Teach me about the Rugby world.

I've been getting more and more interested in Rugby for the past couple years after a good friend of mine played collegiately. I'm picking up the rules of the game rather quickly but what I need a lot of help with is the "mythology" of the Rugby world.
What I mean by that is this: I grew up a football fan and still am (I am American btw) and its all the knowledge I gained along the way and handed down from my father that take my enjoyment to another level. Things that you wouldn’t get right away from watching NFL broadcasts, like who has been traditionally good, who the most prestigious franchises and players are, etc.
I'm not asking to learn an equivalent amount that I know about the NFL, I know that's impossible but if you could help me out with some things I should know then I'd be very appreciative.
For instance:
  • Who is the best team (this year & historically)?
  • Who is the GOAT and who is the current best player?
  • What nation has the best league?
  • What is the greatest Rugby match of all time?
  • What is the greatest team rivalry & what is the greatest nation rivalry?
  • Who is most notorious Rugby player?
Things of that nature would be great, thank you.

*** I posted this in the RugbyGround and then discovered that it is dead, a moment of silence for our lost brothers...***

The greatest team would have to be the New Zealand All Blacks, rugby's most successful team ever.

In over a hundred years of rugby, the All Blacks hold an 84% winning record against all opposition played. They have also won 74% of all test matches played, and hold a winning record against EVERY TEST NATION IN THE WORLD (including the British & Irish Lions, and the World XV).

Romania (the best team in Eastern Europe), Canada (the best team in North America), Japan (the best in Asia), and other World Rugby Heavyweights Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Argentina, Samoa, and Fiji have never beaten New Zealand.

The average margin when playing the All Blacks is 25-12- that is, they have scored more than twice the amount of points than all opposition combined.

Since 1996, when rugby became professional, the All Blacks have played 149 games, winning 121. Their victories have lead to 9 Tri-Nations Championships in 13 years, play-off appearances in every World Cup to date, a first ever test series victory in South Africa, 7 undefeated tours to Europe; including 2 Grand Slams Tours(when a team plays England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in succesive weeks and win), a test series whitewash against the British & Irish Lions, a World record 30 test victories in a row on home soil (spanning five years), the Bledisloe Cup, and the Hillary Shield.

Only five test nations IN HISTORY have ever beaten the All Blacks- Australia, South Africa, France, England, and Wales (who have not beaten New Zealand since 1954). The most successful team to ever play New Zealand is South Africa (winning just 40% of the time), while Australia have won the most times (39 victories from 132 matches).

This small, tiny nation boasts a player pool of just 90,000- yet they provide the bulk of the Rugby Hall of Fame.

Not even the great Brazilian Football Team can match the proud winning record of New Zealand. The same applies to Canada in Ice Hockey, Australia in Cricket, or any professional sports team from the United States.

clickclack - The greatest team would have to be the New Zealand All Blacks, rugby's most successful team ever.

In over a hundred years of rugby, the All Blacks hold an 84% winning record against all opposition played. They have also won 74% of all test matches played, and hold a winning record against EVERY TEST NATION IN THE WORLD (including the British & Irish Lions, and the World XV).

Romania (the best team in Eastern Europe), Canada (the best team in North America), Japan (the best in Asia), and other World Rugby Heavyweights Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Argentina, Samoa, and Fiji have never beaten New Zealand.

The average margin when playing the All Blacks is 25-12- that is, they have scored more than twice the amount of points than all opposition combined.

Since 1996, when rugby became professional, the All Blacks have played 149 games, winning 121. Their victories have lead to 9 Tri-Nations Championships in 13 years, play-off appearances in every World Cup to date, a first ever test series victory in South Africa, 7 undefeated tours to Europe; including 2 Grand Slams Tours(when a team plays England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in succesive weeks and win), a test series whitewash against the British & Irish Lions, a World record 30 test victories in a row on home soil (spanning five years), the Bledisloe Cup, and the Hillary Shield.

Only five test nations IN HISTORY have ever beaten the All Blacks- Australia, South Africa, France, England, and Wales (who have not beaten New Zealand since 1954). The most successful team to ever play New Zealand is South Africa (winning just 40% of the time), while Australia have won the most times (39 victories from 132 matches).

This small, tiny nation boasts a player pool of just 90,000- yet they provide the bulk of the Rugby Hall of Fame.

