Thanks Showtime!!!!

I guess you are right.

While I am @it I should familiarize myself w/the entire roster of the Canadian Football League and the International Hockey League.

I claim to like Hockey and Football yet I cant name ONE player in either one of those either.

I guess I am not a true fan of MMA,Hockey or Football.

smoogy - 
voorhees - Zuffa could replay Shamrock/Severn 2 and Rizzo/Randleman on Spike and it would beat that card in ratings even if it was on NBC.

You must've got lost on the way to the Nielson Rating Data message board and took a wrong turn to the UG. Who the fuck cares? Do you derive joy from reading ratings points and declaring "victory" for one corporation over the other?

If you're into the sport of MMA at all, you'll be happy to learn that Woodley, Kennedy and Cormier are all considered blue chip athletes in their respective weight classes. Longacre vs. Calanoc, Woodley vs. Light and Kennedy vs. Cummings are all relevant, competitive matches.

If you need more schooling, let me know.

Smoggy,I only said the Zuffa ratings thing because X called us,"paid Zuffa posters"

Hell,I would RATHER see a Showtime card beat a UFC card.

I am sure that the fighters you mentioned are top up and comers and I WILL watch the card.

I didnt mean to imply that because I didnt know who they were they dont matter in MMA.

Its just that these fighters will not garner in the attention Showtime needs to solidify its spot as a major player in televised MMA,and that(and only that)is why it is not a good card.

School me?

Not that IHL...

voorhees - I guess you are right.

While I am @it I should familiarize myself w/the entire roster of the Canadian Football League and the International Hockey League.

I claim to like Hockey and Football yet I cant name ONE player in either one of those either.

This is another misguided and pointless analogy, since MMA isn't a team sport and the UFC isn't a league with constituent owners. But let us pretend you have a point for a second:

Do you seek out threads on message boards about CFL and IHL and diss the level of competition without even watching any games? And try to mock their fans because NFL gets better ratings?

Of course not. That would be a total douchebag troll thing to do, right?

If you're expecting every ShoMMA card to be loaded with names you recognize, I don't think you've been keeping up much, because the platform is explicitly defined as a launching pad/proving ground for younger fighters, so they can be ready when they graduate to the main Strikeforce cards. Relative to those goals, this is a great fight card, even if you aren't up on how good some of these fighters are.

Strikeforce Challengers Returns To Fresno On November 6!

September 11, 2009

Undefeated Billy Evangelista Takes On Jorge Gurgel In Strikeforce Challengers Main Event;

Former Fresno State Wrestling Star Casey “The Underdog” Olson Returns To Action

Friday, November 6 from Save Mart Center in Fresno, CA;

Five-Fight Telecast Live on SHOWTIME® at 11 p.m. ET/PT

NEW YORK (September 11, 2009)—Undefeated lightweight (155-pound. limit) sensation Billy Evangelista (9-0) will square off with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Jorge Gurgel (13-5) in the main event when the STRIKEFORCE: Challengers mixed martial arts (MMA) series returns to Save Mart Center in Fresno, California on Friday, November 6. 

Former Fresno State University wrestling star and Fresno native Casey “The Underdog” Olson (11-3) will return to action in the cage in a lightweight (155 pounds) matchup against an opponent that has yet to be determined.

A special pre-sale ticket purchase opportunity will take place for “Strikeforce Insider” e-newsletter subscribers (www.strikeforce.com/signup.asp) beginning at 10 a.m. PT on Wednesday, September 16 and ending at midnight on Sunday, September 20. The special pre-sale passcode will be sent out to all subscribers on Monday, September 14.     .

In addition, all fans who purchase tickets during the pre-sale period and the first week of the public on-sale (9/16 – 9/27) will receive a 17” x 23” limited edition STRIKEFORCE collector’s poster that holds a $20 value.

Tickets for the Strikeforce Challengers event officially go on sale to the general public at 10 a.m. PT on Monday, September 21 at the Save Mart Center box office and select Save Mart Supermarkets as well as at all Ticketmaster locations (800-745-3000), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com) and Strikeforce’s official website (www.strikeforce.com).

The live SHOWTIME telecast, which will include as many as five bouts, will begin at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast).

Evangelista, a seasoned 28 year old Muay Thai striking machine who fights out of Fresno, will make his first appearance in the cage since he faced off with road warrior “Iron” Mike Aina in the main event of the inaugural STRIKEFORCE: Challengers event at SaveMart Center on May 15, 2009. 

The anticipated meeting between the two lightweights came to an anti-climactic end after Evangelista struck his opponent with a knee to the head while Aina was on one knee (striking a downed opponent to the head is illegal.) The bout was originally declared a disqualification in favor of Aina but, after an appeal was made by the Evangelista camp, the ruling was changed to a “no decision.”

Since making his STRIKEFORCE debut during the first-ever MMA event at the world famous Playboy Mansion in Beverly Hills, California where he earned a split judges’ decision over Clint Coronel on September 29, 2007, Evangelista has enjoyed continued success with the promotion over the course of three additional bouts. 

On October 3, 2008, Evangelista made his greatest stand to date against Luke “Lil’ Hulk” Caudillo at STRIKEFORCE: Payback held at Broomfield, Colorado’s Broomfield Event Center. After being dropped twice with punches in the first round, a determined Evangelista dug deep and battled back in the following two rounds to earn a unanimous decision. 

