Tell me about high fat, low carb diets

Fat is for energy.
Carbs are for getting fat. Phone Post 3.0

"Hey let's rename the Atkins diet and call it the keto diet and tell people to try it as if it is different or new!"

Low carb has repeatedly been shown to be the best approach to weight loss, but as noted the difficulty arises when coming off the ketogenic weight loss phase. When your in the very low carb phase it isn't hard to continue as long as your prepared. You need to plan carefully when adding back some carbs to the diet and be even more strict in avoiding all the processed foods. Avoid the high starches... Instead of potatoes try sweet potatoes, no rice try quinoa, no pasta try spaghetti squash. There are alternatives that can are very enjoyable, you just have to be adventurous and try a lot to see what works for you. I have used low carb for weight loss in the past and had great success but lost my way back many times. I have found a good balance right now, but I had to really involve the family so it is harder to back track. The more that all the recent research becomes more main stream and accepted that processed carbs are killing the country the easier this process will become Phone Post 3.0

I will say that when I am on a LC diet I eat cleaner than I ever have in my life. Generally at least one salad a day and zero processed foods. It's all pretty simple. Meat and veggies that are low in carbs. Cheese is allowed which if you remove dairy and add things like rice and veggies and fruits you are on Paleo. I prefer cheese to veggies and fruits so Atkins really works for me, for a while. 

If it works for you, great. But, after years of reading about this shit, I have concluded that keto diets are very over-rated. They are great for treating certain medical conditions. But for fat loss, they are unnecessary and often counterproductive, since can often leave you feeling like shit, and intense exercise is almost impossible to sustain.

Basically, your brain is going to use 30 grams of glucose, regardless, whether by breaking down protein or ingested carbs. Might as well ingest those carbs. Additionally, many people feel like shit going well below 100 grams of carbs.

Basically, it is sensible to start at around 100 grams and see how you do first, in my opinion. It's still lowish carb, but more reasonable so.

Bulletproof diet is legit!

I just had all my bloodwork done.

Even with drinking a case a week everything was good.

I'm 38, been part time Bulletproof for about 3 years. Phone Post 3.0

Phaedo - If it works for you, great. But, after years of reading about this shit, I have concluded that keto diets are very over-rated. They are great for treating certain medical conditions. But for fat loss, they are unnecessary and often counterproductive, since can often leave you feeling like shit, and intense exercise is almost impossible to sustain.

Basically, your brain is going to use 30 grams of glucose, regardless, whether by breaking down protein or ingested carbs. Might as well ingest those carbs. Additionally, many people feel like shit going well below 100 grams of carbs.

Basically, it is sensible to start at around 100 grams and see how you do first, in my opinion. It's still lowish carb, but more reasonable so.

I am not saying low carb diets are perefect but I do have a lot of experience with them. I have never experienced better energy levels than when on a low carb diet. Also, nothing works better for fat loss, nothing. 

I believe what you are explaining is the induction phase of atkins. Yes, there are a couple of days in the initial part of the diet where your body doesn't know wtf to do without carbs and your energy levels get all out of whack. After a week or two of sticking to the diet your energy levels will be fantastic, better than any other diet I have been on. Two hour open mats day or night no problem kinds of energy. So imo anyone who says that low carb screwed with their energy levels was either doing it wrong or gave up before their body was able to adjust.

Again the diet has a lot of problems but lack of energy or being able to sustain intense exercise is not one of them. The complete opposite in my experience (and I have had multiple long term low carb stints in my life). 

Latah Phone Post 3.0

Cutting back on carbs has worked for me. Went from 245 to 210. Not a big weight loss but just enough that I don't feel small and Im moving a lot better on the mats. I try to have a small bit of carbs in the morning then as little as possible throughout the rest of the day. Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles - 
Phaedo - If it works for you, great. But, after years of reading about this shit, I have concluded that keto diets are very over-rated. They are great for treating certain medical conditions. But for fat loss, they are unnecessary and often counterproductive, since can often leave you feeling like shit, and intense exercise is almost impossible to sustain.

I am not saying low carb diets are perefect but I do have a lot of experience with them. I have never experienced better energy levels than when on a low carb diet. Also, nothing works better for fat loss, nothing. 

I believe what you are explaining is the induction phase of atkins. Yes, there are a couple of days in the initial part of the diet where your body doesn't know wtf to do without carbs and your energy levels get all out of whack. After a week or two of sticking to the diet your energy levels will be fantastic, better than any other diet I have been on. Two hour open mats day or night no problem kinds of energy. So imo anyone who says that low carb screwed with their energy levels was either doing it wrong or gave up before their body was able to adjust.

Again the diet has a lot of problems but lack of energy or being able to sustain intense exercise is not one of them. The complete opposite in my experience (and I have had multiple long term low carb stints in my life). 

I've tried keto multiple times, for over four weeks each time, and I felt terrible each time. And yes, it was very high fat, moderate protein, low to no carb. Also, I did NOT feel full. I can eat huge amounts of fat, no problem. Thousands of calories, no problem. So I lost very little weight. When I ate high protein, moderate carb, and lowish fat, I felt full and leaned out very quickly.

I would be careful with the claim that because keto worked for you, it will work for everyone. I don't think that is a sound claim. Perhaps you feel better running primarily on ketones. Not everyone is built that way, IMO.

Also, the benefits of a keto diet for fat loss has far more to do with the satiating effect of being in ketosis (it can curb hunger in many people) and the simplicity of the diet than a magic fat burning mode achieved by extremely low carb diets. Again, feeling full and sticking to a diet are good things, and keto can work for some people - but it's not magic, nor is it for everyone. At least that's what my experience tells me.

