Tell me how to play Dark Souls 2

Sogflop - Also the pursuer will make you pull your hair out. Phone Post 3.0

I love that guy, especially in the scholar version.  Fight him every time.

Stache -
Cutty McButts -
Stache -

And if you're having trouble, try the rapier.  It's not the most fun weapon but it's fast and does a ton of damage.  Speedrunners use it almost exclusively for those reasons.

The DS2 rapier? Re-he-heally... Phone Post 3.0

lol

The rapier is pretty OP.  Used it a lot when I first started playing.

I used the crap out of it in 3, buy I never tried it in DS2. I really liked the Drangleic GS, good damage and a tricky moveset. Phone Post 3.0

andyman011 - Dark souls 2 is great, I play a heavy shield and longsword block 100 percent and heavy swing counters. I'm stuck at the gargoyles Phone Post 3.0
Gargoyles are weak to fire. Phone Post 3.0

Run at enemies, roll to your right when you get close, get behind them and swing 1-2 times. Back away and be ready to do that again.
That works on like 90% of enemies. Phone Post 3.0

Cutty McButts -
Stache -
Cutty McButts -
Stache -

And if you're having trouble, try the rapier.  It's not the most fun weapon but it's fast and does a ton of damage.  Speedrunners use it almost exclusively for those reasons.

The DS2 rapier? Re-he-heally... Phone Post 3.0

lol

The rapier is pretty OP.  Used it a lot when I first started playing.

I used the crap out of it in 3, buy I never tried it in DS2. I really liked the Drangleic GS, good damage and a tricky moveset. Phone Post 3.0

I haven't tried the rapier yet in 3.  I hear it has a relatively interesting moveset for a change.  In 2, I normally use the bandit axe because it's pretty fast, has decent scaling and the moveset is great (horizontal and vertical attacks).  Fun weapons are pretty scarce in 2, I find.

I used pokey swords for the first time ever in DS3 and I was amazed at how effective they are. You've got a weapon that's good for every aspect of the game: clearing levels, fighting bosses and PVP (in ds3 anyway).

There's nothing wrong with using a melee character when you're new to the game. Personally, I think that's the ideal build along with pyromancer. If you go the melee route then you'll have to decide between focusing on stat scaling or vitality/endurance. The easiest way is to do a vitality endurance build at first (with elemental upgrades) and then switch to a stat scaling build when you approach endgame.

Here's some weapons I found incredibly useful for pve:

Mace
Large club
Great club
Greatsword Phone Post 3.0

The great thing about strength weapons in ds2 is that you can stagger the fuck out of the enemies. If you use the mace for the first part of the game you can get to work right away. Phone Post 3.0

I dont think class matters all that much- it all depends on what you upgrade melee isnt that bad, you will get good.

Ultimate noob tip in DS2: get the ring of binding! That way your health bar isnt always stuck at half and you can save your humanity for tough bosses early. Gl and praise the sun Phone Post 3.0

Ok so I did all the tutorial-ish stuff in Things Betwixt (except the ogres because I assumed they'd fuck me up) and then a little ways into the Forest of Fallen Giants. Died a couple of times but haven't encountered anything particularly difficult yet. I have a whole mess of questions because the game isn't really all that informative:

1) How the hell does saving work? I know you can't really save and then retry stuff, but does saving only work at bonfires or when you quit does it actually save your location/status/everything?

2) What governs enemy respawning?

3) Souls are the equivalent of both currency and XP?

4) My equipment seems to deteriorate. How do I repair it and what happens if the status bar of a piece of equipment goes to empty?

5) Should I fight this white knight dude in the forest? I killed everyone around him, but he just sits there chilling out. I can target him but I can't talk to him. Am I too low level to fight him?

6) Any general tips on beefing up or combat in general? It seems like the best combat method seems to be to hit them quick when they're at medium distance before they can get their attack off, or to hide behind the shield and counter-attack.

Step 1

Praise the Sun

1) saving only happens at a bonfire. Yes it records where you are and everything.

2) enemies (except defeated bosses) respawn whenever you rest. You get health, so do they.

3) the blacksmith. Keep going in the forest, you're almost to the person who has the key to his shop. Phone Post 3.0

3 should be 4. Phone Post 3.0

What weapon are you using? Hiding behind a shield is a good idea.

There are a number of ways to go about combat. Just surviving is good. Phone Post 3.0

Plodding and slow. 2 steps forward, 3 back, 3 steps forward, 2 back

I recommend a sword and board to learn the game. Get used to dodging, blocking and swordplay, introduce casting and buffs as you learn and figure out what you want to do

Turtling and timing is a very effective tactic for a beginner Phone Post 3.0

SilcStar - 1) saving only happens at a bonfire. Yes it records where you are and everything.

2) enemies (except defeated bosses) respawn whenever you rest. You get health, so do they.

3) the blacksmith. Keep going in the forest, you're almost to the person who has the key to his shop. Phone Post 3.0

Wait, when I got to the white knight, I cleared out everyone around him, and then I saved/quit. You telling me when I continue tonight, I'm gonna be back at the last bonfire with those enemies respawned?

Yes. But not the white knight. He is special. Did you best him? (Was meant to be beat, but spell check works well here) Phone Post 3.0

There is a limit to respawning. 15 times I think. There are spots where I did that just so to grind, or so that they're gone. Phone Post 3.0

SilcStar - What weapon are you using? Hiding behind a shield is a good idea.

There are a number of ways to go about combat. Just surviving is good. Phone Post 3.0

Right now I have a shortsword, and some weird longsword with yellow shit on it. Maybe yellow quartz longsword? Something like that.

Tomato Can -
SilcStar - 1) saving only happens at a bonfire. Yes it records where you are and everything.

Wait, when I got to the white knight, I cleared out everyone around him, and then I saved/quit. You telling me when I continue tonight, I'm gonna be back at the last bonfire with those enemies respawned?

As long as you didn't sit at a bonfire (or die) after clearing out the area, they won't respawn when you load your game and you will start where you left off.  You can make save states in ds2.

Tomato Can -
SilcStar - What weapon are you using? Hiding behind a shield is a good idea.

Right now I have a shortsword, and some weird longsword with yellow shit on it. Maybe yellow quartz longsword? Something like that.
The sword from the white knight? It has a little symbol. It's lightening. Phone Post 3.0