The Argument for BJ Penn as GOAT

BJ is one of the greatest of all time. It's my opinion that it's way too early in this sport to say who is the greatest of all time, unequivocally at least.

If I had to choose the greatest to date? Fedor or GSP.

But what is greatest? Record? Entertainment value? Title defenses? It's hard to say. Phone Post 3.0

BJ is the strangest case. Almost every big name on his resume beat him.
He screwed the LW division for years. They were trying to hand him the belt and Pulver beat him and Uno drew him, then the UFC scrapped the whole division.
For as big as the Hughes win was, the second loss to GSP negates that. BJ "to the death" quit on his stool.

He does his LW comeback and beats Sherk and a bunch of guys from TUF.

He has the big: Sherk, Gomi and Hughes wins, but the losses to Edgarx3, Diaz, Pulver, GSPx2, Hughes, Rory kind of cancel those out.

BrandonWaltonMusic -
Since93 - This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

Nice contribution.
Walton you're an idiot Phone Post 3.0

Bobby Lupo - BJ is the strangest case. Almost every big name on his resume beat him.
He screwed the LW division for years. They were trying to hand him the belt and Pulver beat him and Uno drew him, then the UFC scrapped the whole division.
For as big as the Hughes win was, the second loss to GSP negates that. BJ "to the death" quit on his stool.

He has the big: Sherk, Gomi and Hughes wins, but the losses to Edgarx3, Diaz, Pulver, GSPx2, Hughes, Rory kind of cancel those out.

This man knows Phone Post 3.0

After the devastating way Penn retired, I thought all this crazy talk would be put to rest, I gave my sympathies like many others in a respectful way.

Now it seems some retards want to resurrect the feud.

Be aware that you are only hurting your guy by doing this, cheapening what Penn accomplished in the eyes of current and past fans and also harming the guy's reputation for the newer fans.

How dumb can you get?

Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -

Nice contribution.
I honestly think the subject is too stupid to comment on. Not getting busted for PEDs is a goat factor? Dumb.

Fighting fat is a good thing? Losing to jens pulver, Frankie 2xs, and drawing with uno, all in your prime is goat material? Phone Post 3.0

You are vastly underrating both Pulver and Frankie if you think those are supposed to be embarrassing loses. And Penn thoroughly battered Uno in that fight.
I guess pulver should be in the goat discussion too then, huh? Phone Post 3.0

That just speaks volumes to how long you have watched the sport.

Throwin'Knuckles - Randy could be compared to BJ on that top 5 list.
I think people overlook him as one of the all time greats.
UFC Heavyweight Championship (Three times)
UFC Light Heavyweight Championship (Two times)
Interim UFC Light Heavyweight championship (One time)
UFC 13 Heavyweight Tournament Champion
Fight of the Night (Two times)
UFC Hall of Fame
UFC Viewer's Choice Award[64]
Winner of The First UFC Hall of Famer vs. UFC Hall of Famer bout in UFC History
Most Championship reigns in UFC history (5)
Most Championship fights in UFC history (15)
Most Championship fights lost in UFC History (6)
Oldest fighter to win a title in UFC history (43 years, 255 days)
Oldest fighter to defend a title in UFC history (44 years, 65 days)
Oldest fighter to win a fight in UFC history (47 years, 68 days)
First fighter to hold Championships in two weight classes
First fighter to hold an Interim UFC Championship
Tied (Tim Sylvia) for most successful Heavyweight title defenses (3)
Tied (Tim Sylvia, Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez) for most consecutive heavyweight title defenses (2)
Tied (Chuck Liddell and Anderson Silva for third most wins in the UFC (16)
All-time leader in UFC fight cards headlined

Yeah thats a good point, thanks for not just overlooking the thread like the rest of these cunts.

But yeah I think that the idea that being a champion in two divisions gets passed over is just crazy to me.

Bobby Lupo - BJ is the strangest case. Almost every big name on his resume beat him.

But is it far at all to use his losses against such bigger opponents against him? Georges wouldn't have beaten most of middleweight back then never mind now.

BJ Penn's mom agrees Phone Post 3.0

SporkChop - BJ beat dudes like Joe Stevenson and Kenny Florian at his best.

BJ lost to dudes like Frankie Edgar 3 times, GSP twice, Matt Hughes, etc etc.

Is he a good fighter? Yeah. But GOAT? What a crock. Get over it. BJ is one of the last of the old guard and the sport has evolved.

Edgar was his kryptonite....Georges is a way bigger, test tube version of a martial artist.

BrandonWaltonMusic - 
Bobby Lupo - BJ is the strangest case. Almost every big name on his resume beat him.

But is it far at all to use his losses against such bigger opponents against him? Georges wouldn't have beaten most of middleweight back then never mind now.

Then train properly, chill with the Kalua Pork and Poi and do some roadwork.

Mertvaya Ruka - anyway, let the Penn lunatics have their thread if it means they'll stop derailing the real discussions about who's the true best ever.

My God .... this guy Mertvaya Ruka is the worst (or close to it) poster on this damn site...

He is so damn emotional and can't seem to make any cogent arguments. All he does is whine about his daddy (GSP).

No need to act like such a baby because most of the folks on this site believe there is no chance GSP is the best MMA fighter...

I will give you this - he is the best wrestler... but fighter? No chance.

Lanceness021 - Personally I suspect BJ is the best clean fighter of this era.

Fedor is questionable.

Jones, Anderson and GSP are all but confirmed.

pretty much this...

SporkChop - BJ beat dudes like Joe Stevenson and Kenny Florian at his best.

BJ lost to dudes like Frankie Edgar 3 times, GSP twice, Matt Hughes, etc etc.

Is he a good fighter? Yeah. But GOAT? What a crock. Get over it. BJ is one of the last of the old guard and the sport has evolved.

LOL at ignoring his wins over Sherk, Diego, Hughes, Renzo (at middleweight)...

Porkchop... another GSP nut hugging troll... what happened to your old name?

BJ is one of the greatest of his era, no question. I still put Fedor at the top because of how long he went undefeated, but I kind of feel like there should be two lists. One list for greatest fighters never popped for PEDs, and another for guys who ended their careers without pissing hot. Also, you have to wait until their careers are over to see which list they go on. Guys like Jones are guaranteed to be on one of those lists, but we'll have to wait and see which one it is after they've retired.

Silverball - BJ is one of the greatest of his era, no question. I still put Fedor at the top because of how long he went undefeated, but I kind of feel like there should be two lists. One list for greatest fighters never popped for PEDs, and another for guys who ended their careers without pissing hot. Also, you have to wait until their careers are over to see which list they go on. Guys like Jones are guaranteed to be on one of those lists, but we'll have to wait and see which one it is after they've retired.

Agreed.

quick -
Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -

Nice contribution.
I honestly think the subject is too stupid to comment on. Not getting busted for PEDs is a goat factor? Dumb.

Fighting fat is a good thing? Losing to jens pulver, Frankie 2xs, and drawing with uno, all in your prime is goat material? Phone Post 3.0

You are vastly underrating both Pulver and Frankie if you think those are supposed to be embarrassing loses. And Penn thoroughly battered Uno in that fight.

Since 93 Phone Post 3.0

Stop... Just stop Phone Post 3.0

Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -

Nice contribution.

Since 93 Phone Post 3.0

Apparently you slept through quite a few years.

quick - 
Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
quick -
Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -

Nice contribution.

Since 93 Phone Post 3.0

Apparently you slept through quite a few years.

Ha.... winner of best one liner of the year...