Phuckles -

"Hey let's rename the Atkins diet and call it the keto diet and tell people to try it as if it is different or new!"

Not sure if you are joking or just uninformed but for the record the ketogenic diet has been around at least 100 years and by far precedes Dr Atkins rebadging and marketing of the same diet. Phone Post 3.0

Harlem Savoy - Fat is good. Carbs are bad.

Look up macronutrients. Phone Post 3.0
Some fats are good, don't be one of those people that eat bacon and cheeseburgers ever meal but no carbs. Phone Post 3.0

colubrid1 - Keto diet

Must have high fats and zero carbs so that your body goes into ketosis (carb buring)mode.

Cannot eat just high protein alone !!!!!!!!. Only works with high fat.. so lots of high fats + meats, nuts ect... put slim jims and pork rinds in your car so you don't break down and eat any carbs. If you eat carbs it will throw you out of ketosis.

It takes about 48 hours for your body to go into ketosis.

Breakfast example would be a couple burgers with cheeses slathered with mayonnaise and bacon.

I stopped reading when I got to this post because it is exactly what I was going to say.

When I need to lose 10,15, or 20lbs...I start and only drink tons of water, non processed turkey, ham and then burgers, steak, cheese, pork chops, pepperoni, lots of omelets with bacon sausage etc..

I stay away from anything white. Bread, pasta, potatoes grits etc...

I eat 0 carbs and can lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks. After that, I may intro a few carbs back in to the diet. I may put on a couple lbs but then it is maintained.

For me, as I eat more carbs, I put on more weight. I don't mind the lack of pasta, breads, candies so the diet is really easy for me.

Not for everyone though.

mglaw -
colubrid1 - Keto diet

Must have high fats and zero carbs so that your body goes into ketosis (carb buring)mode.

Cannot eat just high protein alone !!!!!!!!. Only works with high fat.. so lots of high fats + meats, nuts ect... put slim jims and pork rinds in your car so you don't break down and eat any carbs. If you eat carbs it will throw you out of ketosis.

Breakfast example would be a couple burgers with cheeses slathered with mayonnaise and bacon.

I stopped reading when I got to this post because it is exactly what I was going to say.

When I need to lose 10,15, or 20lbs...I start and only drink tons of water, non processed turkey, ham and then burgers, steak, cheese, pork chops, pepperoni, lots of omelets with bacon sausage etc..

I eat 0 carbs and can lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks. After that, I may intro a few carbs back in to the diet. I may put on a couple lbs but then it is maintained.

For me, as I eat more carbs, I put on more weight. I don't mind the lack of pasta, breads, candies so the diet is really easy for me.

Not for everyone though.

That's quite a bit of weight in a short time. Although some is water weight, I'm assuming you have a high intense workout of some kind? Phone Post 3.0

It depends what you are doing. What are your goals?

Got to take in to consideration the energy systems you're going to be firing off of.

Are you a long distance runner? A power lifter? A fighter?

Very important when it comes to diet.

^ goals for sure. I'm trying to build muscle while staying lean so I do a cyclical ketogenic diet. 5 days of high fat, low carb, and moderate protein. Weekend carb refeed. All with intermittent fasting every day.

If I wasn't trying to build muscle I would do strictly ketogenic because of the numerous health benefits. Muscles can't use fat for energy tho.

Meat, eggs, cheese, avocados, veggies, and olive/coconut oil are the staples of my diet while in ketogenic. I need to cut back on ranch/bleu cheese dressing but they're great fat sources. Phone Post 3.0

The amount of fat that is actually burned through ketosis is surprisingly insignificant. The magic of low carb diets or any type of diet is calorie deficit. How you achieve that is up to you. You can't eat thousands of extra calories every day and expect to lose weight because you are in ketosis. It just won't happen. You HAVE to be in a calorie deficit. If you're going to maintain a deficit why not eat all types of food? The benefits outweigh the illusion that ketosis is a magical process that turns you into a Greek god.

Want some real advice? Buy a food scale and measuring spoons. Track your calories/macros. Lift weights. Phone Post 3.0

Why did hipsters change the name of the Atkins? Phone Post 3.0

Kid Charlemagne - 
mglaw -
colubrid1 - Keto diet

Not for everyone though.

That's quite a bit of weight in a short time. Although some is water weight, I'm assuming you have a high intense workout of some kind? Phone Post 3.0

Running!

For me... at first it feels like you are doing everything wrong by eating high fat foods etc..

But then the weight just falls off.

The last time I was on the diet, it just happen to coincide with a annual physical.

My numbers were excellent.

Buddy of mine didn't make it 4 days on the diet and said he hated. I just thinks it works well for some and maybe not others

lilmanster - The amount of fat that is actually burned through ketosis is surprisingly insignificant. The magic of low carb diets or any type of diet is calorie deficit. How you achieve that is up to you. You can't eat thousands of extra calories every day and expect to lose weight because you are in ketosis. It just won't happen. You HAVE to be in a calorie deficit. If you're going to maintain a deficit why not eat all types of food? The benefits outweigh the illusion that ketosis is a magical process that turns you into a Greek god.

Want some real advice? Buy a food scale and measuring spoons. Track your calories/macros. Lift weights. Phone Post 3.0
Do you have a source for that first sentence?

What I love about a low carb diet is that I'm burning fat day and night. And I can measure this with a ketostix.

Whereas on a regular carb diet, I may be hammering away at the gym but some of what I'm burning off is the glycogen. It may be all of it depending on how much I have stored. I can't definitely say I'll burn fat as the body burns glycogen before it does fat.

I have noticed if I'm doing keto and not exercising, the cravings aren't as strong. I think the key to incorporating exercise on this diet is to not make it too intense. Phone Post 3.0