Tesla prepared to move out of California

Tesla prepared to move out of California amid fight over factory shutdown, Musk tweets

PUBLISHED SAT, MAY 9 202012:58 PM EDTUPDATED MOMENTS AGO

• Elon Musk tweeted on Saturday that he is going to sue Alameda County and move future operations out of California after a dispute over whether the company can reopen its factory there.
  • Musk has been clashing with regulators over local shelter-in-place orders meant to slow the spread of Covid-19.

SpaceX owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk gestures during a conversation at the E3 gaming convention in Los Angeles, June 13, 2019.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Twitter Saturday that the company is preparing to file a lawsuit against Alameda County, and will move its headquarters and future operations out of California. 

On Friday, Alameda County’s interim public health officer, Dr. Erica Pan, said that health orders to contain a Covid-19 outbreak in the region are still in place, and that Tesla does not have a “green light,” to resume vehicle production at its main U.S. car plant in Fremont, California yet.

Tesla had wanted to start production again on Friday afternoon. The plant is where the company makes vehicles for Europe and North America.  

Unlike other automakers, Tesla’s employees are not part of a union, so it would be easier for the company to significantly alter its operations. 

Insulting Pan personally, Musk wrote on Twitter:

“Tesla is filing a lawsuit against Alameda County immediately. The unelected & ignorant ‘Interim Health Officer’ of Alameda is acting contrary to the Governor, the President, our Constitutional freedoms & just plain common sense!”

He also claimed that: “Tesla knows far more about what needs to be done to be safe through our Tesla China factory experience than an (unelected) interim junior official in Alameda County.” 

Previously, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO cursed and called Covid-19 health orders “fascist,” on a Tesla earnings call. He also erroneously stated that children are “essentially immune” to Covid-19, among other controversial tweets about the novel coronavirus and governments’ efforts to deal with the pandemic. 

Musk, who has a following of more than 33 million on Twitter, also encouraged shareholders to file a action lawsuit against the county. 

The SEC previously sued Tesla and Musk after the CEO tweeted that he would take the company private at $420 per share, and had funding secured. The agency said those tweets violated securities laws. As part of the eventual settlement between them, Musk agreed to have his Tesla communications reviewed by in-house counsel or some other so-called Twitter-sitter. It was not clear whether his Saturday tweets were approved by such a point person at Tesla

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/09/elon-musk-says-tesla-will-move-its-headquarters-amid-fremont-factory-shutdown-due-to-coronavirus.html

Good news for Texas:  More jobs

Bad news for Texas:  More braindead leftist voters imported from California

1 Like

Sandy Pantz - 

Exactly this! "Good for Texas, we have jobs" meanwhile the long game is absolutely utterly devastating and those effects can be seen already. Texans should smarten up and say fuck you, go somewhere else.

1 Like

I’m right behind you, Elon. Fuck this state. 

3 Likes

The left wing nuts you fear are all from silicon valley and hollywood. Musk has always been their opposition. 

1 Like

TFK_HossPearson -

Same here. I actually worked at that plant before it was Tesla. We built corollas and Tacoma's there. 

When I was younger the state was more evenly balanced, you had the local government more liberal (not the same liberals you see today) and the governor was usually republican or a more moderate democrat (other than Jerry Brown). Now this is a one party state and madness rules the day. 

boneless one -

The left wing nuts you fear are all from silicon valley and hollywood. Musk has always been their opposition. 

Elon named his kid "X ? A-12" and is raising it gender neutral.  I don't think he's voting Republican

You are all easy marks.  lol

Tesla isn't moving out of California.  Musk is using his leverage/crying in order to start production.  He wants special treatment, as usual.  Plus, he'll probably wrangle some additional tax breaks and subsidies out of it as well.

When you run a perpetually money-losing business, you need fresh capital to keep it running.  He'll get some additional cash from his sugar momma, California.

Speaking of fresh cash to burn, did you guys see that Tesla just borrowed another $565m from Chinese banks to fund the Shanghai plant?  On top of the $1.4b they borrowedd iin Jan.  For a plant that has already been built.  But has yet to show up in CapEx?

I guess it be like that sometimes...

Mark

3 Likes

Mark1 -

Tesla isn't moving out of California.  Musk is using his leverage/crying in order to start production.  He wants special treatment, as usual.  Plus, he'll probably wrangle some additional tax breaks and subsidies out of it as well.

