The Big Lie of Obesity (Wut?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-christianson/post_8519_b_6054642.html

I pride myself of being apt in reading comprehension, but I think I might have struck out on this one. So, rather than reading the article for the third time, I reach out to my OG brethren. Why is it NOT about people choosing the wrong intake, and chimps being forced to do the same?

--------------------

If it is about choices, why are more people than ever before apparently making bad ones? There are two common answers to this question. The first answer blames the food industry for making addictive foods and filling our 'food environments' with them. The second one places the blame on the individual without ever explaining why so many more are now affected. Is either view right?

To answer this, it is important to make a distinction between one individual's weight gain and a population's weight gain. To look at individual weight gain, let's take an imaginary person named John. Let's say John decided he wanted to get fat. If John added 1 gallon of ice cream on top of his current diet and never left the couch, he would gain weight. So far the choice theory of obesity seems to fit.

The population is where the theory falls apart. If weight gain started in the early 1990s, and if poor choices were to blame, we should expect the populations which could not choose their diets would not have gained weight. Imagine if a group of chimpanzees as they ultimate control group. Even if you believe chimps could make poor food choices, lets say their food was carefully measured each day and their activity levels were also monitored. Would you expect these chimps to gain weight in such a situation?

This actually was a real study. From 1990 to 2010 chimps in settings just like this gained over 30 percent per decade. During this time frame over 20,000 other animals have also had unprecedented weight gain.One of the researchers from this paper summed up the conclusions quite clearly:

"The claim that obesity is a disease of willpower is now completely unsupportable."

As a society, we need to really hear this message and we need to use it to update our beliefs about obesity. When I start to judge either myself for struggling to make the best choices or someone else for the choices they appear to be making, I try to remember the chimps.

As bad as this epidemic has been for the last few decades, unfortunately it looks like it is just getting started. By 2030 it is expected that most adults on the planet will be either overweight, obese or very obese.3

--------------------

Fatties making excuses for their poor decisions

the good news is, by 2030, all these fatso's fingers will be to fat fat to work a keyboard.

Retarded.

I can't wait for everyone else to turn into tubs of goo. I'll be in the top Greek god tier of humanity. Phone Post 3.0

Pilgor the goat -

the good news is, by 2030, all these fatso's fingers will be to fat fat to work a keyboard.

The bad news is that they will make bigger keyboards for their sausage fingers. Phone Post 3.0

I read what was pasted in your OP.

They seem to conclude based on a "control group" of chimps being fed a diet with no choices gaining weight that humans with choices about what to eat have no real choice that doesn't result in weight gain. I'm not sure what specific logical fallacy that is but it's not sound at all. Phone Post 3.0

like everyone else already mentioned

just because there may or may not be some environmental factor that is contributing to a societal weight gain doesn't mean that diet isn't the single greatest contributing factor in determining weight

people love to point to biochemical differences in foods and enzyme levels without realizing how miniscule the difference in ATP is when talking about thousands of calories

either way i'm interested in what this factor is and why it is correlated with obesity

BPA may or may not cause obesity, but eating excess calories definitely does

AllAmericana - I read what was pasted in your OP.

They seem to conclude based on a "control group" of chimps being fed a diet with no choices gaining weight that humans with choices about what to eat have no real choice that doesn't result in weight gain. I'm not sure what specific logical fallacy that is but it's not sound at all. Phone Post 3.0

That was my take on it.

1) People have a free choice of different dietary intake. The yummiest choices get you fat.

2) Chimps are forced - against their will, possibly - to eat Twinkies and freedom fries like the Homo Sapiens Sapiens do by chioce in (1).

3) The chimps get fat too.

4) Therefore, since choice (1) and being forced (2) get the same results (1 & 3), choice is not a factor that matters.

---------------

Wut-pear, if there ever was one. 

studies aside, i know this, when i take breaks off from exercising daily(due to injuries) and start eating more, i gain weight...but when i start back to hitting the weights hard and moderating my food intake, i lose weight...why is this i wonder?this isnt rocket science..

im not sure if people simply are just eating way too much, its just they dont move around enough...people i know never go for walks, nor go to the gym, they just sit around..

Here we go with the fat hate brigade

Did you guys even read it?

"their food was carefully measured each day and their activity levels were also monitored"

"From 1990 to 2010 chimps in settings just like this gained over 30 percent per decade. During this time frame over 20,000 other animals have also had unprecedented weight gain"

CDarwin - 
AllAmericana - I read what was pasted in your OP.

That was my take on it.

1) People have a free choice of different dietary intake. The yummiest choices get you fat.

2) Chimps are forced - against their will, possibly - to eat Twinkies and freedom fries like the Homo Sapiens Sapiens do by chioce in (1).

3) The chimps get fat too.

4) Therefore, since choice (1) and being forced (2) get the same results (1 & 3), choice is not a factor that matters.

---------------

Wut-pear, if there ever was one. 

The problem with your take on it is that item 2 is wrong. It's actually the opposite of what apparently happened. Rather than force feeding the chimps bad food choices, they actually eliminated their bad food choices, and even carefully measured how much they actually ate. As I understand it, the point of the study is to show that despite not having bad food choices, and controlling the amount of food that the chimps ate, they still gained weight over the long term.

I am not saying the study conclusions are correct, or how to explain them if they are, but I think that is the point they are trying to make.

WELL THEN WORK HARDER TO STAY THIN.............

Ppl who watch they eat and how much the eat lose weight. Ver few exceptions to that rule. My.dad used to eat junk. Now jes watching what he eats, is eating less and not eating certain foods. Guess what? Hes losing weight. A buddy of mine was over 300lbs. He started eating less excercising and eating healthier. Guess what? Hes losing weight. Its not rocket science. Phone Post 3.0

THERESmyCHIPPY - Ppl who watch they eat and how much the eat lose weight. Ver few exceptions to that rule. My.dad used to eat junk. Now jes watching what he eats, is eating less and not eating certain foods. Guess what? Hes losing weight. A buddy of mine was over 300lbs. He started eating less excercising and eating healthier. Guess what? Hes losing weight. Its not rocket science. Phone Post 3.0

I think the how much has been debunked. It depends on what you are eating.

Lol at everybody thinking they know everything.

"It's just calories. Derp."

The complex biochemistry of the human body has been reduced to a single variable. Congratulations guys. Come get your PhDs. Phone Post 3.0

AlbertEinstein - Lol at everybody thinking they know everything.

The complex biochemistry of the human body has been reduced to a single variable. Congratulations guys. Come get your PhDs. Phone Post 3.0
Come get your M&M McFlurry

...fatty Phone Post 3.0

It's a combination of both, and there are lots of factors involved.

I wonder what foods/drinks put more into advertisement, or what foods are more convenient to prepare and pay for.

Also many more jobs are less active, and there are more potential distractions to prevent people from exercising.

AlbertEinstein - Lol at everybody thinking they know everything.

The screen name irony is delicious.