Teach me to shoot.!

Ok, Im 24 and have only shot a gun once: a random occurance with a guys 12 guage with target rounds and a couple pellet rifles.

Im not totally uneduvated (I think), I know not to point a muzzle at anythig and such but I dont know anything about guns more than your aveage 24 year old.,

I know the OG has some gun experts and I want know what you all woudl teach a noob? I plan on purchasing a Hendry .22 lever action this Christmas (NJ native and looking to support of local manufactorer)  for myself. I dont have a father or uncle to "teach" me the proper etiquette to clean or discharge a weapon, what woudl my OG brethern suggest for a person very new in the ways of firing weapons?

Thrust weapon aggressively in general direction of target.

Jerk trigger harshly - it's like an elastic band, the harder you pull it the quicker the bullet flies.

Turn away and close your eyes as you fire - there might be something that can get in your eyes. Safety first.

Repeat as many times as necessary.

YouTube Phone Post 3.0

This isnt a troll, I have never fired a weapon before (except that one time firing two shots from a shotgun), I'd like to think I'm not a moron though: I know not to pount it at a person unless I plan on killing them and such. I just wanted to know what seasoned gun experts would teach a person new to firing a weapon.

zetti - Holding the gun side ways improves your aim and makes you look cool.
This is the single most valuable information you will ever get on guns and shooting them. Phone Post 3.0

Find a range near you and see if they have anyone to give you in person advice/criticism.

I had some psycho dude who worked some deal in iraq teaching me how to shoot a pistol. Crazy as he was he could dhoot incredibly well and gave great advice.

Honestly, YouTube is a great resource. Just find a channel that you like and as long as it isn't too cooky/seems professional you'll be alright.

Lean the four safety rules until you can repeat them from memory.

Proper trigger control is the largest part of accuracy. Phone Post 3.0

DegenerateEra - Honestly, YouTube is a great resource. Just find a channel that you like and as long as it isn't too cooky/seems professional you'll be alright.

I know of the addage that "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" but I have no clue what the 4 rules are?

^ I thought it was "fast is smooth and smooth is fast"? Your version doesn't make any sense.

1st thing to do is find a gun range and buy a membership
2nd talk to people at the range, let them know your situation, many of them will love to help someone getting into guns
3rd join classes at range and learn safety, reloading, whatever, just get involved with the people at the range, you'll learn a ton and will fall in love with shooting
4th its addictive and you'll buy as many weapons as you can afford if you shoot regularly

4 basic rules steady platform/position, aim, breathing, trigger discipline. Of course in these 4 rules are the basics themselves.

When I teach, I am assuming your a civilian from your post, I always start the first day with a safety and handling the firearm. No live ammo and then I work on body mechanics and position without the firearm.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

DegenerateEra - Honestly, YouTube is a great resource. Just find a channel that you like and as long as it isn't too cooky/seems professional you'll be alright.

Great advice there's thousands of how- gun videos on YouTube

I guarantee there's even a video with someone breaking down and cleaning the gun you're going to get. Sit and watch it all the way through (check the manual to make sure he's doing it right), then do it along with the video.

Same goes for shooting form and grip and all that. Having someone teach you in person is the best (when they teach the right thing), but YouTube is full of great and useful gun videos.

Welcome to the hobby, it hit me like a freight train and I went from owning only one revolver to being a licensed collector of C&R guns (highly suggest anyone who is into guns get one-best 30 bucks you'll ever spend), reloading 8 different calibers, and a hobbyist Gunsmith in less than 3 years.

Be careful, have fun, and once you learn-pass the knowledge along! Phone Post 3.0

unclephilly - RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

This.

Good call on the Henry 22 Lever Action.

Those things are freaking sweet. Shoot all day for just pennies!

A few tips in the Bravo45 gunfighting thread, even for a beginner Phone Post 3.0

HULC - ^ I thought it was "fast is smooth and smooth is fast"? Your version doesn't make any sense.
Put another way - we will work on good, and fast will come. You don't train on fast because fundamentals get skipped. You start out slow & methodical..... fast will come naturally. Phone Post 3.0

Lrrr Ruler of Omicron Persei 8 -
zetti - Holding the gun side ways improves your aim and makes you look cool.
This is the single most valuable information you will ever get on guns and shooting them. Phone Post 3.0
The ol' "kill shot" Phone Post 3.0

MountainMedic - 
HULC - ^ I thought it was "fast is smooth and smooth is fast"? Your version doesn't make any sense.
Put another way - we will work on good, and fast will come. You don't train on fast because fundamentals get skipped. You start out slow & methodical..... fast will come naturally. Phone Post 3.0

Yea, I heard the saying from a sniper in a documentry. The point is that it doesnt make sense unless you think about it.

MM explained it pretty well.