Term limits on positions of power?

So I've always felt that there should be some type of limits on most positions that give people power over other people since it tends to corrupt a lot of people after a while. Usually it's talked about for politicians but what about for Cops and Judges? Part of me thinks a street cop should only be allowed as a patrol guy for 10 years then has to either go up to a detective or be on their way so they don't get too jaded and become the asshole that gets a story put on the OG for their precinct. Same thing with criminal judges or District Attorneys that start to just look at everyone as guilty... But there's the argument that you would be losing good people's expertise once their time is up....

So what say the OG? Are bigger dick cops the old Jaded ones who've seen it all heard it all? Or the rookie young ones who want to kick ass and take names later? Am I crazy to think cops should only be allowed to be patrolmen for about 10 years before needing to move on to another position? Phone Post 3.0

2 terms for Congress and one 6 yr for POTUS

Term limits are a double-edged sword. There are some valid pros, but there are also some valid cons (just a couple off the top of my head, there are more):

1) Term limits would kick out the good leaders who may deserve to stay in office for excellent work (and the persons who replace them could well be far inferior). They would shorten the careers of some of the best  legislators. People who have no history of corruption or political gamesmanship would be forced to leave along with the bad apples, regardless of their performance or merit.

2) Politicians who are in the last term of office are more likely to ignore the will of the people since they don't face the wrath of the electorate in the future. They would be beholden to no one.

There are already term limits in Congress, we just call them elections. Phone Post 3.0

RockTheVote - No term limits for president. Why wouldn't we want great leaders leading? But no consecutive terms. 1 - I don't like it when the president is campaigning instead of working. 2 - it takes a few years before you know whether policies work. You think Obama gets a second term with obamacare taking a shit with projected numbers today? Phone Post 3.0

This is why I think it should be one 6yr term. I takes almost a yr for a potus to get his cabinet fully going then two yrs later he's back into campaign mode. One 6yr term gives them a solid 5 yrs to concentrate on the job and not worry about reelection.

Sagiv Lapkin -

Term limits are a double-edged sword. There are some valid pros, but there are also some valid cons (just a couple off the top of my head, there are more):

1) Term limits would kick out the good leaders who may deserve to stay in office for excellent work (and the persons who replace them could well be far inferior). They would shorten the careers of some of the best  legislators. People who have no history of corruption or political gamesmanship would be forced to leave along with the bad apples, regardless of their performance or merit.

2) Politicians who are in the last term of office are more likely to ignore the will of the people since they don't face the wrath of the electorate in the future. They would be beholden to no one.

I guess that's what I'm always wondering. Would the loss of talent and good people outweigh the loss of innocent life when a cop kills someone or a Jaded judge or lawyer sends someone away for ever? Phone Post 3.0