the anti Bullying age.

You know there's this huge campaign to stop bullying and vilify it etc. Seems like every damn champ comes out and days I was bullied. Must be good for something.

I'm not advocating it, I just think the anti bullying shit is nonsense. Of course it's wrong. Of course it's not right. But it makes people stronger. It sure did for me. Phone Post 3.0

Bullying is never going to stop. I think the kid that DOESN'T get bullied is gonna be a weird dude. Phone Post 3.0

I think that treating the weak poorly doesn't always lead to mental and physical growth, rather damages more than it helps in the long-term. I'm no bleeding heart lefty but bullying sucks, and people shouldn't be treated like shit unless they do so to others. We aren't mere animals anymore, we are intelligent beings who should aspire to a higher standard of life. The anti-bullying campaign shows advancement of our species and I applaud whomever makes it their quest to get rid of it

you can't solve it by getting rid of the bullies, we've tried. Why not try getting rid of the nerdy kids instead? And how do we do that? More bullying.

I will also say that self-defense and hand-to-hand combat training should be required of all children. There will be less bullying when it becomes a fruitless exercise.

Kim Jong Uno - I will also say that self-defense and hand-to-hand combat training should be required of all children. There will be less bullying when it becomes a fruitless exercise.
This, gracie bulletproof for the win. Phone Post 3.0

The ones you need to worry about are the kids that weren't bullied, had no friends, and no one ever paid any attention to them (even negative attention).

The thing about this bullying non sense is that basically everyone could say in some way they were bullied. It really only receives any sort of attention if the person is gay or their looking to blame a suicide or murder on something. Phone Post 3.0

Buffer720 - You know there's this huge campaign to stop bullying and vilify it etc. Seems like every damn champ comes out and days I was bullied. Must be good for something.

I'm not advocating it, I just think the anti bullying shit is nonsense. Of course it's wrong. Of course it's not right. But it makes people stronger. It sure did for me. Phone Post 3.0
For sure I've been saying this Forever Phone Post 3.0

Maybe it helps the bully Phone Post 3.0

Kids should be taught self defence from a young age. Zero tolerance policies are absurd and do nothing but hurt the victims.

I know if I have a kid they're learning empathy, but they're also learning to hit back and not hesitate if someone threatens them.

The bullying that I have read about these days isn't the bullying that I experienced growing up in the 80's-90's. It isn't so much physical as a kid or group of kids running a cyber smear campaign against another. Some of these poor kids think they have their life ruined, and end up killing themselves. It's terrible shit from what I can see, they literally have mental breakdowns.

If it was as simple as a punch to the stomach, I bet it wouldn't be as much of an issue and brought to a National level. Times are changing. Things are changing. Kids, still suck.

FAR more lives are destroyed by bullying than are actually "helped" by it.

This thread is a joke.

Buffer720 - You know there's this huge campaign to stop bullying and vilify it etc. Seems like every damn champ comes out and days I was bullied. Must be good for something.

If by stronger you mean it made you angry and aggressive, then yes, it made you stronger.

I hope you're really not advocating that schools, public figures, parents, law enforcement and community members stop organizing and educating kids to be more peaceful, polite and kind to one another. That would certainly make a strong case for how the bullying you faced ruined you. Essentially making you one of those "I went through it, so you should to" kind of people, which is not only the opposite of strength but closely resembling resentfulness and negativity.

Bullying makes thousands of kids commit suicide, run away from home, drop out of school, become bullies themselves, abuse their spouses and children when they grow up, and depressed. It can fester and make people unemployable, violent, mistrustful, and passive aggressive. It can be passed down for generations as self deprecation or arrogance and deference. It can make people super withdrawn or ridiculous attention whores.

Bullying is fucked up. And it's every adults job to protect children who might be victims and stop/punish/rehabilitate children who are bullies.

There's a hidden cost too. These problems Ive listed - they get passed on to taxpayers in the form of mental health costs, crime/incarceration, fractured communities, etc.

Oh, I don't want to get too logical...or deep. I mean you seem really pleasant and kindhearted, so bullying obviously helped you. Fuck the rest of the kids in the world. smh.

upaloompa - Kids should be taught self defence from a young age. Zero tolerance policies are absurd and do nothing but hurt the victims.

I know if I have a kid they're learning empathy, but they're also learning to hit back and not hesitate if someone threatens them.

After enduring some continuous bullying the last couple of years, I've told my son many times that he can hit any kid that hits him. Let me worry about the school and the other kid's parents. He recently shoved a kid that had been bothering him for months, let kicked the shit out of him when he fell. As instructed, he leaned in and said "and if you tell anyone about this, there's more to come." Mr. Tough Kid suddenly became a quivering sack of shit.

