Tell me what you think...

I found a place w/ 1400 sq. ft with an office, 1 bathroom and ALL open space ($600/month). I am going to setup a mat in the open area, a kick bag and the necessary equipment that we have.

Now here is the plan - I have about 10 guys involved w/me and we are going to split the cost and all have access so we can work out ANYTIME - 24x7! We are calling it the Martial Art COOP...anyone else who wants to get involved makes it cheaper for everyone else and you take your buddies and roll w/ them whenever it is best for you. Plus we can share styles with anyone that wants to be involved.

I still have to get some contracts in place for the COOP and check on insurance and stuff...but what do you guys think?

I really want some opinions because I think this could really work. I know Sooooo many people that want to train but DONT because they cant make the schedule around classes - this fixes all that.

Give me feedback...

what city?

Tulsa, Oklahoma

ttt

Cmon guys I need opinions - Pro's and Cons of the idea and if you think it would be useful from your perspective to have 24x7 access to a place to roll for a fraction of what you pay for classes.

We can still have instructors come in time to time or even special guests to do seminars...

With 10 guys and only $600/month, it sounds like it would work as long as everyone sticks with it. Hell, with that base, you can charge any new members a modest fee that you guys can put into an account to get training equipment or offset your monthly expenses (i.e.: electric, water, insurance, phone, etc...)

But with 10 partners, something is bound to go wrong. I'd open it myself and charge people monthly dues to cut down the confusion. If you're not looking to make money, just a place to train, it's a pretty cheap way to have a place.

OK...how bout this...6 of the 10 guys are the most serious, so how bout we make them the business partners on this venture and set a standard cost for the COOP - then everything above and beyond that is what we put into an account to get the other equipment and offset the monthly expenses.

Now there are just 6 guys going into business together...

Thanks for the input

OK...how bout this...6 of the 10 guys are the most serious, so how bout we make them the business partners on this venture and set a standard cost for the COOP - then everything above and beyond that is what we put into an account to get the other equipment and offset the monthly expenses.

Now there are just 6 guys going into business together...

Thanks for the input

Put it in writing up front. Otherwise you will be sorry. Watch for the pitfalls. Straight coop sounds great, but what happens if the roof needs replaced or the plumbing goes to hell. Those involved may be unwilling or unable to contribute to costs beyond what they originally considered. Do it on paper with a legal contract. Its a pain in the ass, but it will save your from head aches later.

The pros are pretty obvious...

At first glance possible red flags would surround how you hold everyone liable for their part. It is unlikely a landlord would want countless names on a lease. Instead one or a couple would likely need to sign the lease and then have personal contracts with the rest.

These personal contracts could get tricky...who is liable if you come in one day and someone has damaged the place over night and no one will own up to it? What if one or multiple people want out? Definately get legal advice on how to draw them up.

Insurance might also be expensive...with 24-7 access and no structure.

If you do go ahead with it definately get legal advice and maybe check into forming some sort of a corporation in order to limit your personal liability.

thanks... I will check into those.

There are two things that can happen - it works and makes money or its just us and we have a place to train. Lets examine both - if it works and some people dont want to be involved anymore we sign it over to whoever does, but you are correct contracts need to be in place and probably for a short commitment period of about 6 months. If it doesnt work we at least have a place to train whenever we want and we can discuss our options at the end of 6 months.

THis is something I have been talking about for over a year, but just never really took it serious and I think there are a lot of people out there that could use a more flexible schedule when it comes to just having a place to train.

Do you guys agree that you could use something like this?