That if the Ufc offers retirement

I Personally think that some fighters should be paid retirement and you know this goes back to unionizing MMA say for instance if you've done 10 years with the UFC organization then at an "active" 10 years they start giving you a $10,000 bonus check every year. but it starts at 10, now 15 years same thing 15 fifteen thousand dollars at the end of the year 20 years same thing to 20,000 that way no matter what at the end of the day if shit hits the fan and fighters become broke after fighting and now there at the point where they're selling their trophies online on ebay they're championship belts and all the stuff that's sad to look at. this way no matter what UFC fighters will always be taken care of the NFL does it my dad still receives an NFL check every month and the UFC says they want to be big like other big sports organizations. this is another step forward they started with Reebok, I think this is another way to move forward with building the UFC and take care of it fighters. this would help alot and is a step towards the UFC unionizing in its own way without being told what to do. I may get a lot of a downs but whatever its something that needs to be done, what are your guys take on it? Phone Post 3.0

You mean a pension? What a novel idea! There should be some way for all people to have something like this when they retire? Oh wait a minute!?!

People all the sudden become pro union when it affects their favorite fighter. Phone Post 3.0

scarfacedave - You mean a pension? What a novel idea! There should be some way for all people to have something like this when they retire? Oh wait a minute!?!

People all the sudden become pro union when it affects their favorite fighter. Phone Post 3.0

People all of a sudden become pro union when it is a good fucking idea for fighters.

They have a 10 year shelf life in a sport that doesn't pay great, and the fighters have zero bargaining power.

Knockoutimus - Na, they're contractors. Hire a financial manager and manage your shit like a grown ass man.

Don't be begging the UFC for more handouts, holy fuck. Phone Post 3.0
Hard to manage $80,000 after taxes and gym fees and management fees becomes closer to $40,000. That money won't last you very long. I'm not in favor of giving these guys a pension. I'm not saying they don't deserve it but how about you just pay them fairly to start. $12,000/$12,000 is still pretty low Phone Post 3.0

Very, very few fighters will be with the UFC for 10 years. Like 3% or something.

I think a better way to do this would be to say, have it be done by fight. I also don't think the UFC is at the point where they can afford a full retirement package yet, but giving fighters _something_ for when they're in their older years is something that I think eventually needs to happen if they ever approach the major team sports.

This is what I'd propose, and it's merely a Starting Point:

-Fighters are eligible for a pension after 12 fights, and are paid according to the number of fights they have.

-Pensions start at the age of 55, although they must be retired from professional MMA for at least 18 months for the pension to activate, so whichever comes later. If they unretire after the pension has started, well, they're idiots, but they can still keep the pension.

-Fighters are paid $500-per-fight-per-year, paid in quarterly installments (so a minimum $6000 annual pension). This goes up to $600-per-fight-per-year at the age of 70 (or a minimum of $7200 a year).

-Fights are for all Zuffa fights. However this also means that UFC fights under Sephamore Entertainment Group are not applicable.

-Fights where a fighter failed an in-competition drug test, either for PEDs or drugs-of-abuse, are not applicable towards the pension or the 12-fight minimum to establish the pension, with the exception of the first failed marijuana test (because come-the-fuck-on).

-Fighters may also lose their pension if they are fired from the UFC for gross misconduct.

-Pensions are transferable to a designated next-of-kin or for 10 years after death. The 10-year pension for the designated heir also kicks in immediately if a fighter dies prior to the age of 55. This is separate from the life insurance that  fighters have while under active contract with Zuffa.

Again, this is just a starting point and could go up over time, depending on the growth of the sport. I'm not actually sure the sport is _quite_ at the level for even this, but it's not implausible.

Knockoutimus - 
shaqitup -
scarfacedave - You mean a pension? What a novel idea! There should be some way for all people to have something like this when they retire? Oh wait a minute!?!

People all of a sudden become pro union when it is a good fucking idea for fighters.

