The direction of BJJ makes me sad

I just don’t see why everyone needs to be so negative, no matter what side of the coin is being discussed.

one day it’s:
jiu jitsu guys today would kill bjj guys from yesterday… It’s evolved so much

another days:
modern bjj is a joke

I have fun with it all… I enjoy screwing around with modern bjj, but I don’t let that be the core part of my game. I just want to understand it. I don’t pull guard. I fight for top position and I try not to sacrifice dominant position. Train takedowns…I like to focus on TDs where I end up in dominant position without huge positional risks

I make sure that both my gi and no-gi games are on point.

I don’t think the culture is toxic (although in the wider mma group i think it is) but in bjj the academies I visit are all so welcoming. They have people from all walks of like. Many strangers strike up friendly conversations if I’m wearing a bjj tshirt.

idk… I think you can make it whatever u want it to be and I think it’s alright to be nostalgic without shitting on the current state of things.

7 Likes

Given that virtually every street fight is uploaded to YouTube, where are all the videos of sport bjj people getting smashed in street fights in winnable circumstances?

BTW, I just noticed and started watching Damian Maia’s Self-defense videos on Youtube.

They are BJJ/MMA based street self-defense videos. Not the traditional “GJJ Self-Defense curriculum”, but how you would actually employ BJJ in a fight.

VERY simple stuff. I like them.

11 Likes

What if you raped your mugger? How do you suppose that would unfold legally?

Just so I’m clear, but Randori you mean “rolling” right? Why should it be forbidden? I agree about perfecting execution but doesn’t it make sense to “put it all together” too?

It would just be funny to see people’s faces when the osoto gari they learned on their first day doesn’t work on the street against a resisting person because they’ve never practiced good set ups for it on a resisting person

1 Like

I hear you man, but honestly, with all due respect, you are part of the problem…
Totally get what you are saying but lets look at the situation critically. There ar many divides but for the sake of discussion ill split them in two groups

1-Othodox /classic Jiujitsu
&
2-Sport jiu-jitsu

As demonstrated by just about every academy that takes the time to teach the full art its what the majority of the population want. The average practioner looking for the benefits of BJJ never heard of a worm guard :slight_smile:

In my academy, its probably a 4-1 split in terms of program size. (Core program being larger)

But what happened is most people in the orthodox side of things chose not to compete in any capacity & have this hero-worship thing down to the point they believe only the BJJ gods can teach that, so wont do anything except complain online about why the arts no going how they want.

Whereas on the other side “the sport guys” said ok Forget all that!! I want that medal this is what I’m doing to win under these rules, I’m taking all the steroids!! I don’t care about mma !!! Self-defense!! Takedowns or none of that!!! im build my game to win in this style that’s it.

Essentially the taekwondo’ification of BJJ :slight_smile: you are 100 percent correct but what is complaining about what they are doing while not supporting those in your category going to do??

There are plenty of resources guys like

Javi Vasquez
Renzo Gracie
Gracie university
Valente bros
Wald Bloise

And on and on are teaching exactly what you are looking for and fi they are not you can start.

Ive been around the block with the mma thing & cross trained in a bunch of other systems so upon finding some of the fight based applications laid out in the “BJJ Bible” a bit lacking compared to solutions in other systems like wrestling of judo, I said ok let me make offer an upgrade.

Here is my more core bjj class for people interested in learning the fight based foundation of the art and if you want sport or no-gi hop on over to these separate programs.

There is literally nothing stopping any of you.

Jiu-jitsu belongs to whoever uses it best, so please stop sitting around waiting for a savior.

Rickson / Renzo did their thing in and out of the ring and as someone pushing 50/60 years old its not on them or any of the old time legends to float our boat.

Mind you sport guy have evolved and control the discussion about jiujitsu to the point you may think that all there is …

This same thing happened with Judo back in the day, transformed from a martial art, to sport and you can’t complain when we all have the same opportunity to keep this branch of the art alive and growing.

You don’t don’t have to be an MMA fighter or Gracie to teach/focus on how to use jiujitsu for a fight.

sign up for Rickson’s or Gracie academy and start practicing because no amount of posting online is going to stop the sport BJJ train from evolving, getting more viewership, more $$$$ and eating up every bit of space it can.

Nature abhors a vacuum and if you don’t build now… right now!! The Sports only going to take up more and more of the market

5 Likes

i came up (to brown) through a very SD oriented curriculum, instructor was under the Valente Bros. the SD techniques aren’t very applicable with the exception of the headlock escapes and defensive guard work with punches. you would be better off cross training mma tbh. the stick, knife and gun stuff is laughable.

you dont need to use DLR/deep 1/2, heel hooks or berimbolo on an untrained opponent because they arent going to give you that look. what you will use is basic bitch stuff that works: closed guard, cross choke, armbar, hip bump sweep etc.

3 Likes

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This. The self defense aspect of bjj is pretty much mcdojo. I don’t see how it’s different than jjj or something along those lines. Paint by number choreographed techniques don’t work. Self defense should be about concepts.

3 Likes

I want to hear more about training under a Valente Bros black belt.

Are there moves/positions that are frowned upon during rolling because you could get punched?

You know what form of bjj works? The ass-kicking kind. Taking someone down or throwing them with authority, passing their guard, getting mount or back mount and punching them in the head or choking them.

It works in mma. It works in sport bjj and it works in most any unarmed street confrontation.

If you train to be able to do that, you’re good. If you’re training to defend that, stop being such a pussy. We’re lions, not lambs.

4 Likes

a time not too long ago guys like Bustamante and renzo would in a span of 6 months do a vale tudo, gi tourney and adcc, its not impossible but today with the growth of the art and people specializing now as a competitor its best to focus on what you are doing and forget the rest… just look at Palhares who is one of the most feared MMA grapplers… he got walked over by 21 year old puple belt Andrew tacket in no gi & Cole Abate 9 blue belt is tapping all but the very best competition black belts in any competitive format. Unless you have a competition coming up just do what you like

1 Like

100%

didn’t it kind of start out as Thuggery?

2 Likes

I disagree with this.

4 Likes

You only need 4 stripe white belt level stuff for self defense. Everything after that is calculus

1 Like

So I know at 42 with some injuries it’s not going to go well anyways. But I work as a security guard who unfortunately has to physically remove or restrain people from time to time. I’m not looking forward to the time I have to use physicality against a larger or even semi-skilled/trained individual. I am not far from David Terrell’s school in Santa Rosa, California and am thinking this is where I should go. Am I going to get some of the old school fighting and self defense stuff there? Because I gotta try and learn something more that’s for sure.

1 Like

It’s worth taking a look. Terrell is an old school MMA guy, so he’s likely to not go too far down the sports end of things. Though that’s just me speculating.

1 Like

If you can’t take someone down bjj is useless on the street.