Tell me about the leg drag pass

So I have found myself starting to use this style of pass, but would like some more information on how to best use this pass, details and any other information needed to use it effectively.

i was going to give you a specific link, but googling "leg drag pass" will turn up the same result.

the magic of the internet.

jiu jitsu laboratory has a bunch of resources on this.

use a google.

I like it, but the key to learning it is by pretty much throwing everything you have ever learned about passing out the window and relearning with a whitebelt mentality. Because the principles are very different. Phone Post

I disagree. Leg drags follow the exact principals of all successful guard passes.

joshjitsu - I like it, but the key to learning it is by pretty much throwing everything you have ever learned about passing out the window and relearning with a whitebelt mentality. Because the principles are very different. Phone Post

I too am a bit confused how it doesn't follow basic principles on passing and I use this style to pass quite often, not hating or anything just why you think this Phone Post

The principles are the same, but the instincts that you build from doing passes like the cross knee or bull fighter are completely different from the leg drag and will cause you to fail it until you break those habits.

ex. traditionally you try to outrun your opponent's legs towards his head. In the leg drag you move towards the legs.

In many passes you smash one leg into the ground to begin the technique. In the leg drag you lift the foot high and then pass it across your body.

The principles are the same, but the instincts that you build from doing passes like the cross knee or bull fighter are completely different from the leg drag and will cause you to fail it until you break those habits.

ex. traditionally you try to outrun your opponent's legs towards his head. In the leg drag you move towards the legs.

In many passes you smash one leg into the ground to begin the technique. In the leg drag you lift the foot high and then pass it across your body.

After I pass the legs in any guard pass, I always move back towards the legs to control their hips before i move forward for upper body control.

i kinda get what HyG is getting at. i've been busting ass to work the leg drag into my game simply for the back exposure, but it not coming easily.

as mentioned earlier, jjlab has done a really good job collecting some excellent leg drag resources.

http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/leg-drag-pass-%E2%80%93-part-i/

i especially like martin's video on getting the angle. since i'm pretty bad at actually getting a foot all the way across, i really look to move a knee to a place i can start to pressure it with my chest. if i can do that and maintain decent hip control, things usually sort themselves out.

Leo Teixeira showed me a very nice guard pass and one of the sweet little bits from it was consolidating the position by using your knee to direct their legs away from you once you have passed.

Muffinho - I disagree. Leg drags follow the exact principals of all successful guard passes.

Standard passes are built of of moving forward and progressing through the guard (ie: torenado, moving to half guard establishing a underhook, etc) as the leg drag works off of only moving from side to side. And always passing around the guard instead of through it. Which in my opinion changes all the dynamics.

I took some privates from a really good leg drag passer and that's the mentality he had as well. It's hard for me to relay in this post but if I was on the mats with you I could explain myself much better. Phone Post