The Consolidation of Economic Power...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-04-09/where-have-all-the-u-s-public-companies-gone

Interesting read about how new companies aren't going public but are being acquired by larger companies instead.  The article is two years old but in light of the amount of small businesses that will go under I can't help but think this trend will greatly accelerate.

1 Like

This whole event will basically destroy the middle and upper middle >

1 Like

Does this mean regular investors are missing out? Not really. For one, they can invest through mutual funds or the shares of the companies doing the acquisitions -- an approach with a better risk-reward profile than making a bet on a single unproven business. Beyond that, an average Joe in an index fund can get returns pretty similar to what investors in private companies do. Adjusted for risk, private-equity investments of recent vintage have actually lagged public markets

Sandy Pantz -

Does this mean regular investors are missing out? Not really. For one, they can invest through mutual funds or the shares of the companies doing the acquisitions -- an approach with a better risk-reward profile than making a bet on a single unproven business. Beyond that, an average Joe in an index fund can get returns pretty similar to what investors in private companies do. Adjusted for risk, private-equity investments of recent vintage have actually lagged public markets

Not sure what that has to do with small businesses and even mid sized businesses all being gobbled up by large corporations.
A guy owns a small business and busts his ass to make 200k a year. Can’t compete with large business and gets a job at Amazon making 36k a year. No big deal because he can buy stock in the large corporation that put him out of business. 

1 Like

Eskimo -
Sandy Pantz -

Not sure what that has to do with small businesses and even mid sized businesses all being gobbled up by large corporations.
A guy owns a small business and busts his ass to make 200k a year. Can’t compete with large business and gets a job at Amazon making 36k a year. No big deal because he can buy stock in the large corporation that put him out of business. 

Well it's directly from the article

Yeah, the oncoming depression is going to accelerate this dramatically. Basically, we're headign towards a new capitalist/feudal hybrid if some things don't change.

1 Like

Subbed for later 

When you land in the USA it's going to say, "WELCOME TO AMAZON" with a Chinese flag.

The irony that its the left that wants this economic shutdown that is benefiting the wealthy, and the working repubs are the only ones trying to save the middle c l a s s >

1 Like
Slap Johnson -

The irony that its the left that wants this economic shutdown that is benefiting the wealthy, and the working repubs are the only ones trying to save the middle c l a s s >

This. Democrats use to be for “the little guy”. Now the only “little guy” they care about are those that work for the big guys. Small businesses be damned. 
I’ve seen this attitude by every leftists here, that in response to a struggling small business overwhelmed with government overreach will tell you that “they just don’t have a good model.” And give no thought to the fact that there is artificial propping up of certain companies by government and the ever increasing regulations hurt newer companies from developing more than already established companies.

But only big companies have the capital to provide unions what they want. So if everyone is funneled to a few select, then we can continue a two tier system where the government and their big corporation cohorts can make the rules that keep away any real competition. It’s the antithesis of a Capitalism, but then you’ll have people in the Left (like Pustak) falsely blaming Capitalism when it’s his precious government that is a major part of the problem.

Pustak - 

Yeah, the oncoming depression is going to accelerate this dramatically. Basically, we're headign towards a new capitalist/feudal hybrid if some things don't change.

Quite possible. Income inequality is going to become a huge theme in the next few years as small businesses struggle, and they employ half of the workforce.

This is not a right vs left thing.

You cant compete with the big dogs with economis of scale. 

You can have a successful small business. You just gotta offer something that is specialized and niche and cant be done effectively by the big  players in the industry.

New and innovative paradigms are coming. New small businesses will form. They always do.

2 Likes
bullson -

This is not a right vs left thing.

You cant compete with the big dogs with economis of scale. 

You can have a successful small business. You just gotta offer something that is specialized and niche and cant be done effectively by the big  players in the industry.

New and innovative paradigms are coming. New small businesses will form. They always do.

There are certainly bad actors against small businesses on both sides. But you’re wrong. Only one side is actively trying to hurt small businesses, and the other side that actively advocates for them.

What can’t be done effectively by the big players? And people can only do “niche” things? well that certainly severely hinders what kind of businesses people can be successful at when starting something from scratch. It’s certainly not a recipe for a robust, competive, capitalist society. It’s limited, and therefore weak.

The Jentleman -
Slap Johnson -

This. Democrats use to be for “the little guy”. Now the only “little guy” they care about are those that work for the big guys. Small businesses be damned. 
I’ve seen this attitude by every leftists here, that in response to a struggling small business overwhelmed with government overreach will tell you that “they just don’t have a good model.” And give no thought to the fact that there is artificial propping up of certain companies by government and the ever increasing regulations hurt newer companies from developing more than already established companies.

But only big companies have the capital to provide unions what they want. So if everyone is funneled to a few select, then we can continue a two tier system where the government and their big corporation cohorts can make the rules that keep away any real competition. It’s the antithesis of a Capitalism, but then you’ll have people in the Left (like Pustak) falsely blaming Capitalism when it’s his precious government that is a major part of the problem.

