Tell me about Jacksonville

I am originally from South Florida, born and raised. Went to school at UF, up in North Central Florida, traveled to Jacksonville a few times a year to get out of town and watch football. Always liked the city and the St. John’s River.

Currently been living in Los Angeles for the last eleven years. Made a good bit of money here, but the politics and the lock downs are making it impossible to live here and I really just need to surround myself with like-minded people.

Right now, I am thinking either Dallas or Jacksonville (work is dictating these cities, since there are offices there). So those are our only two options. I am leaning Jacksonville, because it puts us both back in Florida, where our families are and the price of homes in the San Marco and even Jacksonville Beach area are well within our budget.

None of the typical “down sides” to Jacksonville really bother me like…Gods and Guns…fine…Traffic…it can’t be worse than LA, “deep southerners” are tolerable…

Jacksonville is one major fucking shithole. My company has tried to get me to relocate there for the past 10 years. No fucking way.

ChokeHisAss - 

Jacksonville is one major fucking shithole. My company has tried to get me to relocate there for the past 10 years. No fucking way.

Where are you at currently? I own a house in the San Fernando Valley… Its basically Mexico, with homeless people taking over…

So all things are relative…my 3-1 house thats 1000 square feets costs nearly 650k…

Jacksonville proper is a bit of a dump. It is so spread out though, that you can easily find a nice area. South in Orange Park/Fleming Island in Clay County and Southeast in St. Johns County are decent. My parents lived in Orange Park/Fleming Island for 10 years. 

Never let any of AlexWysocki's lady friends dogsit for you. 

2 Likes

Used to think it was a total shithole.

Now, I think it’s a shithole with some cool spots throughout.

I live near Jax...If you end up there, let me know and drinks will be on me.

This house is listed at 350k 

![](upload://zc8ZL19b8wnLOs09Ov2WBg2kckq.jpeg)

![](upload://iWqeTL3ugDHhxuszH3puwgYB89k.jpeg)

This house is listed at 240k

I am going to walk with about 200k when I sell my shitty home in LA....

Where I live, this house cost 600k dollars.

jcblass - 

Everybody knows LA Realty SUCKS! 

DaveFu - 
jcblass - 

Agreed, so although a place like Jacksonville might now be THE BEST…its a paradise compared to where I am currently living. So there are intangibles. Like getting close to family etc…but I was just curious about the city…the night life, live music scene, sports have always been decent…

We like the San Marco area and also some of the neighborhoods toward Jacksonville beach. 

Hocky -

Used to think it was a total shithole.

Now, I think it’s a shithole with some cool spots throughout.

I live near Jax...If you end up there, let me know and drinks will be on me.

And I'll have you over for a sick BBQ!!!!

jcblass - 
DaveFu - 
jcblass - 

Agreed, so although a place like Jacksonville might now be THE BEST…its a paradise compared to where I am currently living. So there are intangibles. Like getting close to family etc…but I was just curious about the city…the night life, live music scene, sports have always been decent…

We like the San Marco area and also some of the neighborhoods toward Jacksonville beach. 

The Jacksonville downtown Entertainment district is decent. You can boat there from the St. Johns. Boats n' Hoes! The 30-40 blocks that separate downtown from the suburbs are far from idelal. Then everything outside ranges from Deliverance Banjo Country to Multi-Millionaire worthy. 

Everybody plays Orlando. So it's rare they don't play Tampa and Jax too. 

Jacksonville isn’t terrible but I’d rather drive a little and live in palm coast. Palm Coast is very nice. Thing about Jacksonville is that it’s huge. It’s the largest geographical city in the country. Since it’s so spread out it has some great areas and some shitty areas and they really aren’t even close to each other. 

![](upload://6MM5SlIeOjn5Q8kPSG00BbM6JwO.jpeg)

Jacksonville is mostly a dump. But LA is more of a dump. At least you can live and enjoy a nice house in JAX because you're definitely not getting that in LA. Also the money your saving on housing, you can upgrade vehicles, dining etc. long term win. I can't speak for Texas, I've only driven through there. That's a big ass state. But crapping on relocating to JAX isn't a downgrade from LA. Especially since LA is about to burn down to the ground. Which is ironic because LA already looks like burnt crap.

I used to think southerners annoyed me......until I moved to California. jesus those ppl are insufferable.

ill take nice ignorant southerners anyday

Coming Up Milhouse - 

Jacksonville is mostly a dump. But LA is more of a dump. At least you can live and enjoy a nice house in JAX because you're definitely not getting that in LA. Also the money your saving on housing, you can upgrade vehicles, dining etc. long term win. I can't speak for Texas, I've only driven through there. That's a big ass state. But crapping on relocating to JAX isn't a downgrade from LA. Especially since LA is about to burn down to the ground. Which is ironic because LA already looks like burnt crap.

Right, that’s the trade off, having actual property and a nicer home at a fraction of the cost. I think true freedom is economic freedom so rather than sit here and burn through savings during the “lock down” and hope the housing market doesn’t crash next, we are going to sell and move.

Jacksonville works, because my entire family is in South Florida, and my fiance’s family is in the Panhandle, Nashville and Alabama (NASA).

We end up having to fly to florida like 3x a year anyway and its expensive. However, ultimately, we would have a ton of money in the bank and be able to travel and just enjoy life more rather than dumping it all into a crazy mortgage payment in an area of California that looks like literal mexico.