The best base for an MMA Fighter

<p><p>Last night I caught the finale of the ultimate fighter, and it raised a few questions in my head.  As well as raising a few questions it show cased that the UFC is still superior than the WEC talent with the co main event match up of Anthony Petis vs Clay Guida.  Also making an impressive ufc debut was Chris Cope basically dominating Chuck O&rsquo;neil, which was the perfect example of what I had discussed in a prior article of being outclassed by a better striker.</p>

So the first question that came to mind after watching the fights last night was, What is the best base for a striking background to transition into MMA? Another question it raised was What is the best base for a grappling background to transition into MMA. The reason I ask they questions specifically is because throughout the fights I have watched I hear two styles consistent come up, wrestling and Tae Kwon Do.

As strange as it is most Martial Artists start with either Karate and Tae Kwon Do, and I have noticed TWD has been a good transitional tool for Professionals and I even feel it has benefited me as I make my transition into MMA. Now I never wrestled growing up but, have spent a majority of the last year working with more wrestling styled grapplers to help my submission grappling game and believe me it has a great effect. I have heard many pure bjj fighters say that to become the best submission grappler, BJJ is the perfect base but I am looking at an mma career. To me the ability to dictate where the fight will be fought as well as being able to stand back up if you are taken down is huge.

Even look at the styles that were featured in last nights UFC card. Look at the winners and they all have a background in either wrestling or Tae Kwon Do. This says a few things, that TKD has been underrated and can actually be effective if applied properly and a less obvious statement of wrestling is clearly the best grappling base to bring into MMA.

For those of you youngsters out there, learn from the pro’s of the sport and get yourself involved with wrestling asap. Even though most academies offer actual MMA classes, it can’t hurt to develop a solid wrestling game to build your foundation.

<a href="http://mikecaulo.com/the-best-base-for-an-mma-fighter/" target="_blank">more &raquo;</a>

Hey Michael I agree 100%. I started with judo when I was seven years old. By age ten I had picked up both boxing and taekwondo. Transitioning into MMA in my later years was fairly easy. I find that most TKD competitors don't make the successful transition mainly because the combat training is not realistic. As a TKD competitor I was unbeaten and I lend that achievement to my boxing conditioning. I have taught TKD, boxing & Judo for over 30 years. Our training simulates as closely to possible what will be faced in the competition arena as possible. This has given us an 86% win to loss record. TKD has more and better kicking techniques than Muay Thai but what usually separates the winners from the losers is conditioning of the limbs and the close to reality combat training. Most TKD guys are tournement fighters. Great Athleticism but no real ability to give or absorb punishment on a continuing basis. One other aspect of training that is ignored is that most of these fighters don't have any one to train with that is real proficient at kicking. Most guys learn a step through round kick and they think they are Muay Thai experts. When defending tourself in the ring or in the street, you need to be familiar with what someone can throw at you in order for you to successfully defend against it. The recent Silva and Belfot fight is the perfect example. Belfort obviously didn't train with anyone throwing front (teeps) kicks at his head. He had no trained response for that attack. The same happened to Cotoure by Machida. If you not familiar with it, it will hurt you. Proficient TKD kickers have that advantage if their condition and combat simulated training is in place.