Teach me about football defense

Was thoroughly routed at Madden yesterday. I could not stop the pass. Tried zones, blitzing, man, man and zone blitz. Nothing worked. I want to be a defensive god. Teach me how football defenses work inside and out. Phone Post 3.0

man to man and zone are both overrated, I prefer a box and one

groundfighter2000 - man to man and zone are both overrated, I prefer a box and one
So if not man to man and no zone, please enlighten .

Google what cover 1, 2 , 3, 4 means

Also, man to man and zone.

What you just said makes 0 sense Phone Post 3.0

The Flying V is pretty good too

it's all about outfield positioning

VladimirPoopin -
groundfighter2000 - man to man and zone are both overrated, I prefer a box and one

Triangle and 2 guarantees Madden Dominance! Phone Post 3.0

Tudley - 
VladimirPoopin -

Triangle and 2 guarantees Madden Dominance! Phone Post 3.0

this guy gets it

You need to first tell us your team you usually use and your defensive play style.... As in what position do you prefer to start on... Phone Post 3.0

Prevent

-Jerry Glanville- Phone Post 3.0

best way to stop a passing game is with a great pass rush. bring the fucking house. but when you do that make sure you cover the short routes that he will try to dump it off too

MyTJsuX - You need to first tell us your team you usually use and your defensive play style.... As in what position do you prefer to start on... Phone Post 3.0
Broncos. I let Ai run the d, sometimes I'll be a lineman and rush.

This thread is more about basic concepts though. Phone Post 3.0

I would stay in nickel as a base and use dime or quarter on 3rd down and obvious passing downs.

BigPuma -

I would stay in nickel as a base and use dime or quarter on 3rd down and obvious passing downs.

But, can why. Also, explain nickel vs dime, etc. Phone Post 3.0

Nickel = Five defensive backs

Dime  = Six defensive backs

Quarter =Seven defensive backs

You can also guess pass before the play and it improves your pass defense, but will leave you susceptible to runs.

To stop the run you have to have good d linemen that get push upfield and linebackers who can tackle and have good awareness and quickness.

To stop the pass you have to have ends who keep contain, linebackers who can cover tight ends, and a good scheme. I play either nickel or dime against the pass. If its 4 wide receivers I play dime but I blitz either one or both dime backs as they have the speed to get to the QB and disrupt the timing at the very least. Play bump and run press coverage on the outside with your safeties off the line about 7 to 8 yards deep, and make sure your safeties can hit hard on a short pass route inside, 4 to 7 yards they need to take heads off, and make sure your corners stay put on the outside and watch for the back out of the backfield. That takes some skill, you have to decide to go with your guy and leave the back to the middle linebacker or go with the back and have the saftey and linebacker take the recievers, the safety gets the outside guy and the backer the inside reciever.

You can stop the run out of dime by blitzing the 2 dime backs as well if they can tackle but your middle linebacker making tackles from that formation will mean 6 to 8 yard gains on the ground, so you have to switch to a run defense for the next short yardage down, depending on your strength, play your best guys over your best pick for formation. The formation is just to get they personnel you want in the game. The pre play is where you set up your actual positioning of your guys.

No other sport has a fan base who knows so little about the actual game. Phone Post 3.0

Go 3-4. Call your defensive line in tight and spread your linebackers out. Depending on how pass happy through offense is, you may even back the linebackers up if you're giving up too much over the middle. Its a pretty solid defense assuming your D line isn't total shit. Phone Post 3.0

Best defense is a great offense. Phone Post 3.0

BigPuma -

Nickel = Five defensive backs

Dime  = Six defensive backs

Quarter =Seven defensive backs

You can also guess pass before the play and it improves your pass defense, but will leave you susceptible to runs.

How do you guess pass before the play? Like how do you convey that to the game Phone Post 3.0

Dime or nickel defense for me. Phone Post 3.0