They have a 10 year shelf life in a sport that doesn't pay great, and the fighters have zero bargaining power.
They know what they're getting into. They could get an education throughout their 10 year career and join the regular working force at the young age of early 30's

So many hippies wanting these guys to be handed everything. They're paid to get into a cage and fight for a few minutes, less than a half hour per fight. They get to travel the world and live a dream life for a decade, with opportunities to make a lot of money relative to your average North American worker. Phone Post 3.0

So you made some bad points?

cool.

Knockoutimus -
shaqitup -

They know what they're getting into. They could get an education throughout their 10 year career and join the regular working force at the young age of early 30's

So many hippies wanting these guys to be handed everything. They're paid to get into a cage and fight for a few minutes, less than a half hour per fight. They get to travel the world and live a dream life for a decade, with opportunities to make a lot of money relative to your average North American worker. Phone Post 3.0
Right, they just step into the cage and fight for 15 minutes? There is a lot more preparation than you realize and getting proper training costs quite a bit of money. Also, quality training is usually areas that are expensive to live in Phone Post 3.0

Knockoutimus - Na, they're contractors. Hire a financial manager and manage your shit like a grown ass man.

Hi Dana. Still bald? Still cunty? Phone Post 3.0

This. 401k.com. It's not that hard Phone Post 3.0

failure at life -
Knockoutimus -
shaqitup -

Right, they just step into the cage and fight for 15 minutes? There is a lot more preparation than you realize and getting proper training costs quite a bit of money. Also, quality training is usually areas that are expensive to live in Phone Post 3.0
I call bullshit. Like he said, work part time and train. Twenty minutes from Vegas is super cheap real estate Phone Post 3.0

TKD LOL -
failure at life -
Knockoutimus -
shaqitup -

I call bullshit. Like he said, work part time and train. Twenty minutes from Vegas is super cheap real estate Phone Post 3.0
Vegas is cheap but every where else is expensive. Nor Cal, SoCal, OC, NY, NJ, are all very expensive Phone Post 3.0

Knockoutimus - Na, they're contractors. Hire a financial manager and manage your shit like a grown ass man.

Exactly. Cool it with the handouts for fucks sake.

shaqitup - 

So go be a fucking Dr. or a lawyer then.

Chromium - 

Very, very few fighters will be with the UFC for 10 years. Like 3% or something.

I think a better way to do this would be to say, have it be done by fight. I also don't think the UFC is at the point where they can afford a full retirement package yet, but giving fighters something for when they're in their older years is something that I think eventually needs to happen if they ever approach the major team sports.

This is what I'd propose, and it's merely a Starting Point:

-Fighters are eligible for a pension after 12 fights, and are paid according to the number of fights they have.

-Pensions start at the age of 55, although they must be retired from professional MMA for at least 18 months for the pension to activate, so whichever comes later. If they unretire after the pension has started, well, they're idiots, but they can still keep the pension.

-Fighters are paid $500-per-fight-per-year, paid in quarterly installments (so a minimum $6000 annual pension). This goes up to $600-per-fight-per-year at the age of 70 (or a minimum of $7200 a year).

-Fights are for all Zuffa fights. However this also means that UFC fights under Sephamore Entertainment Group are not applicable.

-Fights where a fighter failed an in-competition drug test, either for PEDs or drugs-of-abuse, are not applicable towards the pension or the 12-fight minimum to establish the pension, with the exception of the first failed marijuana test (because come-the-fuck-on).

-Fighters may also lose their pension if they are fired from the UFC for gross misconduct.

-Pensions are transferable to a designated next-of-kin or for 10 years after death. The 10-year pension for the designated heir also kicks in immediately if a fighter dies prior to the age of 55. This is separate from the life insurance that  fighters have while under active contract with Zuffa.

Again, this is just a starting point and could go up over time, depending on the growth of the sport. I'm not actually sure the sport is quite at the level for even this, but it's not implausible.

I disagree completely with this. The fighters are independent contractors. Setting up a defined benefit plan so you get $6000 per year for life (and an additional 10 years for your spouse) because you fought in the UFC 12 times is totally unrealistic.