While Evangelista’s last effort may have ended prematurely, Gurgel’s last start, a matchup with rising star Conor “Hurricane” Heun on the STRIKEFORCE: Challengers card at Kent, Washington’s ShoWare Center on June 19, 2009, was a classic barnburner. After three rounds of non-stop, toe-to-toe exchanges, Gurgel emerged the winner by way of unanimous decision. 

His victory over Heun marked the 32-year-old Gurgel’s debut under the STRIKEFORCE banner. A member of Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter” season two cast whose relentless fighting style helped him earn two “Fight Of The Night” honors with UFC, Gurgel parted ways with the promotion late last year. 

Gurgel, a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Marcus Aurelio and a six-time Brazilian state champion in the grappling sport, has claimed 9 of his 13 victories by way of submission. Still, he has shown his penchant for striking, bringing fans to their feet repeatedly with his explosive Muay Thai combinations.

A native of Fortaleza, Brazil, Gurgel entered The United States as an exchange student during high school and later became a citizen here. He withdrew from his college studies just one semester shy of graduation to pursue a career as an MMA fighter and trainer. Recently, he opened a gym in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Olson, whose Fresno State University wrestling achievements include qualifying for the NCAA Division I national tournament and capturing the Northern California Regional Championship, is looking to rebound from a first round submission (guillotine choke) he suffered in his last start at the hands of Eddie Yagin on May 8, 2009.

His start on the card will be the second of Olson’s career in STRIKEFORCE. During the promotion’s first event at SaveMart Center on October 7, 2006, Olson submitted Bobby Sanchez in the first round (1:58) of their matchup.

SaveMart Center doors will open for the STRIKEFORCE: Challengers event at 5:15 p.m. PT. The first live, non-televised, preliminary bout will begin at 6 p.m.

Strikeforce Challengers is a proving ground for up-and-coming MMA fighters. The series is designed to provide today’s top prospects with the opportunity to step-up their level of competition and demonstrate their ability in a nationally televised event.

<!-- WIDTH: 701 -->

Its for up and comers/new talent,etc... the ShoXC cards had some very good fights, just like this one will

I will be watching and like Crowbar just posted another 1 next month, good stuff

also, not many come into MMA with the wrestling that Cormier is coming in with

Maybe after he losses 1 and wins 1 he will get a title shot...

JimmersonzGlove -  This card is on the same level as the previous ShoXC cards that Elite XC did. Those cards were always entertaining. Jared Hammond who just signed with the UFC is one of the prospects that was on those cards, and so was Eddie Alvarez before he entered the DREAM tourney.

Jeri Sitzes has been on TV several times in Chuck Norris's World Combat League, I knew I recongnized her name. I hope this fight gets televised, you know how the chickies always bring it .....  and Garv, you're right about Hammond, I was psyched when I saw the UFC saw fit to sign him. The guy is pretty good, at least the two times I saw him....   

JimmersonzGlove -  This card is on the same level as the previous ShoXC cards that Elite XC did. Those cards were always entertaining. Jared Hammond who just signed with the UFC is one of the prospects that was on those cards, and so was Eddie Alvarez before he entered the DREAM tourney.

Jeri Sitzes has been on TV several times in Chuck Norris's World Combat League, I knew I recongnized her name. I hope this fight gets televised, you know how the chickies always bring it .....  and Garv, you're right about Hammond, I was psyched when I saw the UFC saw fit to sign him. The guy is pretty good, at least the two times I saw him....   

It's a good card. People complain about ufn so it's expected for people to complain about this card.

Lacey Schuckman vs. Jeri Sitzes

wish it was on television!! this should be a great fight

smoogy - 
voorhees - I guess you are right.

This is another misguided and pointless analogy, since MMA isn't a team sport and the UFC isn't a league with constituent owners. But let us pretend you have a point for a second:

Do you seek out threads on message boards about CFL and IHL and diss the level of competition without even watching any games? And try to mock their fans because NFL gets better ratings?

Of course not. That would be a total douchebag troll thing to do, right?

If you're expecting every ShoMMA card to be loaded with names you recognize, I don't think you've been keeping up much, because the platform is explicitly defined as a launching pad/proving ground for younger fighters, so they can be ready when they graduate to the main Strikeforce cards. Relative to those goals, this is a great fight card, even if you aren't up on how good some of these fighters are.

I'm glad there are still a few people left willing to educate the ever growing number of simpleton mma fans who come on to message boards to parrot Dana White's meme's.

I guess all of you guys are just gonna ignore the 2nd post I said to smoggy,right?

+ 1

I wonder how many of you guys that are bitching at me are the same guys who are complaining about "how bad UFC 105 is"

voorhees - I wonder how many of you guys that are bitching at me are the same guys who are complaining about "how bad UFC 105 is"

Voorhees you should spend time learning about this "new" sport called mma.

You only know two fighters on the card(still shocked at that) and then hate on the fight card, bringing up Zuffa vs. the competition arguments.

CRE - word I love Showtime for real, got a serious love relationship with that channel.

I totally enjoy Bernstein, it's great knowing his perspective on MMA is a positive one, I think Frank Shamrock is the most knowledgeable commentary you get in the sport.

I love Showtime. Usually at least 1 live boxing and mma event per month.

Plus soon, Fedor vs. Rogers.

showtime = combat sports