Tell me about high fat, low carb diets

I've heard carbs are evil- learn me Phone Post 3.0

Not sure about the High fat part, but for me carbs =weight.

Controlling my carbs controls my weight. Phone Post 3.0

Fat is good. Carbs are bad.

Look up macronutrients. Phone Post 3.0

CavemanDave - Not sure about the High fat part, but for me carbs =weight.

Controlling my carbs controls my weight. Phone Post 3.0
More details please Phone Post 3.0

Ketogenic diet is what you should look up.

High fat, moderate protein, less than 20g or carbs a day.

FRAT version, your body uses up its glycogen stores and starts using ketones and fatty acids for energy. Phone Post 3.0

Bread is delicious. Do a few extra jumping jacks or something. Phone Post 3.0

What you're looking for is a "ketogenic diet". I really like this style of dieting. Phone Post 3.0

I had been doing BJJ 3-4 times a week and 1.5 hour long Judo sessions twice a week and could not lose a pound even though I was training super hard. I went very low carb (Atkins induction) and within about 4 months had lost 50+ pounds. After about 6 months I had lost 64 pounds. I went off the diet and added about 80 pounds back in a matter of a year.  

Yes, low carb is the way to fucking go when losing weight. It will come off so fast that you won't believe it. It is also the perfect man diet. Steak, bacon, and hot wings every day and you will lose a ton of weight. I also did not have any issues with cholesteral or anything like that as far as my doc was concerned. I was as healthy as I have ever been in my life. 

The problem? It is NOT sustainable. It is also expensive. Steak is fucking awesome but when on Atkins I would spend about $120 per grocery visit. Right now on a traditional diet I spend about $60 per weekly visit. 

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to plan on the diet being temporary and for the purpose of weight loss. Have an exit strategy. You will not be able to live eating like this forever. It is very restricting and can be very challenging to stay on plan. 

I plan on going on a low carb kick for 3-4 weeks starting soon (as in, possibly later this week). The reason is that the losing one pound a week thing is not very motivating especially when you have 60+ pounds left to lose. So I will be low carbing for a while to try and drop a quick 20 pounds and then will get back on the traditional low calorie diet that allows for some carbs. 

I do think transitioning from low carb to paleo would be a pretty easy transition. Basically swap dairy for fruits and veggies and you have paleo. 

Also, be sure to take a daily multivitamin to counter some of the vitamins you may be missing. 

I have a ton of recipes if you are ready to get down. 

Any other questions?

Another drawback, you will be cooking a LOT. And not like making a sandwich type cooking real cooking that takes time, effort, knowledge, and clean up. I love to cook but going low carb allows no breaks in the cooking. You will learn very quickly that anything considered a quick snack is loaded with carbs. 

I've been on a high fat diet for years. I've seen astounding gains. Phone Post 3.0

Prepare to feel terrible as your body adjusts to close to no carbs. They'll call you mister cranky for while.

you're not going to do "no carbs." there are carbs in fruits and vegetables. cut out most of the bread/rice/potatoes and eat meals that are made of meat/fish and veggies with some fruit. for desert you can mess with dark chocolate wihtout too much guilt.

you lift heavy? high carb and protein those days, low carb and high protein on rest days.

high fat & high protein diet if you don't lift will make you lose weight quick, but as most say it's tough to sustain. you will live for your cheat days and cooking will take alot of time. sure you can always eat out but it the end it's going to cost you lots of money.

i suggest buying 'the 4 hour body'. great book to learn about diet and it also shows a variation of a low carb diet (not atkins). great way to learn about food and maintain a diet AFTER you fall off the low carb wagon, which will happen.

if you're body and health allows you to, i suggest starting a weigh training regiment to put muscle on so that you can have carbs and maintain you sanity.

good luck

Total calories eaten will have the greatest effect on body comp. You can get fat on a low carb/high fat diet. Phone Post 3.0

Have a look around here,especially if you're on a computer because they have an faq and such...

Reddit.com/r/keto Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles -

Another drawback, you will be cooking a LOT. And not like making a sandwich type cooking real cooking that takes time, effort, knowledge, and clean up. I love to cook but going low carb allows no breaks in the cooking. You will learn very quickly that anything considered a quick snack is loaded with carbs. 

Disagree,quick snacks for me on keto are some kind of nuts,certain kinds of jerky,or some cheddar cheese Phone Post 3.0

hard to do i tried

Ari2 - you're not going to do "no carbs." there are carbs in fruits and vegetables. cut out most of the bread/rice/potatoes and eat meals that are made of meat/fish and veggies with some fruit. for desert you can mess with dark chocolate wihtout too much guilt.
Fruit is hard as well depending on the type. You need to cut out starches and simple sugars.

Nuts, some beans, and veggies will do the trick better than most fruit. They do make low carb bread...it's not great but it helps.

Things I got weekly, celery, carrots, onions, pickles, olives, cottage cheese, various nuts, chicken, pork, beef, eggs(or egg beaters when I could stomach them),cheddar and mottz cheese, smoked string cheese, low carb meal replacement shakes, brocolli ,...on a more limited note low carb bread (16G per 2 slices...which means you can have 2 slices), tomatoes, and apples, which are better than most fruits.

My goal was not high fat low carb, it's just a dietary change I needed to make...it's probably how it turned out however.

It's not cheap but it's a great deal cheaper than eating out twice a week, and I have managed to drop significantly as long as I manage my carb intake.

Carb intake is needed if you plan on training regularly however. Phone Post 3.0

If you like technical reading, there is a free PDF online.

Google Lyle McDonald ketogenic diet. Great info and it covers a lot of misinformation regarding the low carb diet, such as the claim you can eat all you want and not gain weight.

Good read. Phone Post 3.0

Keto diet

Must have high fats and zero carbs so that your body goes into ketosis (carb buring)mode.

Cannot eat just high protein alone !!!!!!!!. Only works with high fat.. so lots of high fats + meats, nuts ect... put slim jims and pork rinds in your car so you don't break down and eat any carbs. If you eat carbs it will throw you out of ketosis.

It takes about 48 hours for your body to go into ketosis.

Breakfast example would be a couple burgers with cheeses slathered with mayonnaise and bacon.