We've got a couple of bigger kids for him to straighten out, but bit by bit. As a parent, I'm tired of schools and parents acting like the victim has to take weeks and months of shoves, jokes, pranks etc. And I pay for private school for my son, so I'm definitely over this zero tolerance bullshit.

That's the way Authority, getting hit once is enough to justify hitting back, that way it doesn't become twice. It doesn't matter if you win every time, what matters is you make them understand that they're going to have to fight you every single time they try something. Most kids won't think it's worth it.

As someone whose super progressive about most other things, zero tolerance policies are designed by pussy liberals living in an imaginary bubble where their system does anything other than make the beatings worse. Indefensible and ass backwards.

I don't know that zero tolerance can be attributed to liberals, as much as people who leary of lawsuits and more concerned about their jobs than children. That being said, there are just as many conservative politicians and school administrators at the local level that support it as liberal ones.

The problem is the same at all levels.

• Teachers would prefer to get through the day and that means ignoring the needs of individual children.
  • Principals and Superintendents don't want a papertrail that fucks with their reputation.
  • Politicians want to stay out of the news.
  • Parents don't give a fuck unless its happening to their kids.
  • Community members don't give a fuck unless the kids are bullying them.
  • People without kids don't give a fuck unless their tax dollars are need for a solution.
  • Entertainment and media types don't care because reinforcing stereotypes sells movies and music, teaching kids while they are young impulate CHARACTERS of fiction and teaching others kids to be victims.
  • Clergy and community leaders don't care unless the press is going to cover them.
  • The press doesn't care unless someone gets hospitalized or killed-so they can blame one or all of the above figures.
Meanwhile everyone is figure pointing or blaming on a political view. When in truth the real problem is that as a whole society doesn't give a fuck about children. Dare I say, we care more about our pets than we do about children collectively. Think about it, when was the last time a teacher was prosecuted for letting bullying slide in her/his class and the victim or the bully got hurt as a result. Never. Now, why is that?

Authority Figure - 

I don't know that zero tolerance can be attributed to liberals, as much as people who leary of lawsuits and more concerned about their jobs than children. That being said, there are just as many conservative politicians and school administrators at the local level that support it as liberal ones.

The problem is the same at all levels.

• Teachers would prefer to get through the day and that means ignoring the needs of individual children.

• Principals and Superintendents don't want a papertrail that fucks with their reputation.

• Politicians want to stay out of the news.

• Parents don't give a fuck unless its happening to their kids.

• Community members don't give a fuck unless the kids are bullying them.

• People without kids don't give a fuck unless their tax dollars are need for a solution.

• Entertainment and media types don't care because reinforcing stereotypes sells movies and music, teaching kids while they are young impulate CHARACTERS of fiction and teaching others kids to be victims.

• Clergy and community leaders don't care unless the press is going to cover them.

• The press doesn't care unless someone gets hospitalized or killed-so they can blame one or all of the above figures.

Meanwhile everyone is figure pointing or blaming on a political view. When in truth the real problem is that as a whole society doesn't give a fuck about children. Dare I say, we care more about our pets than we do about children collectively. Think about it, when was the last time a teacher was prosecuted for letting bullying slide in her/his class and the victim or the bully got hurt as a result. Never. Now, why is that?

Very good points, again I'm a canadian social-democrat so I said it a little self loathingly. I tried to pin it on the "violence is always bad" crowd but that's a real minority.

Truth is it's easy to pin it on partisans we may not like, but like most things there are usually bureaucratic and systemic problems that have little to do with ideology, good post.

Also, it explains that much more so why parents need to look out for their kids.

As a teacher, I can confirm that anti-bullying campaigns have had a huge impact on the overall culture of schools. I teach at a middle school, and the difference from now to when I was in middle school(early 90s) is enormous.

-when I was in school I would see 1-2 fist-fights per month. I would guess we have 1-2 per year now.

-when I was in school any non-jock was instantly put on the defensive. Now, the two most popular cliques are the basketball players and the drama kids.

-Our school counselors report that the biggest causes of stress and pain are parents. When I was a kid the biggest sources of pain were peer groups.

Overall, middle school is completely different than it was 20 years ago. Aside from random cases of cyber-bullying, the culture is way more inclusive. Not perfect, but getting there.

The supposed benefits of people who are bullied and stand up for themselves are negligible and in most cases imaginary. I love the anti-bullying campaigns.