That guy who only goes for leg locks

he's doing it because you're probably camping out on his collar or have no grip established (i.e. his hands are free to do what they want). get a strong sleeve grip(s) and collar grip on same side. i actually like to dominate the one side of the person. usually they are right side dominant so i'll control their right side. i then work the scissor sweep/armbar combo. i also have a very strong hook sweep so i'll sneak my right foot in some times and go for it.

dominating the one side AND aggressively pursuing something will force him to defend or go for a shitty foot lock to his left (your right). just keep in mind that's his only leg lock from there and be ready to ride the wave so to speak.

when dealing w/ someone who is a freakishly good leg lock person i will always switch to open guard and hide my feet in w/ hooks. coupled w/ a strong sweep game, it works for me.

i'm also very aware of the "snare", the part of the leg lock where he entangles your leg w/ his and is able to separate your body and arms from his leverage point. his goal is to isolate your foot/leg. he does this when he goes for the leg lock and ensnares/entangles your leg. his foot pushing to keep you at bay. i am aware of that and will use a combo of keeping my elbow in close to me and my knee.

sit on his ensnaring leg when he goes for this and sits back/falls back for the leg lock. if your sleeve and collar grip remain, pull yourself up to mount or side.

liquidrob - Like others have said, its a positive, always good to go against someone with a different style, will help your defense, a good leg lock guy can go after them from almost anywhere so it will keep you on your toes

Always strange though that leg locks are usually seen in a negative light, would there ever be threads about a guy who always goes for arm locks?

I think you answered the dilemma in the 1st statement.

It's looked at as cheap because it doesn't always follow the "position effort submission" rule. Same goes for things like wrist locks and I've even heard people call guillotines cheap.

I personally love all three of these. Phone Post

i think if you really focus on it, you'll notice you're not establishing a dominant grip/control on one side or the other and he's picking and choosing what to do.

and i don't mind the leg lockers.... i welcome it. it's usually an easy reversal because of my flexibility and scramble.

Leg locks are a good thing Phone Post

Baroquen Record - 
liquidrob - Like others have said, its a positive, always good to go against someone with a different style, will help your defense, a good leg lock guy can go after them from almost anywhere so it will keep you on your toes

Always strange though that leg locks are usually seen in a negative light, would there ever be threads about a guy who always goes for arm locks?

It's looked at as cheap because it doesn't always follow the "position effort submission" rule. Same goes for things like wrist locks and I've even heard people call guillotines cheap.

That would probably be the case if guys always just dropped back for a leg on top, but a good leg lock guy attack from guard, half, escapes from mount, etc...

A and B are rolling.

A is playing guard. B drops for footlock.

A defends footlock; passes guard.

A employs the get back strategy of "shoulder pressure".

B has gi imprints on face.

B cries.

dont the guys that go for leg locks all the time usually quit bjj before purple

best thing that could happen to u, its just a matter of time before you figure it out.

Is it annoying that he leg locks all the time or that you still some how can't defend it? Phone Post

I'd don't see the problem. I wish my school had more leg lockers. As it is I don't get many chances to work on my leg lock defense and I'm afraid this will eventually come back to bite me while competing.

BJJRoxy - 

There is a blue belt where I train who only goes for leg locks and it drives me insane. I am a purple belt and I know I need to defend and I do so, but when he does zero BJJ otherwise it hard to avoid these attacks when it's all he is trying to do. Anyone else know "that guy"....how to deal? Being a female it's hard to avoid getting caught by a stronger guy and it's gotten to the point where I have stuck my foot in his balls on many an occasion. Phone Post

use it to your advantage.. when he goes for them use it to pass or get on top. if you know the defenses to them u can capitalize on his one dimensional game.

liquidrob - 
Baroquen Record - 

That would probably be the case if guys always just dropped back for a leg on top, but a good leg lock guy attack from guard, half, escapes from mount, etc...

while this is true it is far from the norm. like i said i personally love leg locks and see them as just as respectable and technical of a submission as any other sub, but the fact that many people drop for leglocks instead of passing guard or grab for a toe hold from every which way has a lot to do with it being seen negatively, especially y old school "traditionalists" that believe in position first then submission..

then again they probably wouldnt approve of marcelo choking people from the back without hooks but he doesnt seem to have any problems doing it.

It's bullshit that knee bars are only allowed at brown. I personally think they should be allowed at purple. Phone Post

I love rolling with guys who go for leg locks, even if they submit me left and right. (As long as they don't crank it.) Makes my defense and escapes so much sharper.

Roll with him every chance you get, and close this hole in your game. That is the point in rolling.

You guys are right, thanks!! Phone Post

I asked Roy Harris this question on his forum.

His advice was to focus on keeping my forehead glued to my opponent's collarbone at all times, because that pretty much shuts down leg attacks.

The Gimp - I asked Roy Harris this question on his forum.

His advice was to focus on keeping my forehead glued to my opponent's collarbone at all times, because that pretty much shuts down leg attacks.

that was true until the explosion of the rubber guard ....i find that good posture when passing is the kryptonite for rubber guard...and hands off the mat and on the biceps.