The answer to everything...

Canuck - you are I think both right and wrong. In my post I do point out that diet and exercise are important tools, and on a basic level do work.

BUT - if you take 100 seriously overweight people and put 50 on a diet regime and give 50 surgery, and go away for 12 months, when you come back more of the surgery group will have lost weight and maintained that lost.

Honestly, 'eat less exercise more' is as helpful as saying 'stop smoking crack' - factually correct, but there aren't many morbidly obese people who don't know they are eating themselves to death.

I'm really not sure what the antipathy to surgery is. The clinical outcome is so much better than the alternatives, that once someone is morbidly obese it is a very valid tool to solve the problem. If you feel it lacks some sort of moral high ground, I'd like to understand what that is.

""Diet and exercise alone have a really poor success rate.""

I think what he means is that the prescription for diet and excercise is rarely successful, because so few people can keep up with it.

Failing (at anything) is just a product of not wanting something truly bad enough.

You totally lost me with this one. Ridiculous.

OK I will ammend, failing at something you physically can control. If I fail in my quest to be the next Met-Rx world strongest man winner I wouldnt really say at 5'9" 172 I had much control over that one.

But I found, at nearly 400lbs, that willpower alone could NOT stop me over eating. I would try, and keep to a clean diet, and then have an uncontrollable urge to stuff myself.

I still say in your spot that if even having a son and a wife to care for (and want to live a long healthy life for) couldn't make you not binge then there is/was something else underlying causing a void that you felt the need to fill with food...just curious tho did you discover what the void was...if not i could probably tell you

Maybe I'm not facing my problems, but I genuinely feel that losing weight has improved my mental health - certainly my mood is stabilised and I feel more positive.

I know drug withdrawl can be very bad sometimes but i odubt it could be that bad with alcohol. I have heard the drink some each day idea tho and I think that was more for to keep you from binging by having a beer each day

Only way to be truly healthy is to live a healthy lifestyle. Genetics may mean the difference between having a 6 pack or a 30 inch verticle, but anyone can be healthy and at a decent weight with a good clean diet and regular exercise.

Thank You, and having a 6pk and a 30 in vert or a sub 11 100m doesnt make one healthy, but yes anyone can be healthy and be of right weight with the right diet

""Diet and exercise alone have a really poor success rate.""

I think what he means is that the prescription for diet and excercise is rarely successful, because so few people can keep up with it.

Again we don't agree on much but this one was a sock loaded with a cue ball of correctness and smacked upside my head

My big grips against surgery is while it may force you into a physical correction. Obesity is a mental/emotional problem. It does nothing to correct what in your mind and heart got you to being 150lbs overweight.

Atecexa - I think we are nearly on the same wavelength here :-)

"My big grips against surgery is while it may force you into a physical correction. Obesity is a mental/emotional problem. It does nothing to correct what in your mind and heart got you to being 150lbs overweight"

True, but I think, in my case, the surgery is helping me face the problems. My self esteem is raised, my confidence and energy levels are up, and I'm tackling all sorts of things I wouldn't have a while back. Like I say it's chicken and egg - can you start to feel better about yourself so you can lose weight? Or do you have to lose some of the weight to feel better about yourself? For me the latter seems to be an upward spiral, a kick start if you like. I still have to train and watch what I eat, but success breeds success.

Atecexa, did you see my more recent post? Please have a look and revisit the question. Thanks!

look good feel good

feel good and you may not look good but you still feel good

ultimately tho if you do not feel good about yourself you can be fat or thin and still not feel good about yourself. it's not just fat people that dont feel good about themselves and theres plenty of fat people who love eating, love being fat and love themselves.

what was your relationship like with your parents? what are your siblings like?

OK, I guess you'll ignore it. That's fine.

"what was your relationship like with your parents? what are your siblings like?"

What was yours like? :-)

I'm not going to undergo pop psychology on a public forum.

In fact I think I have said what I want to here. There is plenty of information out there for those who wish to find out more.