Teaching my kid to water ski...need help

So last summer bought the family a 18' open bow ski boat. I just pulled the kids around on a tube so far but this summer my son says he wants learn how to water ski but I only have twice and have no idea how to teach him. anyone have tips or beginner ski recommendation? He's 12, 80 lbs if that matters Phone Post 3.0

Trial and error.

Youtube videos + trial and error.

Pay someone to teach him/you through trial and error.

Good luck buddy.

I m thinking about starting out with those skis that have the bar thingy attached to the front of each ski to keep them together Phone Post 3.0

Get him a wakeboard because chicks will like that more when he gets to high school Phone Post 3.0

ghost842 - So last summer bought the family a 18' open bow ski boat. I just pulled the kids around on a tube so far but this summer my son says he wants learn how to water ski but I only have twice and have no idea how to teach him. anyone have tips or beginner ski recommendation? He's 12, 80 lbs if that matters Phone Post 3.0
At 12 he's certainly strong enough to get out of the water. The faster you get the boat out of the hole the better. If he's having trouble getting comfortable in the water try a beach start with someone helping him with his positioning. Be encouraging and the more times he tries the better chance he has of getting on his skis. Phone Post 3.0

PoiuPoiu - ive seen squirrels do it, im sure a human boy can do it
Excellent point Phone Post 3.0

Buy a boom or go get a lesson where he will use a ski boom. A boom goes out perpendicular from the boat and eliminates the rope. It basically provides a lot of stability. I had my first lesson on a boom as lessons were negotiated w the purchase of our boat. I was probably 9 at the time. Check it out. Phone Post 3.0

I taught my five and eight year old this summer. I bought skis with a rope attaching the two skis at the front which really helped.

Lean back
Knees fully bent
Skis up
Let the rope do the lifting Phone Post 3.0

It's really not that hard.  My grandmother, of all people, taught me how to waterski.  She coached me up after we got in the water and gave me a bump to get out of the water and the rest is history.  I was only 8 at the time.  Two skis is cake.

Make sure you and your spotter know what you are doing more importantly. 

Rope in between your legs. Act like your sitting in a chair. Let the boat pull you up. Don't pull yourself forward. Phone Post 3.0

I started watersking as a kid. My Dad was good and could barefoot.
anyway, I'm no instructor but I'd stay away from the beach or shallow water starts. I think it's easier from deep water, just takes a bit to figure out what you're supposed to do.
the faster you can get the boat going, the better. not sure what you have for an engine on your 18' boat but I'd bet the boat is a bit quicker with less people in it. Have just the driver and a spotter in the boat.
he needs to lean back, hold the rope tight, keep the skis in front of him and just let the boat do the work. Stand up when it feel like you can. Try this, from land. have him sit on the ground, knees bent. stand in front of him, give him your hand like you're helping him stand up. pull him up to a standing position. now do it with the rope. that's the basics.
the one thing my Dad and uncles used to tell me when I was 1st learning was "don't let go of the rope". which is good advice, just hold the rope and the boat will pull you up. they kept saying it, "don't let go of the rope","don't let go of the rope".
over and over. my 1st time, that's all I could think of. don't let go of this damn rope. well, my Dad punched it and it pulled me up and on myface, but I didn't let go man. I got dragged face 1st for what seemed like an eternity but I never let go. they probably each had a 12 pack in them so I don't think their reaction time of killing the throttle was as quick as it should have been. as soon as they found out I was OK they laughed like hell and still do when the story comes up.
I got it soon enough and learned to love it. I'm 41 so I never did any wakeboarding stuff. Just old school wood skis was plenty of fun. We skid on the ocean too so it was a bit harder at times but still fun.

Yell at him and belittle him. Make fun of him a lot and threaten to leave him in the lake if he's "too stupid to figure it out!"

That's how my old man taught me. I don't really like water skiing or my dad any more, but I learned how to water ski. I guess it's all about trade offs. Phone Post 3.0

jake11 - I started watersking as a kid. My Dad was good and could barefoot.
anyway, I'm no instructor but I'd stay away from the beach or shallow water starts. I think it's easier from deep water, just takes a bit to figure out what you're supposed to do.
the faster you can get the boat going, the better. not sure what you have for an engine on your 18' boat but I'd bet the boat is a bit quicker with less people in it. Have just the driver and a spotter in the boat.
he needs to lean back, hold the rope tight, keep the skis in front of him and just let the boat do the work. Stand up when it feel like you can. Try this, from land. have him sit on the ground, knees bent. stand in front of him, give him your hand like you're helping him stand up. pull him up to a standing position. now do it with the rope. that's the basics.
the one thing my Dad and uncles used to tell me when I was 1st learning was "don't let go of the rope". which is good advice, just hold the rope and the boat will pull you up. they kept saying it, "don't let go of the rope","don't let go of the rope".
over and over. my 1st time, that's all I could think of. don't let go of this damn rope. well, my Dad punched it and it pulled me up and on myface, but I didn't let go man. I got dragged face 1st for what seemed like an eternity but I never let go. they probably each had a 12 pack in them so I don't think their reaction time of killing the throttle was as quick as it should have been. as soon as they found out I was OK they laughed like hell and still do when the story comes up.
I got it soon enough and learned to love it. I'm 41 so I never did any wakeboarding stuff. Just old school wood skis was plenty of fun. We skid on the ocean too so it was a bit harder at times but still fun.
Good post. Laughed hard at the part about getting dragged face first. Told my five year old the same thing and I ended up dragging him for about a hundred feet. Funny thing was that he thought he was actually skiing. Super proud of himself. Phone Post 3.0

Awesome post jake much appreciated Phone Post 3.0