When you run a perpetually money-losing business, you need fresh capital to keep it running.  He'll get some additional cash from his sugar momma, California.

Speaking of fresh cash to burn, did you guys see that Tesla just borrowed another $565m from Chinese banks to fund the Shanghai plant?  On top of the $1.4b they borrowedd iin Jan.  For a plant that has already been built.  But has yet to show up in CapEx?

Mark

Mark, while you're here, is Nikola a real company or no? 

https://nikolamotor.com/

boneless one -

This.

also Kai:

there was a study recently that pointed out that native Texans were voting democrat while your California imports escaping liberal retardism were the ones voting red.  And that makes sense to me considering I’m strongly considering moving out of LA, because fuck these liberal retards. 

1 Like

hopefully the shanghai plant is wired to explode and take most of the crap west of it (stupid thing is built too far out of pudong)

just some wishful thinking.

I don’t follow this closely but in OP the quote says that the health chief is acting contrary to the Governor, but I thought the Gov of CA was a big shelter in place proponent?

Sandy Pantz -
Mark1 -

Mark

I am heavily considering buying stock in some merger company that is going to have something to do with Nikola next month. The stock is currently $17. People are saying it’ll be like $34 pretty quickly when it happens. VTIQ is the ticker.  Lemme know if you have any insight please. 

KaiTangata -
Sandy Pantz - 

Exactly this! "Good for Texas, we have jobs" meanwhile the long game is absolutely utterly devastating and those effects can be seen already. Texans should smarten up and say fuck you, go somewhere else.

LOL. That would be the dumbest thing Texas could do. 

garythekid -
Sandy Pantz -
Mark1 -

Mark

I am heavily considering buying stock in some merger company that is going to have something to do with Nikola next month. The stock is currently $17. People are saying it’ll be like $34 pretty quickly when it happens. VTIQ is the ticker.  Lemme know if you have any insight please. 

I have no insight, but I am up 100% on the warrants and own a few shares too.  No idea if it'll be a good long term hold or not, but I think it'll definitely pump like SPCE did.  Going to be super volatile with 10-20% moves up or down I bet, so I wouldn't put in any money that would make you queasy to lose.

www.fourwheeler.com/news/nikola-ceo-trevor-milton-interview-truck-show-podcast-episode-118/

Sandy Pantz -
garythekid -
Sandy Pantz -
Mark1 -

Mark

I have no insight, but I am up 100% on the warrants and own a few shares too.  No idea if it'll be a good long term hold or not, but I think it'll definitely pump like SPCE did.  Going to be super volatile with 10-20% moves up or down I bet, so I wouldn't put in any money that would make you queasy to lose.

I would literally be dropping all of the money I play with in the markets lol. I’m a small fry and started like 2 months ago. So I’m talkin like 4-5K here. 

garythekid -
Sandy Pantz -
garythekid -
Sandy Pantz -
Mark1 -

Mark

I would literally be dropping all of the money I play with in the markets lol. I’m a small fry and started like 2 months ago. So I’m talkin like 4-5K here. 

I could absolutely be wrong, so don't take this as good advice, but I think it's likely we will at least double from here once the merger completes and more people learn about the company and FOMO.  In the meantime, we could easily go back down to 12 or 13 bucks.  You could always buy shares and if you double, sell half to preserve your capital and let the rest ride as "free" shares.  Good luck whatever you decide.  BTW I have zero understanding of car tech, battery tech, or hydrogen tech, so again, take my opinion for what it is, just some asshole on the OG, lol.  I am 100% in this for the hype and profited nicely on SPCE a few months back despite not really understanding shit, so YOLO?

1 Like

havomaster - 
TFK_HossPearson -

Same here. I actually worked at that plant before it was Tesla. We built corollas and Tacoma's there. 

When I was younger the state was more evenly balanced, you had the local government more liberal (not the same liberals you see today) and the governor was usually republican or a more moderate democrat (other than Jerry Brown). Now this is a one party state and madness rules the day. 

There was a great radio program about the Nummi plant. It said it was the worst plant in the country. People taking drugs, having sex, leaving critical parts out of cars. Then the Japanese took over the plant and streamed like the processes, fired the idiots.