Teaching a shrimping class

I've heard Joe Moreira call it snake move on his instructional videos.

Im pretty sure Joe Moreira calls em all snake moves. Maybe there is a difference and he does that to simplify? I dunno...but I dont think I hear shrimping, just snakey

Here is the first part of the class I recently taught at The Next Edge Academy in Sioux Falls. I took the forum's advice and taught more than just hip escapes, but as you can see hip movement is a big focus of the class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inomjqCgtAg

good vid. reinforcing good habits and fundamental building blocks.

thanks for sharing Aaron. definitely very useful.

Wish I didn't miss the stream of the seminar.

awesome vid aaron! the drill you're doing at the start of the vid is a killer...i love and hate it at the same time. you should go on the seminar circuit now...start with chicago and it's suburbs :)

Aaron, are you going to do another class and/or video elaborating even more on the shrimp move/hip movement since your initial plan was to focus solely on hip movements.

Jasonbaldy - Aaron, are you going to do another class and/or video elaborating even more on the shrimp move/hip movement since your initial plan was to focus solely on hip movements.

Maybe. The important thing to keep in mind is that the shrimp move/hip escape is like almost every other move in jiu-jitsu in that there are numerous ways to do it. At the beginning of this class I compared shrimping/hip escapes to shooting a basketball. Every player in the NBA has a different jump shot, some are pretty, some are ugly, and sometimes the players with the ugliest shots are even the best shooters. It's all about carving out a niche that works well for you. In fact, I was so focused on showing different ways to hip escape that I forgot to show one of my favorite ways which is to push off of both feet instead of just one. You can kind of see me do this a couple of times starting at the 17:47 mark of the video.

I hope you do a follow up video man. I think a lot of Americans are not too good using the hips and that is the essence of jiu jitus.

Thanks so much for posting that, Aaron.

I would like to see your approach to passing!

Aaron, thanks for the video, I do shadow grappling for conditioning. I've got a lot more drills to play with. Can you post some more?

mongrel 911 - Aaron, thanks for the video, I do shadow grappling for conditioning. I've got a lot more drills to play with. Can you post some more?

I think Bruce (Next Edge Academy owner) is planning to post the second 30 minutes of the class in the near future. That part of the class is more technique oriented than drill oriented, but still very grounded in concept.