etc.

Excellent feedback, especially about the porting. I'd never heard that (noise/debris) before. Thanks.

why not look at a shotgun?

I've got a Remington 870 now. The loading sound is terrifying, but my halls and stairways are very narrow and it's got a 26" barrel. It also gets stored in the basement, while I can fit a small pistol safe in a more convenient spot.

Don't know if this was covered regarding the porting but if you ever have to make the "oh shit shot"(which is basically a snap shot from the hip also sometimes referred to as a speed rock); you will get blast coming back up at you. Won't be very pretty.

I'm not big on the long barrel personally. If you are rounding a corner, most likely the barrel will be first thing that rounds the corner. A big ass barrel makes a nice target to grab as it's coming around the corner.........but I guess the porting might help that :)

Another thing with the long barrel is that in tight spaces, it may be difficult to work with. If you are tangling with someone in a close quarters incident, that long barrel won't be good or if you have to turn around quickly you'll have to make sure you clear the hall walls or whatever may be there. Basically, if you are shooting at close range, the long barrel won't offer any more advantage.

Another small thing would be to watch the nickel or stainless finish. It could reflect light and if someone is in my house, I'd sure like to have the drop on them. Something as small as a light from outside could cause a small reflection which may give your position away before you see the guy.

As far as the guns themselves, both are good.

I own a couple Dan Wesson revolvers, (also two 1911's, Glock, and a few others)Once you buy a 357 and start shooting 38's, as we all do, you have to clean the cylinder due to the buildup from the 38's. Because they are shorter you get a build up of lead hat will eventually make it so that the 357's dont drop out easily when reloading.

I found this out the hard way, I would push the plunger and still have to pull a few rounds out with my fingers. Kleenbore took care of the problem, there are a couple other products that will clean lead out.

As far as what to buy, both are good guns, I am thinking of a Taurus with a 4 inch barrel because they come ported. The 4 inch barrel is a good length, perfect for self defense, or if you are out backpacking or just waliking in the neiborhood with the wife.

There is a division in IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) for revolvers and you can compete in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRd4i8Jg31Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBbQwB4sNWw&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RozIhlb3aU&mode=related&search=

Some fast revolver shooting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3fgduPdH_Y&mode=related&search=

And a nice camera view of IPSC just to see a fast shooting with a semiauto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gVxGZ4Cbw&mode=related&search=

That last vid. Jeebus!

I love that stuff.

Dark knight - thanks for that fast revolver video - I NEVER get tired of that!

What about the Taurus "Judge" it's a 5 shot revolver that shoots .45 colt long bullets and 410 shotgun shells. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Guess what the wheelgun fairy brought me last night?

Ruger GP100 6", SS, factory Hogue grips

I didn't know that it'd come with a Hogue grip, but it's branded with the Ruger emblem. It feels GREAT.

I am hoping to get some range time tonight.

When I ordered it, my wife asked me:
"What's with you and the guns lately?"

(Me) "Ummm..."

"Wait, is it like me and jewelry? You have to have one of each for every occassion? Because I can totally related to that. I hope you enjoy your sparkly."

God, I love that woman.

Even though 357 is fun to shoot, if this is your house gun you may want to stick with 38spl. Even w/o porting your 357 is going to be really loud.

If you've just woken up and have to fire full power 357 indoors without hearing protection the disorientation from the blast may impair your ability to defend yourself.

357 is still a pistol cartridge, it's more effective than 38spl but the improvement is incremental.

Most of the bluster about 357 being some ultimate 'manstopper' is straight out of the Marshall & Sandow fantasy camp.