the CM Punk hate makes no sense

He's got the guts to climb into the cage & fight. How could people hate on that? Same when James Toney fought in the UFC. As easy as it was to hate on Toney (did u see his interviews before the Couture fight?) mma fans actually respected him for climbing into the UFC cage. As far as Phil Brooks goes he might legit get his face smashed in when he debuts but at least he's shown the courage to do it. Weather he loses or not I'll be watching his debut that much is certain.

He's been respectful of mma for a long time... Yet he's not getting any in return. All the fighters should be begging to be on his card because of the eyes that will be there. Phone Post 3.0

Because it's stupid.

I get that he's a fan and has been doing BJJ when he can over the past few years.

However, the guy has never competed in anything in his life, yet he is somehow qualified to fight in the UFC?

I don't hate the idea of him wanting to try MMA. I get that, and I'm a huge pro wrestling fan (even though I wasn't really much of a fan of Punk).

What I don't like is how the UFC is devaluing it's own product by essentially bringing in a celebrity to fight just because they believe people will watch it. What's worse is that they are going to bring in somebody they would never consider signing just so they have an opponent that Punk has a chance of beating.

Personally, I "hate" the fact that the UFC let a guy with absolutely zero fighting experience into the big leagues more than anything. Nothing on CM Punk at all, he's got the balls to step up and give it a shot which is admirable but this tarnishes the UFC's legitimacy as the elite MMA organization. It was "ok" in Pride back in those days and also being in Japan and what not but not now and not when there's actual fighters out there who earned/deserve a spot at fighting in the UFC more than he does. Phone Post 3.0

MoneyMO - Because it's stupid.

I get that he's a fan and has been doing BJJ when he can over the past few years.

However, the guy has never competed in anything in his life, yet he is somehow qualified to fight in the UFC?

I don't hate the idea of him wanting to try MMA. I get that, and I'm a huge pro wrestling fan (even though I wasn't really much of a fan of Punk).

What I don't like is how the UFC is devaluing it's own product by essentially bringing in a celebrity to fight just because they believe people will watch it. What's worse is that they are going to bring in somebody they would never consider signing just so they have an opponent that Punk has a chance of beating.
My sentiments exactly. This is basically just a publicity stunt. I would go far as to compare it with the Mickey Rouke/Elliot Seymour "fight". Absolutely disgraceful. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - He's been respectful of mma for a long time... Yet he's not getting any in return. All the fighters should be begging to be on his card because of the eyes that will be there. Phone Post 3.0

Begging?  A guy like Robbie Lawler or Anderson Silva - guys who have given their lives and sacrificed to build MMA/UFC should beg to be on a card with this guy?  lol why?  Isnt that a little disrespectful to how far the UFC has come (on the backs of great fighters like these guys)?  The UFC should and must grow and exist on its own merits - by putting out good fighters and good cards. Not by reaching to the quasi celeb world and giving people with no MMA experience, slots in prime events in the hopes that people watch.  

Real fans of MMA have become frustrated with the overabundence of watery cards as of late - its been all over this forum.  This just exemplifies what people are sick of. This isnt 1997 anymore and people know what the UFC is.  They shouldnt need to resort to stunts like this.  

I honestly don't care, but I understand why people do lol.

One of the big reason's that I feel people are opposed to this idea is that the UFC has been insisting for so long now that they are THE legitimate, top tier promoter of MMA.

They repeat constantly about how they are supposedly on par with the NFL, NBA, and MLB, yet they go and do something like this. Could you imagine a celebrity superfan who plays pickup games getting the chance to play professionally in one of those sports leagues?

BigEyedFish -
RyannVonDoom - He's been respectful of mma for a long time... Yet he's not getting any in return. All the fighters should be begging to be on his card because of the eyes that will be there. Phone Post 3.0

Begging?  A guy like Robbie Lawler or Anderson Silva - guys who have given their lives and sacrificed to build MMA/UFC should beg to be on a card with this guy?  lol why?  Isnt that a little disrespectful to how far the UFC has come (on the backs of great fighters like these guys)?  The UFC should and must grow and exist on its own merits - by putting out good fighters and good cards. Not by reaching to the quasi celeb world and giving people with no MMA experience, slots in prime events in the hopes that people watch.  

Real fans of MMA have become frustrated with the overabundence of watery cards as of late - its been all over this forum.  This just exemplifies what people are sick of. This isnt 1997 anymore and people know what the UFC is.  They shouldnt need to resort to stunts like this.  

Yep.. They shouldnt want to be on a card that will draw over a million buys. Nope, they should hate money and wish that it was only about the competition. Get fucking real. Phone Post 3.0

HE BROKE HIS SKULL AND HAD SPINAL FLUID LEAKING FROM HIS EAR!

or something

RyannVonDoom - 
BigEyedFish -

Yep.. They shouldnt want to be on a card that will draw over a million buys. Nope, they should hate money and wish that it was only about the competition. Get fucking real. Phone Post 3.0

you miss the point.  

Getting Iggy Azalea to fight Nicki Minaj would get them a lot of money too.  It doesnt mean that they should do that.  

Replace "Punk" with "Shaq", which if I remember correct, almost happened. How do you see that?

Go.

(Disclaimer, yes I would rather see Sahq fight. I dont know why. Maybe its because he would be a HW and I would rather see HW's fight.)

SirIrb - Replace "Punk" with "Shaq", which if I remember correct, almost happened. How do you see that?

Go.

(Disclaimer, yes I would rather see Sahq fight. I dont know why. Maybe its because he would be a HW and I would rather see HW's fight.)
You can see 'that' in the UFC Undisputed game, now back to the main topic at hand. Phone Post 3.0

RyannVonDoom - 
BigEyedFish -

Let's be honest, Punk nor the UFC are drawing a million buys on PPV anytime soon.

Punk never came anywhere close to that when he was a headliner in the WWE. In fact, his PPV numbers during his main event runs, especially his 434-day WWE title reign, were not very good at all.

Sure, there were other factors involved in that he was rarely the true main event on a PPV card (i.e. going on last), but if he couldn't get a large amount of his fans to purchase PPVs for the line of work he is best known for, then why are there is going to be a massive surge to see him participate in a completely different industry?

hes making 7 figs with 0 fights while there are legit fighters that have toiled through the ranks making a tiny fraction of that

What is the sport coming to?

Why is Dana doing this now? where is the precedent?

It's not like the NWA fake fighting champ fought in the UFC back in the day, right?

Not only was that 1995, but Dan Severn had legitimate high level wrestling experience before being involved in pro wrestling.

Punk has never competed in any sport in his life. Plus, he's 36 years old, and just spent the last two weeks listing the various injuries he's been dealing with over the past couple of years, which includes having suffered 13 or 14 concussions throughout his pro wrestling career (the most recent occurring in January of this year).

eh, concussions happen. ask any football player.

MoneyMO - Not only was that 1995, but Dan Severn had legitimate high level wrestling experience before being involved in pro wrestling.

Punk has never competed in any sport in his life. Plus, he's 36 years old, and just spent the last two weeks listing the various injuries he's been dealing with over the past couple of years, which includes having suffered 13 or 14 concussions throughout his pro wrestling career (the most recent occurring in January of this year).

But but...other fighters like money and he is going to draw seven bajillion viewers on PPV!!!!!111one

Not hating on him, I can't blame a guy for taking an opportunity.

Jason Priestley is a big hockey fan, and is a half decent player. I'm sure if the LA kings wanted to sign him at the height of his fame he would have taken it because he'd be fulfilling a childhood dream. You just hope a league/team would have more integrity than that just to get some press and make a quick buck.