The Brian Bowles Enigma

So, I was do some film study on Brian Bowles to get ready for tomorrow's fight. Something just popped in my head, I can't quite explain it. What makes him so good? I have no real reason to pick him to win, but I just feel like he is going to win.

When Brian fought Will Ribeiro, he was supposed to get beat up standing. However, Will had nothing to offer Brian standing besides some awkward spinning back kicks. Again, Demacio Page was supposed to be experienced, coming off that big win(controversial) over Scott Jorgenson. Brian complerely dummies him and chokes Demacio out in the first.

It reminds me of early Pride Fedor. Both guys are unassuming fighters. Nothing really pops off regarding their technique. They are well rounded at everything, but not really great at any one thing. They are both in a division that is kind of a mystery as to where the talent hierarchy lies. The UFC HW division from the early 2000s is a lot like the Shooto 135ers for a few years ago. People are finding out the fighters are alittle overrated.

Brian vs Miguel Torres was a lot like Fedor vs Minotauro. Torres and Nog were both considered to be unbeatable dominant champions. Brian and Fedor were out-matched up-and-comers that were going to get beat up. However, Brian and Fedor completely destroy the champs. After, everyone is confused as to how good they are.

The only quality that they seem to have that really stands out, which might be the most important quality in all of sports, is they know how to WIN. Now, Im not saying Brian is going to go on a tear and dominate the sport. I just think it is quite a unique correlation between the two during the same early stages of their career.

My pick tomorrow is Brian Bowles to win. I don't really know why I want to pick him. I think Cruz is the better wrestler, has just as good stand up, reach advantage, and a speed advantage. It will be fun to really see how great Brian Bowles may some day be.

Bowles re-hydrating

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs480.ash1/26273_1368152371781_1470864772_30988169_7327305_n.jpg

Cruz by KO

^ haha.. maybe. Those mysterious dudes always seem to woo me.

Honestly, I really excited for the WEC. Not too many people seem to be excited on the UG.

The next great 145 Chad Mendes is going to have his break through fight. Anthony Pettis is going to make up for the robbery against Bart with a huge KO. Leonard Garcia will finally retire George Roop from Zuffa. Javi vs Jens, enough said. Karen Darabedyan might finally make waves to break up the monotony of rematches between Ben, Jamie, and Donald. Also, Scott Jorgensen is coming back after his HUGE win over Mizugaki.

THIS IS A GREAT CARD. That is all with out even mentioning the main event which could pave the way for a future star in Brian Bowles, or Dominic Cruz for that matter.

edited for being completely wrong.

im definitely excited for this event tomorrow, mainly for Torres/Benavidez

i'll admit im not on the Bowles bandwagon just yet, i thought the Torres win was kind of a fluke

but hes clearly a top fighter and with Cruz's impressive last outing, it should be an awesome fight

mcpeepants232003 - 

Anyways I don't see why everyone thinks Bowles win over Torres was a fluke.

Maybe they haven't watched many of Miguel's previous fights? Miguel gets punched in the face a lot. When you are facing a power puncher like Bowles that isn't a great skill to have.

Yeah, I agree.

The shot that put Torres away was him being really careless, but he'd been hurt and then dropped so I don't think "fluke" enters the equation.

Not too many people seem to be excited on th UG ?????????I just got back from the weigh ins & all the other stuff to get ready for tomorrows WEC & I am stoked ! These guys look ripped & i guarantee that they are in tip top shape for this show.We find out in the morning which fights we reff...

mcpeepants232003 - 
Pain4Blood2 - 
MillhouseMMA - Bowles re-hydrating

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs480.ash1/26273_1368152371781_1470864772_30988169_7327305_n.jpg

Cruz by KO

I dont think people realize this, but Bowles is fucking HUGE for 135. I cant believe he makes the weight. The guy looks like a LW or WW walking around.

no he's not. Fight magazine has an article about him this month and he says he walks around at 143. He's actually one of the smallest bantamweights in the Wec.