On the other hand, why not negotiate for a dollar for dollar contribution to a 401k plan of the fighters choice for upto 15% of the fighters purse? With 10 fights the fighter becomes 100% vested. When the fighter is cut or retires he takes that money with him/her.

No different than 75% of other American businesses.

What is Bellator/Viacom doing for their fighters? Are they offering health insurance or doing anything for fighters long after they retire or leave the organization?

^^ Dollar for Dollar match with the fighter up to 15%.

Knockoutimus -
Nicktheissue265 -

Hi Dana. Still bald? Still cunty? Phone Post 3.0
Na I am a roofer.. I put roofs over peoples heads and work 10 hour days 5-6 days a week... It's tough and I don't make a lot of money but I got this person at the bank called a financial manager and I low n behold I am able to live an average middle class life while putting away 75$ a week into a literal fund account. Compound interest sorta works and now that I am 31 years old, I am thinking about building my own business so I don't have to be the guy on the roof anymore, instead I'll be the guy going to hones giving estimates and dispatching workers.

You see, hard work with half ass management will work. These guys are treated like incompetent children by many of you fans. I'll train for 5 hours a day and fight 3 times a year for 40k if I could. I would also supplement that work load with another part time job. Fuck man there are so many ways to make that life style work to your benefit. This isn't a fucking hold your hand and stroke your cock society, it's the real world. Phone Post 3.0
I actually really do appologize man. It sounds like you're super good with your money and a very hard worker unlike BLAF Phone Post 3.0

Affliction Boy -
I disagree completely with this. The fighters are independent contractors. Setting up a defined benefit plan so you get $6000 per year for life (and an additional 10 years for your spouse) because you fought in the UFC 12 times is totally unrealistic.

On the other hand, why not negotiate for a dollar for dollar contribution to a 401k plan of the fighters choice for upto 15% of the fighters purse? With 10 fights the fighter becomes 100% vested. When the fighter is cut or retires he takes that money with him/her.

Kk, fair enough. I suppose I was inspired by the MLB pension plan minus the additional 401k they do, but a regular 401k would be more realistic at this stage I suppose. I would maintain that when fighters get busted for PEDs in-competition, that that fight shouldn't count towards the 10-fight threshold you propose.

Affliction Boy -
What is Bellator/Viacom doing for their fighters? Are they offering health insurance or doing anything for fighters long after they retire or leave the organization?

To my knowledge, the UFC was the first and only organization to offer out-of-competition health insurance of any kind. Mainly because it's really fucking difficult to get a health insurer on board with combat sports, and even the UFC only has accident insurance + dental (the accident insurance also has a $5000 annual deductible or something like that, which is really harsh). I'm also 99% sure that neither Bellator nor any other promotion offers retirement benefits.

I'll add that if the UFC offers pension benefits of any kind, that will go a looooong way towards mending fences with the elite fighter base and keeping Bellator from picking off people. That's kind of important considering how badly Zuffa's image has hemmorrhaged lately. It would also throw a bone to disgruntled hardcore nerds like us who take a vested interest in the fighters.

Chromium - 
Affliction Boy -

Kk, fair enough. I suppose I was inspired by the MLB pension plan minus the additional 401k they do, but a regular 401k would be more realistic at this stage I suppose. I would maintain that when fighters get busted for PEDs in-competition, that that fight shouldn't count towards the 10-fight threshold you propose.

Affliction Boy -

To my knowledge, the UFC was the first and only organization to offer out-of-competition health insurance of any kind. Mainly because it's really fucking difficult to get a health insurer on board with combat sports, and even the UFC only has accident insurance + dental (the accident insurance also has a $5000 annual deductible or something like that, which is really harsh). I'm also 99% sure that neither Bellator nor any other promotion offers retirement benefits.

I'll add that if the UFC offers pension benefits of any kind, that will go a looooong way towards mending fences with the elite fighter base and keeping Bellator from picking off people. That's kind of important considering how badly Zuffa's image has hemmorrhaged lately. It would also throw a bone to disgruntled hardcore nerds like us who take a vested interest in the fighters.

In all honesty, you're one of the more intelligent posters on this forum.