Not even the great Brazilian Football Team can match the proud winning record of New Zealand. The same applies to Canada in Ice Hockey, Australia in Cricket, or any professional sports team from the United States.

Wow your second post in almost 5 years, thank you. VTFU and I'll continue to do so for a while.

Thanks for the info.

Who is the best team (this year & historically)?

Big Five:

New Zealand
Australia
South Africa
France
England

Next tier:

Argentina
Ireland
Wales
Scotland
Italy
Samoa
Tonga
Fiji

Who is the GOAT and who is the current best player?

Current best player is probably Dan Carter.

There are too many players and positions for an alltime 'greatest'

What nation has the best league?

Super Rugby: New Zealand, Australia and South Africa

Also the Heineken Cup: England, France, Italy, Wales, ireland, Scotland

What is the greatest Rugby match of all time?

There's no consensus.

What is the greatest team rivalry & what is the greatest nation rivalry?

All Blacks vs. South Africa probably

Who is most notorious Rugby player?

Too many to list, but the most hated in recent memory was probably Richard Loe.

I don't know much about rugby; but the All Blacks Maori Haka is pretty awesome and intense Phone Post 3.0

Jonny wilkinson has got to be close to the greatest ever, before the 2003 World Cup in Australia the Aussies tried to have the rules about how many points drop goals were worth they where that scared about what he could do!

England ended up winning that World Cup with the last kick of the match...... A drop goal from wilkinson! Phone Post 3.0

showbizconnor - Jonny wilkinson has got to be close to the greatest ever, before the 2003 World Cup in Australia the Aussies tried to have the rules about how many points drop goals were worth they where that scared about what he could do!

England ended up winning that World Cup with the last kick of the match...... A drop goal from wilkinson! Phone Post 3.0

I'm no fan of the Kiwis, but Dan Carter is miles ahead of Wilkinson.

Cant forget about Jonah lomu. Phone Post

He's one of the greats, as is John Eales, Sean Fitzpatrick, Jason Leonard, Martin Johnson. Best march i ever saw was 1999 France v new Zealand rugby world cup. Phone Post

The lions, barbarians and the five nations and tri nations are something you might wanna look up. Phone Post

Lomu v England, Wilkinson v Australia,France v NZ 99 are moments you want to look up. I would suggest watching invictus too. Phone Post

Invisible Lats Syndrome -
showbizconnor - Jonny wilkinson has got to be close to the greatest ever, before the 2003 World Cup in Australia the Aussies tried to have the rules about how many points drop goals were worth they where that scared about what he could do!

Prime wilkinson??

Even old ass wilkinson just BOSSED the Heineken cup final and he's 10 years past his best and had a million injury's Phone Post 3.0

steve85uk - Cant forget about Jonah lomu. Phone Post
Lomu was a machine, when he destroyed Englad I had never seen anything like it Phone Post 3.0

showbizconnor - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome -

Prime wilkinson??

Even old ass wilkinson just BOSSED the Heineken cup final and he's 10 years past his best and had a million injury's Phone Post 3.0

Prime Wilkinson is a poor substitute for Dan Carter.

The best game ever would arguably be the All Blacks vs Australia in Sydney 2000

As a NZer, I hate to admit it but the BEST try ever scored was by Gareth Edwards playing for the British Barbarians (team made up of players from all around the world) against the All Blacks in 1973.
YouTube it! It is the best example of why people love the game...speed, power, skill, footwork, teamwork ... Just awesome!
Good luck mate Phone Post 3.0

Best league in Union is Super Rugby, which is a mix of teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, next best is probably the Top 14 in France, then after that its a toss up between the Premiership in England and the Pro12 which is Welsh, Irish, Scottish and Italian teams.

As for Rugby League, Australias NRL followed by Englands Super League.

Greatest try of all time:

My First XV played the curtain-raiser and we were sitting on the sideline at halfway.

As an Aussie, I've got to back up the claims that the All Blacks are the greatest of all time. Lets face it everybody else is constantly trying to copy their training and playing styles. Phone Post 3.0

Or did you want to know about league rather than union? If so see NRL or SL! Phone Post 3.0

Only 4 teams have won the rugby world cup: England, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand.

Only 1 team has won it twice: Australia.

Outside of that there's no consensus on any of the questions you asked. Some great players you may want to look up include Dan Carter, John Eales, Jonny Wilkinson, Jason Robinson, Gareth Edwards, Christian Cullen, Jonah Lomu, to name a few.