The Beaten Path Trail Montana

Do you blame this on age or you just not being in the shape you need to be in?

For extensive hiking in harsher terrain you really need to be in pretty good shape to keep a normal pace.

Probably a combination of not being in great shape and not being used to the altitude. My brother is in really good shape though and he’s hurting as bad as I am. I knew it would be tough but that’s part of the reason I love to do it.

2 Likes

While I don’t envy the pain, I do envy the time you guys have in and that you got to use your prime bodies for this stuff. I didn’t really get into it until I was in my mid 30s so with time and family limitations I quickly realized I missed my window to do some of the neater or crazier things.

2 Likes

Life without some kind of action sport was just becoming so seemingly dull and grey. Drugs filled the gap for a while.

I’m kind of all in on motorcycling now. I’ve been riding off and on since the 90s, but always for commuting and occasional fun. Now I go out for fast technical rides on both street and dirt. Planning on taking track instruction when available.

It’s the only thing I can think of that satisfies the itch and my wrecked shell isn’t a huge impediment.

2 Likes

I want to be you and MountainMedic when I grow up. I need to make a little trip over to Tana one state away and have a beer with you grey bushed fuckers one fine day

3 Likes

I was still doing alright until last year, fucked up my back at work. Then they started finding all the other old injuries (including breaking my back at some point that I don’t remember) and I got benched. I’m still in the middle of figuring out what to do with my new set up…

I know what you mean about all in or all out. I tended to do that as well. I definitely went ocd when I discovered ice climbing, lol.

2 Likes

Have had only 2 speeds all of my life, go like hell or go home. Have always been the fastest at whatever I did. The going like hell has caught up with me as well. Many injuries, the latest was collapsing my fucking hip while bow-hunting the last few weeks. The hike/drag my ass back to my truck on that day will be long remembered.

I can’t even stand up straight right now, and damn sure can’t hike at all. Knew I would end up with a new hip at some point in time, just didn’t want it right now, damn it. Ski season is coming and I believe I am proper
fucked…at least for this year. FUCK getting old.

2 Likes

Oof, that sucks. I thought you were doing decent and I remember you looking forward to that hunt.
I’m just hoping I can xc this winter and hunt next year. Missed last year and won’t even try this year.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Always enjoyed reading your posts about your outdoor activities. Hopefully you get back out soon. How long was the hike out? Sounds scary as hell

2 Likes

Was doing great, or so I thought. But after hunting hard daily for a couple of weeks, then going on an epic uphill climb, I fucking crashed and burned hard. Hip was gone in literally one step (already knew the ball was necrotic and would fail sooner or later) Getting back to my truck is one of the more painful things I have ever done. It is epic just walking to the bathroom right now. Now on list for hip replacement. Just fucking hell, I hate getting old physically. Mentally I like being older and somewhat wiser, but physically…just hell no.

2 Likes

You’re too crotchety to die

1 Like

Thank you. See my post above to Medic, the walk back out was super fucked, and as painful as I have ever had anything be. It was only about 4 miles back to my truck, but there were several moments when I didn’t think I had it in me to make it. Not exaggerating when I call it downright brutal.

I always keep a couple pain pills in my kit just for this type of situation. I am normally pretty sensitive to them as I rarely take them. 2 10mg oxys did just about nothing to help with the pain on my way back to my truck.

1 Like

Sadly you are likely correct. I will just get older and more miserable. If I ever get to the point I can’t play in the outdoors in the mountains at all…I may start a free-solo climbing career. Zero desire to be an old cripple who can’t do shit. Hopefully not there yet.

1 Like

4 miles with a busted hip would be tough as hell. Glad you made it out.

2 Likes

I busted my humeral head off once and there’s no chance I could have walked 4 yards.

Tough sonofabitch.

1 Like

Lol, join me in my basement and we can grow more paranoid and dismayed with society while we spend our retirement on guns we don’t need and ammunition we’ll never shoot.

3 Likes

“Medic- Lol, join me in my basement and we can grow more paranoid and dismayed with society while we spend our retirement on guns we don’t need and ammunition we’ll never shoot.”

LMAO. I am all in on this one. I didn’t bust the head clean off, the sides of the ball part of the joint started crumbling off in pieces, it was indeed a challenge to get my ass out.

So you have a replacement hip? If so how did it go? How long was the recovery? Can you still do most of what you once could with that hip? Ski?Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Likes

The two of you have both my major injuries. I broke my back in a semi unknown way 20 years ago and ended up fused. That healed and I was still young so I came back after a year and was fine for a long time.

Then both my hips started going bad. First replacement was 4 years ago. The other one I’ve been babying ever since trying to avoid another replacement - recovery was not fun and it didn’t come out as great as I’d hoped.

I might have another few years left in it. I dunno.

I feel like I lived someone elses life until age 40.

3 Likes

This is an interesting look into my future

2 Likes

Your future is to be saved from a house fire by a group of friendly puppies.

2 Likes