I've got very little love for the Democratic party, and I'm not about to rush to defend it. One of the major reasons we're in this pickle is that both parties have been thoroughly captured by the concentrated wealth of gigantic corporations and their uber-wealthy owner Mainstream Dems are nearly as neoliberal economically as the Republicans, and have been for decades. (See Charles Peters in 1982, "A Neoliberal's Manifesto": https://web.archive.org/web/20090327162327/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/1983/8305_Neoliberalism.pdf) Each party is more beholden to different sets of industries, for example Republicans tend to get more donations from petroleum and real estate sectors while Democrats are more likely to be funded by finance and tech sector companies. But most of these industries fund both parties to some extent. They hedge their bets because they know that whoever is in control they'll be the ones holding the purse strings. Just look at who both of these parties put in charge of oversight of various industries if you want to see this in action - it's rare to see someone who is not an insider given purview over regulating banking or health care, for example. 

But this is all, of course, the natural end result of the logic of Capitalism. In a economic-Darwinian environment the best possible solution is to gain control over state power and use it to enrich yourself. Actual competition was never the point nor the end goal. "Free market" capitalism is and always was a phantasm. Every incentive for action rewards maximizing profits, and fair competition gets in the way of that. The whole idea is fatally flawed.

And I'm not sure where you get the impression that I love big businesses. You can unionize a small shop too. Or, even better, run businesses democratically with direct management by worker-owners. Fuck conglomerates- they're the essence of dehumanizing and despotic concentrated power, and if I could snap my fingers and dissolve them all instantly I'd break all of my phalanges from snapping and snapping.

Pustak -
The Jentleman -
Slap Johnson -

I've got very little love for the Democratic party, and I'm not about to rush to defend it. One of the major reasons we're in this pickle is that both parties have been thoroughly captured by the concentrated wealth of gigantic corporations and their uber-wealthy owner Mainstream Dems are nearly as neoliberal economically as the Republicans, and have been for decades. (See Charles Peters in 1982, "A Neoliberal's Manifesto": https://web.archive.org/web/20090327162327/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/1983/8305_Neoliberalism.pdf) Each party is more beholden to different sets of industries, for example Republicans tend to get more donations from petroleum and real estate sectors while Democrats are more likely to be funded by finance and tech sector companies. But most of these industries fund both parties to some extent. They hedge their bets because they know that whoever is in control they'll be the ones holding the purse strings. Just look at who both of these parties put in charge of oversight of various industries if you want to see this in action - it's rare to see someone who is not an insider given purview over regulating banking or health care, for example. 

But this is all, of course, the natural end result of the logic of Capitalism. In a economic-Darwinian environment the best possible solution is to gain control over state power and use it to enrich yourself. Actual competition was never the point nor the end goal. "Free market" capitalism is and always was a phantasm. Every incentive for action rewards maximizing profits, and fair competition gets in the way of that. The whole idea is fatally flawed.

And I'm not sure where you get the impression that I love big businesses. You can unionize a small shop too. Or, even better, run businesses democratically with direct management by worker-owners. Fuck conglomerates- they're the essence of dehumanizing and despotic concentrated power, and if I could snap my fingers and dissolve them all instantly I'd break all of my phalanges from snapping and snapping.

What you claim is the “end result of the logic of Capitalism” is not Capitalism. Not even close. To be honest, I don’t think you know what Capitalism is, and all you’re doing is spouting talking points from Marxists sites that mischaracterize Capitalism all the time. 
 It’s almost comical, because a huge part of the problem is greed (for money and power) by those in government. But you would have them (the government) have even more power to do as they please just to see “evil corporations” crumble. 
 Unfortunately, the only true way to protect the working is to have less power given to the government. Because after all, they are the ones giving cover for “evil corporations” in the first place. And the type of system you prescribe to is not only illogical, as it compounds the problems you see with your warped version of capitalism, but it is also inherently evil. Capitalism is not.

1 Like

Why would anyone want to build a company, hire people, and then run it “democratically”. That’s beyond stupid. 

The Jentleman -

Why would anyone want to build a company, hire people, and then run it “democratically”. That’s beyond stupid. 

Workers could start their own democratic companies now, it's not like it's illegal.  There are a few, but the lack of these companies suggest this format is not the best way to run a business

Pustak - 
The Jentleman -
Slap Johnson -

^ At the end of the day, this exemplifies the critique from the Leftist very well.

Very adept at reciting criticisms of capitalism... and of course there are many valid issues. Very good at creating a narrative about the logic of Capitalism, at least as seen from the look-in from the outside.

But not so good at:

- Having the self-awareness to contemplate unintended consequences of their own alternatives (to the extent that they can even come up with actual implementable ideas).

- Looking at the logic of their own predilections and to where they lead, with anywhere near the critical capability they demonstrate when they look at capitalism.

And along the way betraying the underlying desire for authoritarianism (while calling the other side fascist) that ironically underlies their humanitarian intent... I wish I could snap my fingers and make everybody do what I want them to do

Snap, snap, comrade.