The burning of the Library in Alexandria

Thage -

I started thinking about this the other day, we know the impact historically about what was lost at Alexandria. It's not unique in the sense that many great libraries have been lost in history during war, but Alexandria was a significant loss.There is no way to know potentially how far society is set back when one of these events occurs. Scientific and medical advancement could be lost or stalled, history, politics, human understanding.

We know that losing data, losing knowledge, and history can have a tremendous impact.

So then why are we living in an age where a prevailing thought has been to edit/destroy information/books we don't approve of?

If we continue to allow a culture of censorship, how much will be lost?

Go sit through a high school history c.lass. Real history has been lost for years.

1 Like

55579 - 
Thage -

I started thinking about this the other day, we know the impact historically about what was lost at Alexandria. It's not unique in the sense that many great libraries have been lost in history during war, but Alexandria was a significant loss.There is no way to know potentially how far society is set back when one of these events occurs. Scientific and medical advancement could be lost or stalled, history, politics, human understanding.

We know that losing data, losing knowledge, and history can have a tremendous impact.

So then why are we living in an age where a prevailing thought has been to edit/destroy information/books we don't approve of?

If we continue to allow a culture of censorship, how much will be lost?

Go sit through a high school history c.lass. Real history has been lost for years.

Not sure what you were going for.

I'm trying to draw a large parallel between a historically large loss of knowledge with the current drip of censorship that's occuring and how damaging it is.

You can thank Caesar and the Romans for burning it 

Johnny Tightlips - 

You can thank Caesar and the Romans for burning it 

1 Like

I already brought  this up last year in my Tucker thread.

We are witnessing the Burning of the Library of Alexandria. 

1 Like

What vast history are we losing now?

2 Likes
Samoa -

The rate we are producing data now is absolutely insane compared to even 20 years ago. Archives are being digitized more and more in order every day in order to protect them from the inevitable damage that occurs with physical media.

The weakness of that is that the physical infrastructure is fragile and can corrode quickly, so if we go through some kind of disaster where the internet stops existing there will have to still be a lot of upkeep. Not like some baked tablet that gets buried in sand and is still readable 4000 years later.

The Library of Alexandria burned down multiple times. It isn't as important as nu-atheists from 2004 make it out to be.

anthonyMI - 
Samoa -

The rate we are producing data now is absolutely insane compared to even 20 years ago. Archives are being digitized more and more in order every day in order to protect them from the inevitable damage that occurs with physical media.

The weakness of that is that the physical infrastructure is fragile and can corrode quickly, so if we go through some kind of disaster where the internet stops existing there will have to still be a lot of upkeep. Not like some baked tablet that gets buried in sand and is still readable 4000 years later.

The Library of Alexandria burned down multiple times. It isn't as important as nu-atheists from 2004 make it out to be.

I think I'm speaking more to the idea that people are becoming more comfortable with censorship, banning, cancelling things.

It may be on a small scale, but it happens. If we erase the history, we can't study it and ensure certain things don't happen again, or that new challenges can't draw from the past to overcome them.

I think we too heavily rely on technology and we're becoming dumber as a nation/world, and within that people seem good with removing things they personally don't like as if it couldn't possibly have any other purpose.

1 Like

If people can research samizdati from the 1960s, humanity can survive a couple nazis and assorted conspiracy nuts having to self-publish more often.

1 Like

anthonyMI - 

If people can research samizdati from the 1960s, humanity can survive a couple nazis and assorted conspiracy nuts having to self-publish more often.

It's sad that you jumped to that, as if it's what I'm remotely talking about or that I would want to promote those things.

What history is being erased then?

You can find any kind of information you want if you look for it. Self-publishing, either physical or digital media, is easier than it has ever been. The biggest shame is that anything academic is still extremely expensive. Facebook and twitter have only been around for about a decade, expecting to find everything on one of those two places is the historical aberration. And ultimately pretty harmful. See how the entire internet video comedy industry got wiped out overnight because of advertisement fuckery on the part of Facebook.

1 Like

onepunchJD -

Voted up OP.

The current trend of attempting bury history goes beyond the mindless looters and vandals.
It is being embraced by major corporations, and has long been an influence on the youth -- at the hands of leftist teachers and professors.

This is the modern equivalent of book burning.

20-30 years ago this would ot have been embraced.

Unfortunately, the current youth generation has no memory of things like The Cold War, and has little understanding of the thin ice our freedom sits on.

Our educators have let an entire generation down.
They have let America down.

Your educators? Where were you in all this? This is what happens when people. Become wage slaves and abdicate responsibility for educating their families to others.

anthonyMI -

What history is being erased then?

You can find any kind of information you want if you look for it. Self-publishing, either physical or digital media, is easier than it has ever been. The biggest shame is that anything academic is still extremely expensive. Facebook and twitter have only been around for about a decade, expecting to find everything on one of those two places is the historical aberration. And ultimately pretty harmful. See how the entire internet video comedy industry got wiped out overnight because of advertisement fuckery on the part of Facebook.

Well sadly the shadow of doubt these types cast then allows for selective tediting of history i  both sides.its always happened but living in an information age of propaganda wars and idiocracy (expert fatigue rtc)is sure tiring

Thage -
anthonyMI - 

It's sad that you jumped to that, as if it's what I'm remotely talking about or that I would want to promote those things.

AnthonyMI has Nazis on his mind 24/7. That dude thinks they lurk around every corner. 

He has been telling us for years about the potential takeover of Nazis in Europe and the major domestic nazi terrorists running wild in the US.

1 Like

TexDeuce -
Thage -
anthonyMI - 

AnthonyMI has Nazis on his mind 24/7. That dude thinks they lurk around every corner. 

He has been telling us for years about the potential takeover of Nazis in Europe and the major domestic nazi terrorists running wild in the US.

The most recent crop of people to be banned from YouTube were Richard Spender, Stephan Molyneaux, and David Duke.

So, I'll ask again, what history is being erased?

1 Like

sub

anthonyMI -
TexDeuce -
Thage -
anthonyMI - 

The most recent crop of people to be banned from YouTube were Richard Spender, Stephan Molyneaux, and David Duke.

So, I'll ask again, what history is being erased?

The history of their posts. 

The Mat Pimp -

sub

Well done edit.

anthonyMI -
The Mat Pimp -

sub

Well done edit.

Not everything that is true needs to be said. It remains true, regardless.