Tenth Planet Jiu Jitsu: Brazil Affiliates..?

So Eddie Bravo said at the Metamoris press conference that people think he started teaching a no gi system because he hates BJJ - but really, he loves BJJ, and wanted to save it because all the BJJ guys were getting smashed in MMA by wrestlers.

http://youtu.be/GC5-SMikmBE?t=2m52s

...so I was wondering where all the Brazilian guys who submitted their opponents at UFC on Fuel 10 trained Tenth Planet Jiu Jitsu?
I don't know much about the other guys, but I didn't know Fabricio Werdum does Tenth Planet, or that there are 'moon bases' in Brazil.

Too bad Helio didn't get together with Eddie after he beat Royler, so Eddie could have helped make his jiu jitsu effective in MMA, or even vale tudo - where good technique is even more important because the guy can hit you in a lot more places.

Cool thread. Phone Post 3.0

here you go.

CUO: if it was any cooler, it would be over forty years old, and in a Linkin Park tribute band.

UGCTT: thanks.

You make yourself look foolish by purposely misinterpreting what he said. And the fact that youre biased against him regardless of what he said at metamoris comes out pretty clearly in your post. Dumb thread (imo). But obv you dont think so
. Phone Post

How did I misinterpret what he said - deliberately, or otherwise...?
He unequivocally stated that training in the gi is useless for MMA; I asked whether the guys who just tore up the last UFC (record number of submissions on a card...?) had a gi BJJ background.

He's also on record as saying that Helio Gracie should have gone to him in order to make BJJ a practical fighting art out of the gi.

How is bias obvious...?
I presented a coherent argument: a man's statement is contrary to observed facts.
Seems you're biased FOR him...

Don't know about the title, but Eddie was super cool in that interview, as was Royler. I am really looking forward to this.

GrahamJ - How did I misinterpret what he said - deliberately, or otherwise...?
He unequivocally stated that training in the gi is useless for MMA; I asked whether the guys who just tore up the last UFC (record number of submissions on a card...?) had a gi BJJ background.

He's also on record as saying that Helio Gracie should have gone to him in order to make BJJ a practical fighting art out of the gi.

How is bias obvious...?
I presented a coherent argument: a man's statement is contrary to observed facts.

No, what Eddie was referring to was when the first wave of really high level wrestlers were coming in during the time of the rise of Hendo, Couture, Matt Hughes, etc. He was not referring to the current state of things (where even the best bjj black belts take the gi off and train no gi to get ready for their fights). Remember, Eddie came from a time where fighters trained in the gi all the way up to when they were to go into the cage and THAT was the stuff he was referring to. So what him, Chris Brennan, and others said is in now but go back 8-10yrs ago and that shit was blasphemy. If you deny it that shows that either you were not around during that timeframe or you are trolling.

this guy needs to stop starting threads Phone Post 3.0

Hunter V - 
GrahamJ - How did I misinterpret what he said - deliberately, or otherwise...?

How is bias obvious...?

No, what Eddie was referring to was when the first wave of really high level wrestlers were coming in during the time of the rise of Hendo, Couture, Matt Hughes, etc. He was not referring to the current state of things (where even the best bjj black belts take the gi off and train no gi to get ready for their fights). Remember, Eddie came from a time where fighters trained in the gi all the way up to when they were to go into the cage and THAT was the stuff he was referring to. So what him, Chris Brennan, and others said is in now but go back 8-10yrs ago and that shit was blasphemy. If you deny it that shows that either you were not around during that timeframe or you are trolling.

gracies been going no gi before eddie stepped on the mat

And Greek pankration athletes were doing "no gi" before the Gracie family existed, so what?

Lots of guys don't train with the gi at all and do great at MMA. Phone Post 3.0

John Frankl - Don't know about the title, but Eddie was super cool in that interview, as was Royler. I am really looking forward to this.

Agreed... Eddie showed graciousness and did a good job of getting his point across.

Gotta say never knew that Eddie had a "bad image"at any point for going no gi. Then again, I didn't start following the bjj scene within past 3-4 years. I've always had crazy respect for him and his system. Any 10th planet guys feel they were looked down at for there choice? I understand maybe a tournament rivalry but it sounds like Eddie has really been accused(I'm sure there's a better word) of things for no reason. Phone Post

I'm not a Rubber Guard fan and I think Eddie's music sucks.

But I'm rooting for him to smash Royler, just because of that lame, condescending introduction by Ralek. Phone Post 3.0

Tboney8669 - Gotta say never knew that Eddie had a "bad image"at any point for going no gi. Then again, I didn't start following the bjj scene within past 3-4 years. I've always had crazy respect for him and his system. Any 10th planet guys feel they were looked down at for there choice? I understand maybe a tournament rivalry but it sounds like Eddie has really been accused(I'm sure there's a better word) of things for no reason. Phone Post

10th planet sf day time instructur here. Some people just love to hate. I have been to a fair share of gyms and always find everyone to be respectful regardless of my affiliate. Most of the hate I see is on the internet. Waste of time and energy imo. Just train :)

Cant wait for the rematch, Its going be a great match. Phone Post

I would assume no one on this forum actually thinks rubber guard or Eddie's brand of no gi jiu-jitsu actually helps MMA fighters (someone like MG's style seems to help much more), but there's no need to dis the guy. He won a match at ADCC. That's a huge accomplishment.

Eddie puts the fact that BJJ guys were not as successful after the first UFC's down to the gi. The reason they were not as successful is because after those first few UFC's people became more aware of BJJ, so it wasn't as easy to just go in and armlock or triangle guys who have no idea what a triangle even is. Especially harder to do from the bottom once they learn a bit.

I'm harping on about this because Eddie seems to trumpet this point of view every time I hear him speak.

Stubjj844 - Eddie puts the fact that BJJ guys were not as successful after the first UFC's down to the gi. The reason they were not as successful is because after those first few UFC's people became more aware of BJJ, so it wasn't as easy to just go in and armlock or triangle guys who have no idea what a triangle even is. Especially harder to do from the bottom once they learn a bit.

I'm harping on about this because Eddie seems to trumpet this point of view every time I hear him speak.

Exactly: his view has not been vindicated - it's been disproven.
UFC in Brazil last week, with the record number of submissions: how many tenth planet techniques were used...?

It's just ridiculous to trumpet somebody as an innovator, all the while real innovators - who are churning out guys who use gi BJJ at the highest level - are not acknowledged.

...but at least you've got your purple belt Ari Bolden teaching 'the twister' on his YouTube, and getting kids to buy your DVDs, thinking BJJ is an endless procession of what Ryan Hall calls 'wacky crap'.

From the time Eddie talked about training No Gi compared to Gi for MMA, don't you think that Gi only training has gone down when preparing for MMA and No Gi comps?

You definitely see more No Gi training compared to back in the days, when BJJ focused fighters train for MMA I believe they do much more No Gi than Gi, or at least balance it out compared to back in the day

Even Roger said something about 80% of Gi training is useless for MMA or something, I can't remember the exact quote