The Argument for BJ Penn as GOAT

It is safe to say that in the last week or so there has been an abundance of GOAT lists floating around the UG, obviously the main reason for this is the recent positive test for the legendary Anderson Silva.

My only issue with these discussions though has been the alum of phenomenal fighters that are given as 'options' for GOAT, typically we're seeing; Fedor, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and GSP.

OBVIOUSLY these are all incredible fighters, they crossed the boundaries of what is possible in MMA and their legacies (Especially for the retired/almost retired) will remain almost mythical as time passes....So then whats the issue? the issue is the lack BJ FUCKING PENN.

So here's my main points in favor of BJ beating at least 2 of these fighters in the GOAT list:

1: Zero PED's! Jon's suspect, Anderson's guilty, GSP has a TMNT body and Pride told their fighters they weren't testing.

2) Expected to fight above his weight far more than Silva, GSP or Jon: D'you wanna know what Silva vs Jones would have looked like? watch GSP vs Penn 2.

3) Record against HIS weight class 11 - 3. yeah go look at BJ's losses he didn't lose much when he wasn't being forced to fight giant lab rats or having his weight class cut like it had lost it's last 3 fights

4) Record against the best ever: 2-1 with Hughes, 1-1 with GSP (Don't start)

5) His Weight class finish rate 10 out of 11 wins were finished (all UFC) better than Georges UFC finishes: 8 out of 20.

So can I here the arguments back? btw my list is:

1) BJ Penn

2) Fedor

3) Anderson (innocent until after hearings and shit)

4) GSP

5) Jones

Agreed Phone Post

BJ is possibly missing one major thing- has he ever fought through adversity? (I honestly dont remember, I dont recall all his fights). How often was he losing a fight/getting beat up, where he was able to rally, dig deep, and come back to win? If he couldnt win troublesome fights and find a way to win, it would be hard to consider him one of the GOAT.

And you are the one starting by stating he is 1-1 vs GSP. He is 0-2 vs GSP.

eXtv - 

Good point well argued.

He's in the discussion that's for sure. I think you argue Jones, BJ, GSP.

I think you sadly have to remove Anderson from the GOAT talk after hi positive test. All his wins have an asterisk. That's just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

William C - BJ is possibly missing one major thing- has he ever fought through adversity? (I honestly dont remember, I dont recall all his fights). How often was he losing a fight/getting beat up, where he was able to rally, dig deep, and come back to win? If he couldnt win troublesome fights and find a way to win, it would be hard to consider him one of the GOAT.

And you are the one starting by stating he is 1-1 vs GSP. He is 0-2 vs GSP.

BJ won the first fight with George to anyone who isn't into tight shorts. In terms of fighting through adversity? Nah not really it's a good point but other than the 3 losses he made everyone else look bad.

0/10

Dom Hemingway - He's in the discussion that's for sure. I think you argue Jones, BJ, GSP.

I think you sadly have to remove Anderson from the GOAT talk after hi positive test. All his wins have an asterisk. That's just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0

The only reason I didn't remove Anderson is because I genuinely believe that George and Fedor played with PEDs as well.

comeonman1 - 

0/10

14ers don't get to rate threads.

BJ is definitely a great fighter but also definitely NOT GOAT. Conor McGregor is GOAT

BrandonWaltonMusic - 
comeonman1 - 

0/10

Damn if only I signed up 6 months before I could have started at same time as you, could I rate threads then?

This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

comeonman1 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic - 
comeonman1 - 

0/10

Damn if only I signed up 6 months before I could have started at same time as you, could I rate threads then?

Sure.

Since93 - This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

Nice contribution.

OP lost me when he left off Aldo.

BrandonWaltonMusic -
Since93 - This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

Nice contribution.
I honestly think the subject is too stupid to comment on. Not getting busted for PEDs is a goat factor? Dumb.

Fighting fat is a good thing? Losing to jens pulver, Frankie 2xs, and drawing with uno, all in your prime is goat material? Phone Post 3.0

Bj isn't top 5, he hasnt done anything compared to Fedor, GSP OR anderson Phone Post 3.0

Even with my massive respect for BJ, OP is drivel

.. Is a horrible one Phone Post 3.0