Anyways I don't see why everyone thinks Bowles win over Torres was a fluke.

Maybe they haven't watched many of Miguel's previous fights? Miguel gets punched in the face a lot. When you are facing a power puncher like Bowles that isn't a great skill to have.

You are 100% correct. I was wrong, he is actually really small. Just googled looking into some of his interviews and he says that he could make 125 pretty easy. He says fight at 125 is a better possibility than him ever competing at 145. My fault. Not sure what I was thinking.

http://www.mmaforreal.com/2009/12/20/1210164/brian-bowles-interview

mcpeepants232003 - The Wec gets so little love it's crazy. They probably put on the most consistently good shows yet you'll spot maybe 1 or 2 Wec threads on the front page and this is on the week of a huge show.

I really think at some point Zuffa will have to merge the two brands. The lighter guys deserve better pay but no matter what Zuffa and Versus do they can't seem to get better ratings, better ticket sales(although Columbus is rumored to have done fairly well) or get more hype.

I agree. I am more excited for this card than just about any card so far this year.

The ticket sales are looking to be about 8500(according to Jeff Sherwood). The prices are really low though. I think they said tickets were $25-175. Definitely no where near UFC prices.

Easy solution is to drop the WEC name and just call it UFC. I know all the politics with Versus regarding this matter not happening, but someday it will. It only makes sense to do that to make the sport better.

maybe "fluke" was a bad choice of words

rewatching the fight, i didnt realize Bowles had dropped Miguel and also had a nice takedown prior to the KO

Torres got too aggressive and got caught with a right rushing in, I dont think Torres makes the same mistake next time, thats all im saying

caposa - maybe "fluke" was a bad choice of words

rewatching the fight, i didnt realize Bowles had dropped Miguel and also had a nice takedown prior to the KO

Torres got too aggressive and got caught with a right rushing in, I dont think Torres makes the same mistake next time, thats all im saying

I dont think Torres is going to get another chance, anytime soon that is. IMO, Benivedas is going to beat him. Torres has a habit of dropping rounds. He lost a few against Mizugaki, against Maeda. I think Benivedas out works him for two rounds and takes a decision.

Its going to be a really contentious decision. Torres will show more offense, but Joseph will dominate with wrestling. I expect a lot of controversy. Miguel just cant stop a takedown. Joseph has very good sub defense training at Alpha Male.

mcpeepants232003 - The Wec gets so little love it's crazy. They probably put on the most consistently good shows yet you'll spot maybe 1 or 2 Wec threads on the front page and this is on the week of a huge show.

I really think at some point Zuffa will have to merge the two brands. The lighter guys deserve better pay but no matter what Zuffa and Versus do they can't seem to get better ratings, better ticket sales(although Columbus is rumored to have done fairly well) or get more hype.
Amen.

good post. If Brian wins saturday night, there's no reason not to include his name among the GSPs, Silvas, etc. It would be his 4th top ten win of his last 5 fights, all dominant and decisive finishes as well. He's the only undefeated champion in MMA who has finished every opponent he's faced, and he's the only champion who has never lost a round. Dude is legit.

That said, anything can happen in a fight. Brian is without question the favorite, but it should be a good fight tomorrow regardless.

DannyOcean - good post. If Brian wins saturday night, there's no reason not to include his name among the GSPs, Silvas, etc. It would be his 4th top ten win of his last 5 fights, all dominant and decisive finishes as well. He's the only undefeated champion in MMA who has finished every opponent he's faced, and he's the only champion who has never lost a round. Dude is legit.

That said, anything can happen in a fight. Brian is without question the favorite, but it should be a good fight tomorrow regardless.

I agree about him deserving more respect. Not quite at the level as GSP or Silva in P4P, but he belongs somewhere on that list.

This fight with Dominick will be his 9th pro fight. That is crazy to think. He's come a long ways since getting sub'd by Micah Miller as an amateur.

there was nothing fluke about bowles win over torres... give the guy some credit.

keepthechange - there was nothing fluke about bowles win over torres... give the guy some credit.

