Test out your music theory/history

1. When and where was rhythm first measured with definte time values and clearly defined meter? (extra bonus if you can list the very first type of meter)

2. What type of motion do we give a melody where the voices move away from each other?

3. Name one characteristic of rhythm in Baroque music.

"1. When and where was rhythm first measured with definte time values and clearly defined meter? (extra bonus if you can list the very first type of meter)"

I don't see anyone could possibly know this....? Is there an answer?

Yougottawanna, there's a definate answer. It's recorded just as well as any other history.

I don't think I can do this without cheating.

Don't give the answers yet, somebody else probably knows.

lol

Das, had I not looked this stuff up or learned it recently, I wouldn't have known it either ;)

These are tough ones that I do not have the answers for. The Baroque one is killing me, I feel I should know the answer and do not. Chief no one is responding I think you need to share your acquired knowledge with us :). Thanks....Joe

jcuff, ok :)

"1. When and where was rhythm first measured with definte time values and clearly defined meter? (extra bonus if you can list the very first type of meter)"

In the school of Notre Dame, around 1170-1200. The very first type of meter was a 6/8 type.

"2. What type of motion do we give a melody where the voices move away from each other?"

This would be contrary

"3. Name one characteristic of rhythm in Baroque music."

One characteristic would be that the rhythm is what convey's the mood in baroque-music. There is more emphasis in the beat then in previous musical styles, and the beat is driving.

OK, later I will have to think of some more questions.