The advice from Smith’s corner

Was not really advice at all, and was beyond frustrating to hear. I know that Mark Montoya is a well respected coach and I’m sure he’s great, it also doesn’t help that it might be difficult to strategize against what JJ was doing. 

It just frustrated the life out of me that his corner repeated “bite down on the mouthpiece” and “be offensive!” with zero tactical or strategical advice whatsoever. I don’t think it was a lack of will, Anthony really just didn’t know what to do to create effective offense. 

I’m not saying he would have won the fight, it’s just clear the issue was that JJ limited his weapons and had no way of dealing with it. 

it didnt matter what advice they could have given him.  he didnt fight to to win or try to win.  he just wanted to survive.

Both he and woodley needed Nate quarry in there

buddyang -

it didnt matter what advice they could have given him.  he didnt fight to to win or try to win.  he just wanted to survive.

Right I get that, I just would have liked to have heard anything remotely helpful on how he might get the job done. Clearly he didn’t have it figured out. If you’ve ever been failing at something that’s confusing you and somebody advises you to “just go do it” or something to that effect without saying how, you’ll know it’s not super helpful. 

Someone else said it in the fight thread, but they really needed Teddy Atlas in there to cut through the fog. No one better at motivating a fighter between rounds who isn't performing.

It wouldn’t have mattered what their advice to him was though, he clearly wasn’t executing it anyway. He froze and admitted as much in the presser.

Jones right nostril - It wouldn't have mattered what their advice to him was though, he clearly wasn't executing it anyway. He froze and admitted as much in the presser.

Yeah, they didn't start the mouthpiece attack stuff till the 3rd.

No biggie, he survived all 5 and should be better for it

Jones right nostril - It wouldn't have mattered what their advice to him was though, he clearly wasn't executing it anyway. He froze and admitted as much in the presser.

You’re missing the point. I get that part. When a fighter is lost and confused mounting very little offense, that is literally the time they need strategic advice the most. Obviously they need to be motivated and know they’re still in the fight, but Smith needed some guidance on what he should do. 

What you’re saying is essentially the same as saying “well they shouldn’t give him good strategic advice because there’s not a chance he would have executed it, but he didn’t have the chance to execute it because he didn’t receive it”. That’s nonsense. It’s like if my son was struggling with a situation in life and I was just like “yeah just do it kid, you got it, you’ve been through adversity before” and offered zero advice on how to actually deal with it. Then if he asked why I didn’t give advice, i would say “well you were clearly having trouble already and a little lost, so why would I give you advice that you wouldn’t execute anyways?”

Maybe now it’s clear how dumb that really sounds.  

Flyers179 - Someone said it else in the fight thread, but they really need Teddy Atlas in there to cut through the fog. No one better at motivating a fighter between rounds who isn't performing.

This. And I’m not taking away from his coaches at all, because they are bad ass at what they do. Highly respected gym. I also understand that all fighters respond differently, and sometimes just can’t pull the trigger. Tis the human condition. However it just bothers me that not a single piece of tactical information was given. 

They clearly developed a game plan ahead of time and Mark studied JJ in depth, yet in between rounds there were no suggestions on how to deal with the reach, counter the kicks, the parrying, etc... I also understand coaches and fighters have different relationships and maybe “be offensive” is what Smith needdd to know... but it felt inadequate. 

MasterofMartialArts - 

Was not really advice at all, and was beyond frustrating to hear. I know that Mark Montoya is a well respected coach and I’m sure he’s great, it also doesn’t help that it might be difficult to strategize against what JJ was doing. 

It just frustrated the life out of me that his corner repeated “bite down on the mouthpiece” and “be offensive!” with zero tactical or strategical advice whatsoever. I don’t think it was a lack of will, Anthony really just didn’t know what to do to create effective offense. 

I’m not saying he would have won the fight, it’s just clear the issue was that JJ limited his weapons and had no way of dealing with it. 

Once I heard that my heart sunk because it was obvious Montoya was out of his depth. I felt really bad for Anthony.

Edmund gives better corner advice.

I'm sorry, that was harsh. I don't mean that.

when your fighter isnt there to win theres only so much you can say to make them want to get punched in the head worse then they have been.

Smith's corner wanted it more than their fighter, and I could almost say the same about Woodley's corner in the co-main. 

was shit

RightHandOfDOOM - 

when your fighter isnt there to win theres only so much you can say to make them want to get punched in the head worse then they have been.

If Anthony was more offensive, I think he would have been hit a lot less tbh.

Flyers179 -
RightHandOfDOOM - 

If Anthony was more offensive, I think he would have been hit a lot less tbh.

. He sat there like a punching bag begging to be hit. Acted like a kid getting bullied at school afraid to swing back…smh You can’t win if you don’t give yourself a chance…

yea his corner wasn't much help at all. He stood there with his hands covering his head, I'm like, wtf. A shame, when he moved forward he was hitting him with some punches but he looked totally lost and defeated after the first round started. Was never there. 

"Find your why!"

Tony Robbins should have cornered him.

Flyers179 - Someone said it else in the fight thread, but they really need Teddy Atlas in there to cut through the fog. No one better at motivating a fighter between rounds who isn't performing.

Well that's just because his voice is so damn unbearable lol

Find your reason