The CACC Triangle

The reason I asked was that I nearly bid on it on ebay recently, but didn't have much info on it.

I have both Gotch instructionals that you mentioned. I've seen one of the Lewis/Sandow books but don't own it.

Do you have any of E.C. Gallagher's or Henry Stone's? They are surprisingly good for the price and the fact that both men were mostly noted as college coaches. Stone's is just loaded with nice stuff.

Scuffler, I believe it has been confirmed the triangle came out of an old Judo book, not a CACC book.

Hey Rob,

Yep, that's what he says in the interview.....the main point of that post and of posting the address of the interview, where he plainly says it was a Judo book, wasn't to suggest that the triangle was taken from an old CACC book. Only to point out how recently the hold has become a major part of BJJ. It surprised me....

I re-read my post and can certainly see how it could be taken that way....of course I also posted the address for the interview itself. Sorry....

The triangle is in old judo books. It's in Kawaishi's book and probably others if I looked.

So, do you think that the CACC guys including Lewis got in from the Judo / Jiu-Jitsu guys that they competed against?

I know that there were CACC vs. Jiu-Jitsu going back at least as far as Burns.

scuffler-I kinda doubt that. Someone with the ability and instincts that the CACC oldtimers had probably improvised holds as necessary. That is the difference between students and masters. If you understand the principles and mechanics of the holds, then does it really matter where you are in relation to your opponent? IF you know what a figure four leg choke is and how it works, it will work from any number of entries and positions.

I agree....

Has anyone here ever seen the Henry Clayton, AKA(Evan "Strangler" Lewis) book? I understand that Robert Friedrich, AKA (ED "Strangler" Lewis) took a number of the favorite moves of Evan Lewis from that book and used them regularly. Just wondering if the triangle might be in there?

But then you also have Henry Clayton's contemporary Matsuda Sorakichi who could have been an early Jiu-jitsu / CACC link for the hold......

I have searched in vain for any hard data on Evan Lewis...didn't even know his name was Clayton. If Ed took the name as a nod to Evan, why did Even change his name at all? Don't tell me there was ANOTHER guy to take after...

scuffler-

What is the title of the book and which name was it published under?

Here is a pretty good online bio. of Henry Clayton AKA Evan Lewis: www.neowrestling.com/bios/evlewis.shtml

Here is a neat period article on Ed Lewis: www.1wrestlinglegends.com/wawli/jmk05.htm

The Ed Lewis article actually touches on his match with Dr. Ben Roller, which I understand ended by tapout submission. It also touches on his encounter with former Frank Gotch training partner Fred Beell, and how Beell injured his neck (I'd assume by using the famous Beell headlock)

Jason, I don't really know much about the book. In fact I wouldn't even know that it existed if it weren't for coming across mentions in stories and bios on Ed Lewis. There use to be one (mention) online but I can't find it.

BTW, have you (or any of you guys) seen the Stecher vs. Caddock film from 1920! I just got a copy Today! WOW!!!!

I'll be darned! I was just reading the links that I posted and realized that the Evan Lewis bio does mention the book. How did I miss that before?

Hey guys! You wanna see some great articles of some old time CACC wrestlers go this this page and click on the name of the person you wanna know about. Tons of old articles here!

http://www.puroresu.com/gallery/legends.html

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, I believe they have the exact article that I posted above on Ed Lewis, I almost posted their link to it.

Mark

Hey, I just checked it out...didn't realize how much they had. I had read articles from that page before, but had never really taken the time to see just how much is there. Thanks!

Mark

No prob, Scuff. Enjoy.

Steve

Wow, interesting thread. Does anybody here have the old wrestling manual by W.E. Cann? (ca. 1912)

jimmy o'curry

I guess that's a "no" . . .

I don't have it...not long ago I was in a position where due to my budget I had to choose between the Cann book and "Modern Wrestling" by Fleischer and Curley (they were both closing on online auctions at almost the same time) I chose to buy the Fleischer and Curley book because I was already familar with it and knew it was an excellent book. How is the Cann book?

Mark

Is this from the book you're asking about?

http://membres.lycos.fr/
lutter/gallery712p.htm

I had this up as a link but it messed up the mma.tv screen when coming back so I took it down.

Mark

Yes; I'd seen the pictures on the lutter site, but haven't been able to find much else about it online. I may have a copy in my hands within the next few months. If I can get ahold of it, I'll let y'all know how it is.

jimmy o'curry