Tell me about Yoshihiro Akiyama

Akiyama is legit. He will make a splash in the Octogon for sure.

I think he is half Japanese half Korean.

He is a greasing cheater...so he will fit right in with the UFC but wont get to use his loaded glove.

Master Shredder -  He is a greasing cheater...so he will fit right in with the UFC but wont get to use his loaded glove.

boooooo

anyone care to tell me more about this "loaded glove" ?

Grease or no grease, belcher will KO this fool

cheater and a disgrace to mma.

Ricky Martin - 
fiercedragon - what did everyone forget manhoef just got ganked...?

against a heavyweight K-1 fighter.

Who is the best striker Anderson Silva has beaten?

Exactly.

Anderson striking gets overrated due to him being flashy and destroying MMA fighters with strikes.  The ebst strikers he has beaten were Murray, Franklin and Cote and neither of them are anythign special when it comes to straight standup.

Anderson never did anything of note in muay thai in Brazil, which has a much weaker scene than Holland, yet people seem to thin he is the best striker in the world and would have no problem beating top level dutch muay thia fighters???

Melvin would definitely be favoured in a straight standup fight over Anderson.

ballet of violence -  anyone care to tell me more about this "loaded glove" ?

Grease or no grease, belcher will KO this fool

some people think he had brass knucks in his glove when he fought Sakaraba...I dont know if he did or not I was just trolling.

Some say he admitted to greasing so the loaded glove would get swept under the rug...it was a big deal on here for a week or so after he fought Saku.

Why not use a loaded glove w/out the dragon's head then? Might have been loaded but not with that shit or he would've killed saku.

I'm not saying his glove was loaded thats just the pic that was posted on a million threads when it was a big deal on here a few yrs ago.

He is "zainichi" - ethnically Korean but has lived in Japan his whole life.

He has also been accused of greasing in judo matches.

had korean citizenship until his 20s, trained in korea to make the korean national judo team, didn't make the team due to politics,

became a japanese citizen and won the asian judo championship by beating a korean judoka in the finals, 5th in the worlds, where he was accused of wearing a slippery gi

iirc, was popular in japan until the sakuraba incident

was pretty dead even against misaki until the illegal kick

solid judoka with impressive boxing skills. i like belcher but i have to go with akiyama.

"The ebst strikers he has beaten were Murray, Franklin and Cote and neither of them are anythign special when it comes to straight standup."

Then you can probably name loads of guys who have beaten them on the feet, right?

"
Melvin would definitely be favoured in a straight standup fight over Anderson."

Melvin barely beat Anderson's far inferior teammate Cyborg, and basically won by being slightly less exhausted (one round in) than his opponent.

the loaded glove thing was pure romoshop

Melvin was injured in that fight and barely trained.

Melvin has fought some of the best dutch Muay Thai fighters in the world, Anderson has fought a few good MMA strikers.  Anderson turned down K-1 in 2004 for a reason, he would get smashed if he was fighting the likes of Gokhan Saki, Tyrone Spong, Badr Hari, etc year round.

epwar - His biggest win is over Denis Kang if that tells you anything. Or Sakuraba, where he got caught for greasing and it was ruled a NC.

But he fights in Japan and dresses nice so he is deemed a God by the Japan-o-philes.

His win over Kang tells you he's legit since Kang was a solid top 10 guy at the time and it wasnt as if Kang lost by a stupid sub via mental lapse. He got outboxed (he apparently got hit in the eye but iirc it was a legit punch and not a finger). It also tells you his striking is legit since Kang's is unquestionably legit.

By the same token, he fights in Japan and the jap-o-haters will tell you he sucks or is overated just because.

Who the hell has called him a god or best MW in the world, btw? Most people just call him a good top 10 caliber guy, which you cant really argue with.

anderson better not retire before fighting akiyama. i'm not saying akiyama would beat anderson, but he will forever branded as ducking akiyama if he retires

on a side note, akiyama just got married and his wife is frickin HAWT.

http://ballhype.com/story/shiho_hot_model_girlfriend_of_yoshihiro_akiyama/

He's korean and sexy!

"Ryo Chonan outstruck your hero for 3 rounds."

Chonan landed a few more leg kicks against a supposedly injured Anderson five years ago.

"Anderson turned down K-1 in 2004 for a reason"

Yes, he did -- at the time, he was not nearly as good as he is now, and he was fighting at 170.

Regardless, Anderson beating the likes of Cote, Franklin and Murray, doesnt really make a strong case for him having success against the likes of Saki, Spong, Manhoef, Carnage, etc under K-1 or full Thai rules.

He would definitely be a pretty solid underdog in those fights.