The BJJ program at my gym is dying :(

Rolling music, Hip hop is #1, rock is good. Anything but country really, I can roll to it. I am big fan of funk music while rolling/training. Earth Wind & Fire, Kool n the Gang are both great. Whitney Houston fucking bangs when training lol. Not kidding. I had a coach who would play soft rock/pop like Cold Play and Sanford and Son and bullshit like that and it fucking suuuuucked.

I have no problem with music blaring when rolling. It is during technique/teaching that I think the volume should be off. I like walking into a silent gym. Silence before class. So silent that it is kind of tense. Then, class begins, you learn a move or two, and then when rolling starts the music comes on. That is my preference at least.

3 Likes

Quiet during instruction. Music going during rounds.

4 Likes

I mentioned in another thread recently, I was teaching at a warehouse sized gym with Muay thai, Cross fit & BJJ classes at the SAME TIME on weeknights. There was music too and it was an effort to even communicate. It made class harder.

I remember going to a Mansur seminar once with a cardio kickboxing class 10 feet away. It was nuts. It’s the gym owner who needs to take responsibility in these situations. You have to be able to give & receive instructions in BJJ class. Plus, people need to hear other people tap out.

4 Likes

Instructor should be calling these people out and correcting their intensity.

1 Like

Helio would be rolling in his grave at music in BJJ classes. :laughing:

That’s the exact opposite of my experience.
I think a lot of it is going to depend upon the style of class though.
Is the striking class (for the general members) more of an exercise class or is that a lot of actual sparring?

How is the bjj program run?
Pushing like getting ready for a comp?
A lot of technique with a choice as to how hard of a rolls you’re going to get?
People going at it like it’s a comp right there night after night trying to win medals at practice?
Is it run by a BB?

He’d be too busy raping the help or jumping a superior man/fighter with metal weapons.

2 Likes

Blasting metal and hardcore striking? The average recreational person will not join

2 Likes

Sparring is mostly Wednesdays but some Mondays and occasional sparring breaks out on other days. I would say that 50%+ of the people in the striking classes are competing so sparring is a regular occurrence, both boxing and kickboxing. Class is run pretty normal; warm ups, technique, rolling. There are so few students at this point that you cannot choose who you roll with, its just whoever is there. There are three instructors. Two nights a week is a BB, the other two are brown belts.

1 Like

I will say, it is rare that a new person even tries class. I don’t think a new person has joined in about two months, and that kid already does kickboxing so he wasn’t a “new” member for the gym. New people come in to try striking multiple times a week. Not sure why people aren’t even coming in to try BJJ, but when they do, I can see why it might be unappealing, even extra intimidating given the atmosphere of the gym. Its a fight gym for sure. Maybe when classes move to 7pm and its a bit more relaxed atmosphere it will help with new people sticking around?

It’s hard…

Even under the “best” of situations MOST people stop showing up sooner rather than later. It’s just hard to find people who can/will stick with it. Period. You need a lot of people coming through the doors to find one who’ll stay.

Guys who seem like they love BJJ and are super excited for class for a few weeks, or whatever, just vanish all the time. --It’s the oddest thing, but it’s normal for BJJ.

People staying for any length of time is the exception.

2 Likes

Why not go to an all BJJ gym?

Because I like stand up too.

Is it feasible to do both? Sounds like the BJJ program probably won’t recover, and you stated you preferred Jiu Jitsu.

Yeah… I checked out another gym yesterday. I feel like a scoundrel, but man, I need both. I love the people where I am at. It is also fun to go to the fights and be around fighters that are fighting on big promotions. That energy is fun and cool. But, I need BJJ. I have been on this journey too long to quit, and if my gym is effectively no longer offering it, I am not sure what choice I have. The shit part is that I have a ton of friendships at this gym. Not seeing those people will be the worst. Also, the striking is great. The coaches are great. Just good people.

This shit is rough. Not sure what I am going to do tbh, but I will be at least trying a few classes at other places to see what else might be out there.

2 Likes

creonte

1 Like

There is a difference between leaving a gym you are loyal to and going to a competitor just because, and your gym effectively dropping BJJ so you go to a gym that has it.

Having said that, the whole “creonte” thing is toxic bullshit. My first and longtime coach always encouraged us to go train everywhere. If you find somewhere better suited to you, go there. Be happy. There are countless advantages to trying other gyms, and this bullshit that you should be mindlessly loyal no matter what is bullshit.

I had to leave my longtime gym during COVID as I moved and earned full custody of my son and driving across town just wasn’t possible. It sucked. But, I am still welcome back, and I still drop in on occasion. If I leave my current gym, it will be the same. I will leave on good terms, and I will drop back in on occasion to see old friends. It fucking sucks but I have no plans on stopping BJJ.

2 Likes

Stop feeding trolls

2 Likes

Lol.

You arent beholden to anyone. You’re a client at your main gym and should train wherever you want. I crosstrain broadly and would not go back to any gym that had a problem with it. What state are you in? If you’re reasonably close you can come train with us sometime

1 Like