Technologies to counter gun violence..

PatK - 
ringworm - Sorry, 5%, not 3% (sounds more believable)

Maybe I wasn't clear, that's 5% of shootings get solved, not homicides.

Although that's not much better, only 17% of homicides get solved.

In the 90s, it was over 60%

Yeah, that was all confusing. There's also a difference between "solved", and "convicted". I think 17% might be convicted not solved.

Anyway, I stand by my premise that the best way to greatly reduce the homicide rate is by locking up the gun toting criminal and hoodlum element.

ringworm - 
PatK - 
ringworm - Sorry, 5%, not 3% (sounds more believable)

Maybe I wasn't clear, that's 5% of shootings get solved, not homicides.

Although that's not much better, only 17% of homicides get solved.

In the 90s, it was over 60%

Yeah, that was all confusing. There's also a difference between "solved", and "convicted". I think 17% might be convicted not solved.

Anyway, I stand by my premise that the best way to greatly reduce the homicide rate is by locking up the gun toting criminal and hoodlum element.

They wouldn't be getting slapped on the wrist like they are now if a certain community organizer actually voted for and supported harsher penalties for gun crimes when he was a State Senator

Lots of info here, including cost per area:

www.shotspotter.com/system/content-uploads/SST_FAQ_January_2018.pdf

4) aggressively stop and frisk black people and confiscate illegal firearms

Luncha Libre - 4) aggressively stop and frisk black people and confiscate illegal firearms

Yeah, I think you run into 4th amendment problems with that one. I would propose using metal detectors or similar technologies to give probable cause for a search first. Also I wouldn't have police approaching people with the metal detector, I would have it run passively, say at a subway turnstile, then the police would be giving scrutiny to anyone who set off the detector, not people who they profiled walking down the street.