Comparing him to Fedor isn't giving him credit? Come on, give the guy some credit.

I always thought Bowles was a really solid fighter that has the ability to explode on his opponents mistakes.

I don't know that he's got the worlds most diverse striking game, but he's got a KO punch if you leave an opening.

Same with his grappling... he's not rubber-guarding and twistering anyone, but if you leave your neck out, he's going to choke you, fast.

Cruz is awfully boring, but I think he'll make a mistake and Bowles will capitalize. I think Cruz is a rougher match for Torres, your sub defense doesn't have to be as good if you're really conservative.

Benavidez is athletic and talented, but he doesn't show a lot of fight IQ, like Uriah. I think he'll give Torres too many chances to catch a sub. I think Bowles would stomp him even faster because he's so reckless.

Max

ECWCock - 
Pain4Blood2 - The UFC HW division from the early 2000s is a lot like the Shooto 135ers for a few years ago. People are finding out the fighters are alittle overrated.

I stopped reading HERE.

What do you find disagreeable? The UFC HW division in the early 2000s was really good or the Shooto 135 lbs. (called feather weight) division in 2008 was really good?

Lets talk about the Shooto 135 (well 132 I believe to be exact) division since it is actually more relevant than discussing how good the old UFC division was compared to what the Pride HW division would soon become. Consider, that is my comparison. What was to what was to become.

First, in 2008, the Shooto champ was and still is Masakatsu Ueda. Ueda is a very good fighter. No one can disrespect him. I hope to soon see him make the jump into the WEC.

After him you had Eduardo Dantas, Marcos Galvao, Daniel Lima, Kenji Osawa. These guys are all former top of the world at 135 lbs bracket. Are you telling me the talent level of these guys comes anywhere close to what we are seeing today out of guys like Brian Bowles, Dominick Cruz, Miguel Torres, Joseph Benevidas, Scott Jorgensen, ect?

In less the two years, the entire top ten of the division has completely changed. Those guys that are now running the division were no where on the radar (save Miguel Torres). The young stars that are now building this division are far and away more talented than anything Shooto was putting up.

That is why I say overrated. Maybe that is a bad choice of words. Still, I feel it is a valid comparison to the UFC HW division of past. Guys like Minotauro, Fedor, CroCop, Heath Herring, showed up in the early 2000s and completely changed what high level HW MMA was. In a short time, Pride's HW division took over MMA's HW rankings.

That is all I am saying. Just like how Pride's HW division came out of no where to claim the best HWs, WEC's 135 division came out of nowhere and changed the landscape of the bantamweight division. No longer do people say that the best 135ers are in Shooto. Sure, they did create a lot of good talent out like Ueda, Mizugaki, and Akitoshi Tamura(who fought at 143 in Shooto).

Oh to add a little more to my comparison. The HW division of the early Fedor reign and today were both very loose in terms of where the talent was. Everyone knew that Mino, Fedor and a few others were dominant. Just like we know today that Torres, Bowles, and Cruz are all top notch. However, it's the lower top 5-20 that needs to work itself out.

This was quite different than say the 155ers, 170, 205 divisions. We could see a very smooth transition of power through out the course of these division's history. The top 10 rankings were very clearly defined and guys had a linear path to work their way up through the tiers of talent level.

The 135 lbs division is very strange. A lot of the guys have yet to fight eachother and build that heirarchy. We know who is at the top, but the drop off after you get past the top 7-10 and further on down is pretty steep. The division is very shallow that way. A lot of talent is still finding their way to the weight class, wrestler's are seeing it as an option to continue to compete, and a lot the Japanese guys are coming over to WEC to find out how good they are.

I'd say this division is a few years behind the 145ers. We know that there is some awesome prospect wrestling for a national title this year, or just starting their career today that will be dominating the division in two years.

jrancer - 
keepthechange - there was nothing fluke about bowles win over torres... give the guy some credit.

Comparing him to Fedor isn't giving him credit? Come on, give the guy some credit.

come on man, give me some credit