The Avellan Bros

For later Phone Post

Two great guys. They were very influential in the development of BJJ, Submission Grappling and MMA in the early days of the sport in Florida. Both are studs on the mats. Off the mats, they are class acts. Whatever success has come their way has been well deserved. Plus, now they are coaches and developing other champions. I haven't seen either of them in a few years but I will always be a huge fan. They have made everything they have done better. Martial arts could use a lot more leaders like Marcos and David.

Gordon Hester

Momentum - Two great guys. They were very influential in the development of BJJ, Submission Grappling and MMA in the early days of the sport in Florida. Both are studs on the mats. Off the mats, they are class acts. Whatever success has come their way has been well deserved. Plus, now they are coaches and developing other champions. I haven't seen either of them in a few years but I will always be a huge fan. They have made everything they have done better. Martial arts could use a lot more leaders like Marcos and David.

Gordon Hester

As usual, Gordon is correct.

When I moved from NYC down to Miami in 2003, after having been at Renzo Gracie's for five years, I wasn't a big fan of the Avellans because they were some of Team Renzo's strongest competitors. After going to the school and meeting David, I was an instant fan. It was a bit later that I met Marcus, but they are both total class acts, top competitors, and credits to the sport. If I wasn't at Rilion Gracie's academy, I'd be a student of David and Marcus without a question.

I was there for the Terrell match. Great match and total class act brothers. They give grappling a good name Phone Post

In Phone Post

Marcos Avellan - Dan, he has another webinar tomorrow:

http://kimuratrap.com/rolling-armbar-6/

I've been insanely busy this last week, so sadly I missed this.

However, I'll be able to watch the seminar on his site, just sadly without the extra bits he keeps for live viewers!

Thanks guys for the posts!  Gordon, we had a good run back in the day!  You were great help with our tournaments and I always appreciated having you assist with our tournaments and shows.  I hope to catch up with you one day, you are one of the best guys I have met in the sport.

Thanks for the kind comments Marco. I definitely hope we get to catch up in person sometime in the near future. I hope you, David, the family and your students are doing well. I will let you know if I am in Miami in the future so I can drop by and say hello. Equally, let me know if you are near Sarasota.

Where did you guys get you black belts from: for Marcos or David. The Internet has you listed as black belts but I can't find by whom. I did see however a picture of David at Xandes school wearing a gi. Phone Post

Gordon, please do so, I just friend requested you on facebook, hit me up 100% next time you are in town and we can hang out.

Ninja316, I got my bio here: www.MarcosAvellan.com

I also have a rough draft of a video bio about my brother and I, which is here: www.MarcosAvellan.com/avellan-bio

The video explains everything about us, from when we started to today.

I had the pleasure of meeting both brothers at the USSD back in 2003, being involved with the setup, security, etc. and training at the Gracie Academy. Became big fans after the matches, and been following their online training, has really helped me out! Bravo Zulu Boys!

Thank you Anthony

are you guys of spanish decent?

Just noticed your reply, I'm American, born and raised in the USA, but my parents are from Venezuela and Peru.

I met both of these guys in late October. Both seemed to be class acts & very deserving of the fruits of their hard (& smart) work.

Thank you G-Hands for your comment, I appreciate it.

HolyAvengerP5, I don't know how long island jews sound like but I get a lot of funny comments from people guessing my ethnicity.