The BEST Garlic Mashed EVER

This recipe is from Tyler Florence. It is ALWAYS a hit anytime I make it. I actually have people requesting it when they come for dinner. I personally love potatoes in any shape or form, and have compared these to restaurant Garlic Mashed. These blow them out of the water.

GARLIC MASHED POTATOES:

2.5 lbs of Yukon Gold Potatoes

1 Head of peeled Garlic cloves (I just get a container of prepeeled Garlic)

Heavy Cream

1 stick of unsalted butter

Kosher Salt

Fresh Black Pepper

Chives

Peel and quarter the potatoes and put them in a pot of cold water along with the peeled garlic cloves. Boil the water until the potatoes are fork tender. be sure that they are really tender. Drain the water and return the potatoes and garlic to the pot. In a small sauce pan, melt 1 stick of unsalted butter in about 1 cup of Heavy Cream (more may be needed). Once the butter is melted and the cream is warm, pour that on to the potatoes and garlic. Begin mashing the potatoes with a handheld masher until they are smooth and the butter and cream are well mixed. Add more warmed cream if necessary, or if the potatoes aren't going to be served right away.

Once it is creamy, give it a healthy dose of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Toss in some chopped chives for color, and serve. This side dish is always a crowd pleaser. Plus, it is easy to make and once you make it a few times, it is almost impossible to mess up.

Tyler makes some good shit.

funny how a stick of butter will make most dishes great.

Anybody know if there's any detrimental effect from whipping them instead of smashing?

I doubt there would be a detrimental effect just a different type of texture.

Tyler Florence has some great recipes on his "Tyler's Ultimate" show, i mean everything i have ever seen looks awesome.

If anyone tries this recipe, let me know how it goes!

Whipping may make them gluey.  If you are going to whip, make sure you start off hand mashing or on really low until the butter is well incorporated.  That will help inhibit gluten formation and will make them creamy and not spackly.  But don't overdo it, nothing can help abused taters.
Add fats before liquids.  I think that applies to all starches to keep them from becoming gluey. 

If you are like me, you don't mind getting your hands in the food. For example, I don't use a food processor cuz I have a chef's knife(of course there are exceptions.) Honestly, you would spend more time cleaning the mixer than the 1 minute it will take the mash cooked potatoes and garlic.

You'll never get the same smooth texture with a masher as you will with a mixer.  And you won't get as smooth a texture as with a ricer or a food mill.  Hand mashing will give it that "rustic" feel while the whipping or milling gives it a "fancier" feel.  It's more fancy to not have to chew at all. 

Sound good. I like to roast my garlic first, then squeeze the past in the potatoes. Any way you soften it up, I suppose.

Want a twist on that recipe? Use it for twice-baked potatoes. Bake them sumbitches, pull them out, whip them, put them back in the tater shells. Cover with cheese, and bake a bit more.

With twice-based, I'd add crumbled bacon too.

ttt sounds like some good shit

Hey look at this thread!

I saw another good thing to do with mashed taters so I'll just put it here.  You make just some plain old mashed potatoes, any ol' way you make them.  Butter and cream or olive oil, whatever.  Then you just squeeze a bit of that tubed wasabi paste and mix it in.  A little won't change the flavor, but make only a light hint when you breathe out.  I used a lot though.  It's the simplest thing that can make people think you're a fancy, fancy person. 

Mullet, that is how my mother makes her twice bakeds, so damn good.

TTT

Gonna try this one soon.

I also use sour cream in place of cream (or milk).

i make mine VERY similar but use sour cream in them. Also, LOTS of garlic, roasted if you can.

Yukon's are THE BEST POTATOES for mashing IMO.

I've been experimenting with different flavours in the mashed (and twice baked) potatoes. Some cheeses work pretty well, especially...

Cream cheese in mashed potatoes (or a bit of sour cream).

Grana Padano in mashed (adds a nice nutty flavour).

Sharp cheddar in twice baked or mashed

My favorite - Shropshire (English blue cheese) in twice-baked potatoes.

mullet...wouldnt that kind if equal a potato skin recipe from tgif???

No idea. I've never had them.

ttthanks